Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

I'm really unlucky with this ports thing :(
When you say "you can build a USBPorts.kext or SSDT in Hackintool by only copying across the ports you need etc."

How exactly do I do that? I get how I can copy ports under XHC in ioreg but how do I paste it in Hackintool? Shall I test all USB ports with a USB2 device then a USB3 device and copy what changes? Also if I go this way, do I still need to rename the EHCI controllers? Sorry for all the questions, this is something I struggle with a lot, thanks

I would do the renaming, even though the ports might work without.

What I meant about using IORegistryExplorer and Hackintool is - view the correct ports as configured in IOReg and then compare with Hackintool. Delete in Hackintool all ports except those in IOReg. No copy and pasting necessary.

Once done, export USBPorts.kext.

Notes:

1) You probably need OpenCore to boot Big Sur.

2) If you want a port-limit removal for Big Sur use the OpenCore Quirk - XhciPortLimit. No need for a patch any more.

:)

Hey there!

I have problems with my BCM94360NG network card. Wifi is working fine but bluetooth won't work not even a device is shown in properties. I have read that I have to address the USB mapping right to get it working. So I installed USBInjectall.kext (0.7.3) and also enabled the port limit in Open Core Configurator but in Hackintool the Bluetooth controller won't shown up. Any ideas? I'm very confused.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-05 um 13.56.50.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-05 um 13.56.50.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 54
Hi everybody,
let me know if I'm correct.
I have a Z370 MB with native XCH Controller and ASMedia Controller. I also installed a Thunderbolt Controller but is not seen by Big Sur (no drivers installed seen through Hardware Monitor).
Concerning USB Controllers I can manage ports with Hackingtool reducingig the number to 15, having monitored each port with USB devices 2.0 and 3.0. So I generated USBports.kext I install with OC 0.6.3. Strangely I see only HS ports and not SS (except the last one, see picture).
Cannot consider USB 3.1 and USB-C ports I imagine controlled by ASMedia device (type PXSX).
Nevertheless I can use these ports that are managed under USB Bus 3.1 (Hardware Monitor) with their speed a 5 Gb/s.
Reading these last posts I imagine I have nothing to do, right?
Only one question: how can I activate Thunderbolt device (GC-TITAN RIDGE I could see with Hackingtool when using UBSInjectAll.kext instead of USBports.kexts)?
Bye

Attachments

• 1607183224255.png
    1607183224255.png
    235 KB · Views: 44
Hi everybody,
let me know if I'm correct.
I have a Z370 MB with native XCH Controller and ASMedia Controller. I also installed a Thunderbolt Controller but is not seen by Big Sur (no drivers installed seen through Hardware Monitor).
Concerning USB Controllers I can manage ports with Hackingtool reducingig the number to 15, having monitored each port with USB devices 2.0 and 3.0. So I generated USBports.kext I install with OC 0.6.3. Strangely I see only HS ports and not SS (except the last one, see picture).
Cannot consider USB 3.1 and USB-C ports I imagine controlled by ASMedia device (type PXSX).
Nevertheless I can use these ports that are managed under USB Bus 3.1 (Hardware Monitor) with their speed a 5 Gb/s.
Reading these last posts I imagine I have nothing to do, right?
Only one question: how can I activate Thunderbolt device (GC-TITAN RIDGE I could see with Hackingtool when using UBSInjectAll.kext instead of USBports.kexts)?
Bye
they are all set to internal.... only your wifi card and webcam should be set to internal as they are on the internal ports

you will have to change the others to USB3.0 etc...

What @Feartech said ... and please explain how you created your USBPorts.kext. Did you install USBInjectAll.kext and the port-limit removal Quirk in OC to show all ports to Hackintool?

Because Big Sur quite happily blocks the whole process.

If you created your USBPorts.kext under Catalina or earlier, that's fine. It will transfer when you upgrade. However the fact all ports were set as Internal but no more than 1x USB3 port was configured confuses me, I must admit.

o_O

Thank you both,
I created USBports internally OC some days ago.
Anyway after your feedback I restarted with USBInjectAll and the quirk xhciPortLimit set to true. I confirm in this case the thunderbolt controller appears and I can connect a usb-c key mounted in OS.
Then I opened Hackintool and made a new selection of HXCI ports as shown in the picture.
New USBPorts.kext and restarted, switching off also xhciPortLimit. Moved also webcam to a free red USB port on the back.
Now Thunderbolt remains loaded into the system and IOregistry shows a regular (at least imo) mapping of all devices. Do you agree?

Attachments

• USB ports last.jpg
    USB ports last.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IOReg last.jpg
    IOReg last.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 57
Thank you both,
Anyway after your feedback I restarted with USBInjectAll and the quirk xhciPortLimit set to true. I confirm in this case the thunderbolt controller appears and I can connect a usb-c key mounted in OS.
Then I opened Hackintool and made a new selection of HXCI ports as shown in the picture.
New USBPorts.kext and restarted, switching off also xhciPortLimit. Moved also webcam to a free red USB port on the back.
Now Thunderbolt remains loaded into the system and IOregistry shows a regular (at least imo) mapping of all devices. Do you agree?
wifi card needs to be set to internal

wifi card needs to be set to internal

Thank you both,

Yes, agreed. Without the actual IOReg output to double check, it looks like the Thunderbolt controller and the ASMedia controller are present where they should be. Their USB ports should work but without power management. Looks like the webcam is on an ASMedia port.

You have set all to USB3 but the two black ports under the LAN socket are USB2 so set them correctly. (You might have excluded them but if not... etc.)

Also ...

The Intel XHC ports look better now but, do as @Feartech says: BCM20702A0 = Internal.

Ok guys, you're the best so I've to follow your reccomendations.
Here is now how i set my USB ports. Of course we can see only XHCI, the others remain hidden.
I also removed SS09 since this is USB 2.0 only.
One more question: is there any trick to have power management from other controllers? SSDT modifications needed?
Bye

Attachments

• USB Ports opt.jpg
    USB Ports opt.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 41
Ok guys, you're the best so I've to follow your reccomendations.
Here is now how i set my USB ports. Of course we can see only XHCI, the others remain hidden.
I also removed SS09 since this is USB 2.0 only.
One more question: is there any trick to have power management from other controllers? SSDT modifications needed?
Bye

That's great :thumbup:.

Third-party controllers do have power-management and this is coded in the manufacturer's drivers. But the problem is, these codes are usually different to those for Intel chipsets. If you check IORegistryExplorer you can see the values Intel uses. As it is rare for up-to-date third-party drivers to be available for Mac we usually have to live with the lack of proper power management. But if you discover the correct codes you can certainly implement proper power-management with an SSDT.

However, as we usually get to our 15-limit using Intel ports there isn't a great incentive to go this route.

Back