Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Sorry I missed your first post. I was not 'notified'.

USBPorts.kext does indeed work for Catalina and any upgrades because it patches ACPI before the macOS loads. I have not yet tried Big Sur but I do not expect any problems.

And yes, the USBPorts.kext works fine with both Clover and OpenCore bootloaders. You just have to remember to add the kext to the Kernel section of your OC config.plist, miss out the path to the executable, because it doesn't have one, but still link the "Info.plist".

:)
No problem, it happens, thanks :)

Yes I noticed, it's more a matter of taking the snapshot with ProperTree, with the complete EFI of the files to use.
If you don't, O.C. keeps looking for old stuff or doesn't look for new stuff because config.plist is out of date.
PS: I also tried with the SSDT I had for the USB, before doing the Kext, which worked and continues to work (only for the start and operation of Catalina with O.C. because then the update was done with USBport.kext)

No problem, it happens, thanks :)

Yes I noticed, it's more a matter of taking the snapshot with ProperTree, with the complete EFI of the files to use.
If you don't, O.C. keeps looking for old stuff or doesn't look for new stuff because config.plist is out of date.
PS: I also tried with the SSDT I had for the USB, before doing the Kext, which worked and continues to work (only for the start and operation of Catalina with O.C. because then the update was done with USBport.kext)

Going forward USBInjectAll.kext will likely get blocked by macOS, so this is why USBPorts.kext is important.

@UtterDisbelief I hope I'm not being too much of a pain here, but I ran into something else that has me stumped.

After installing USBInjectAll.kext, adding the PLRs, and rebooting, I opened Hackintool and clicked on the USB tab. At first I didn't think anything of it, but there are no SS## listings. All are HS## (plus one USR# port at the end). I took 20 minutes to create a diagram labeling all ports in my setup, and only then noticed that there were no SS ports (which according to your tutorial represent USB 3/3.1) in the list.

Here is what I see:
Hackintool USB ports.jpg

Before I started this, I had USB 3.0 functionality; now when I plug in my USB 3.0 drive nothing registers in Hackintool and the drive does not mount to the desktop. For what it's worth, my Vava USB C hub is recognized (but only as a "USB2.0 Hub" device) and USB 2.0 drives plugged into it mount just fine; my USB 3.0 drive still does not mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@UtterDisbelief I hope I'm not being too much of a pain here, but I ran into something else that has me stumped.

After installing USBInjectAll.kext, adding the PLRs, and rebooting, I opened Hackintool and clicked on the USB tab. At first I didn't think anything of it, but there are no SS## listings. All are HS## (plus one USR# port at the end). I took 20 minutes to create a diagram labeling all ports in my setup, and only then noticed that there were no SS ports (which according to your tutorial represent USB 3/3.1) in the list.

Here is what I see:
View attachment 484151
Before I started this, I had USB 3.0 functionality; now when I plug in my USB 3.0 drive nothing registers in Hackintool and the drive does not mount to the desktop. For what it's worth, my Vava USB C hub is recognized (but only as a "USB2.0 Hub" device) and USB 2.0 drives plugged into it mount just fine; my USB 3.0 drive still does not mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there.

That is a classic sign that the port-limit removal patches are not working. This can be because of a typo, because the PLRPs are for a different version of macOS, USBInjectAll.kext is in the wrong place or that version 0.7.5 is being used. I recommend 0.7.1 or 0.7.3.

For Catalina your USBInjectAll.kext should be in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other if you keep SIP enabled. Even with it disabled I still recommend the EFI location. Catalina is much more "fussy" about third-party kexts. And don't duplicate locations either.

Also remember that after any changes you make you need to "refresh" Hackintool's display. To do this select the broom icon in the bottom row, and then the circular-arrows icon next to it.

By all means upload your current EFI folder - just blank your serial-number and UUID in config.plist - and we'll take a look.

Hi there.

That is a classic sign that the port-limit removal patches are not working. This can be because of a typo, because the PLRPs are for a different version of macOS, USBInjectAll.kext is in the wrong place or that version 0.7.5 is being used. I recommend 0.7.1 or 0.7.3.

For Catalina your USBInjectAll.kext should be in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other if you keep SIP enabled. Even with it disabled I still recommend the EFI location. Catalina is much more "fussy" about third-party kexts. And don't duplicate locations either.

Also remember that after any changes you make you need to "refresh" Hackintool's display. To do this select the broom icon in the bottom row, and then the circular-arrows icon next to it.

By all means upload your current EFI folder - just blank your serial-number and UUID in config.plist - and we'll take a look.

Ok, let me try everything again from the beginning.

Yes, I see that I went with 0.7.5 (the current version provided in the kext link from post #1). I'll switch to an older one.

Thanks!

Ok, let me try everything again from the beginning.

Yes, I see that I went with 0.7.5 (the current version provided in the kext link from post #1). I'll switch to an older one.

Thanks!

Okay :thumbup:

My suggestion to use a slightly older version of USBInjectAll.kext is specific to your problem. The kext is in active development again and occasionally I see conflicts we are still working to iron out. They don't affect the majority of users.

Okay :thumbup:

My suggestion to use a slightly older version of USBInjectAll.kext is specific to your problem. The kext is in active development again and occasionally I see conflicts we are still working to iron out. They don't affect the majority of users.

I downloaded USBInjectAll v. 0.7.3 and installed it in the EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other directory. I then added the PLR patches as such:
config.plist PLR patches.jpg

When I save, reboot, and load up Hackintool I still see the same thing as the screenshot I posted last night. I refresh the list using the broom and refresh buttons, to no avail.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• config.plist PLR patches.jpg
    config.plist PLR patches.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I downloaded USBInjectAll v. 0.7.3 and installed it in the EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other directory. I then added the PLR patches as such:
View attachment 484200
When I save, reboot, and load up Hackintool I still see the same thing as the screenshot I posted last night. I refresh the list using the broom and refresh buttons, to no avail.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Okay, please upload your EFI folder as I suggested in post #921, so we can check it. :thumbup:

Okay, please upload your EFI folder as I suggested in post #921, so we can check it. :thumbup:

To clarify, blanking means I can delete out those values and save the config.plist file (followed by uploading it). Once that's done I can simply regenerate the values again using the Mac model selector?

To clarify, blanking means I can delete out those values and save the config.plist file (followed by uploading it). Once that's done I can simply regenerate the values again using the Mac model selector?

Answered my own question. EFI folder (.zip) attached with serial and UUID blanked.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.2 MB · Views: 71
Back