Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

You mentioned previously this was your daughter's machine. Is it the same hardware as yours?

Test again after adding the port-limit removal patch and removing any SSDT or USBPorts configurations.

If bluetooth still absent, what type is it?

I haven't spotted which version of macOS you are using. Also your experience could be affected by the system definition you are using. Your hardware is markedly different to the OP's.

Again, what type of bluetooth adapter are you using?

Things to try:

If not using 19,1 or 19,2 revert USBInjectAll to version 0.7.1.

Steer clear of the 4x rear panel USB 3.1 gen 1 ports as they are on a hub and cause problems.

:)
thx for your answer!
Sorry 'bout the missing info!
Im on Mojave 10.14.6 18G4032, SMBIOS 19,1 , Using a BCM94360CS2 Adapter.

Thx for the tip about the rear panel usbs, however I never had problems with any of them before.. ¯\(°_o)/¯

I just fixed all the above described problems by rolling back to USBinjectall 0.7.3. Bluetooth works :)

That was unexpected. Looks like something about my setup or config doesn't like the latest 0.7.5 version. I think I've tried literally everything but completely remapping all the usb (for time's sake) Maybe its even an error on the programming side? I'll look into it however I'm far from an expert ...

Thx and I hope that maybe that workaround can solve your problem as well @dsk ?

thx for your answer!
Sorry 'bout the missing info!
Im on Mojave 10.14.6 18G4032, SMBIOS 19,1 , Using a BCM94360CS2 Adapter.

Thx for the tip about the rear panel usbs, however I never had problems with any of them before.. ¯\(°_o)/¯

I just fixed all the above described problems by rolling back to USBinjectall 0.7.3. Bluetooth works :)

That was unexpected. Looks like something about my setup or config doesn't like the latest 0.7.5 version. I think I've tried literally everything but completely remapping all the usb (for time's sake) Maybe its even an error on the programming side? I'll look into it however I'm far from an expert ...

Thx and I hope that maybe that workaround can solve your problem as well @dsk ?

Good news :thumbup:

I've seen a couple of cases now where going back a step with USBInjectAll.kext solves this problem. I'll contact the dev. iMac19,1 was included in the earlier version but iMac19,2 was not and that's why it was updated. However that was 0.7.3.

As for the rear-panel ports - if you are using the Broadcom card then I guess you are using an Internal port for Bluetooth anyway, unlike the OP.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Okay then, what about BIOS update? Do you recommend it? I would like to update my BIOS to see if it makes any difference..

Perhaps try going back to version 0.7.1 of USBInjectAll.kext.

This probably doesn't matter, but my USB-C port is HS02 and SS03.

I have set both to Type 0x09.

Is this correct?

Similarly, where I have a 3.1 type-A port, I mark HS07 and SS07 at Type 0x03

This probably doesn't matter, but my USB-C port is HS02 and SS03.

I have set both to Type 0x09.

Is this correct?

Similarly, where I have a 3.1 type-A port, I mark HS07 and SS07 at Type 0x03

Hi there.

Yes, that's fine as long as you have tested and everything is working as it should :thumbup:

And yes, your USB Connector values are fine - if you tested the reversability of the USB-C port.

I followed the guide to fix the USB ports for a Dell 9020 USFF that has two USB 2s and 3s on the rear and one USB 2 and 3 on the front. There is an internal USB unknown that I kept. It has a WiFi/BT half-mini PCE card (this one, click here). The WiFi works OOB just fine. The BT works in Mint Linux and Windows 10. So, I am pretty sure this internal USB is talking the BT in those operating systems. This is what I now have with the USBPorts.kext E/K/O. Before creating that kext, Hackintool revealed exactly 15 ports. So, I'm not sure if this further refinement will help. (The BT you do see is a dongle that I am using in place of the WiFi card's BT. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 8.21.23 AM.png

I followed the guide to fix the USB ports for a Dell 9020 USFF that has two USB 2s and 3s on the rear and one USB 2 and 3 on the front. There is an internal USB unknown that I kept. It has a WiFi/BT half-mini PCE card (this one, click here). The WiFi works OOB just fine. The BT works in Mint Linux and Windows 10. So, I am pretty sure this internal USB is talking the BT in those operating systems. This is what I now have with the USBPorts.kext E/K/O. Before creating that kext, Hackintool revealed exactly 15 ports. So, I'm not sure if this further refinement will help. (The BT you do see is a dongle that I am using in place of the WiFi card's BT. Any suggestions?

View attachment 473726

Hi there.

Yes, you need to use USBInjectAll.kext and the port-limit removal patches so that you can identify that internal USB header your wifi/bt card is attached to.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

After getting usbinjectall.kext working on ym daughters computer , i re read the installation thread and it said not to use it:

Since the 6300 Pro has an older 7 series chipset (Q75) and is an Ivy Bridge based system, the changes in El Capitan/Sierra do not affect the USB ports of the 6300. Raising the max port limit or installing USBinjectall kext and a custom ssdt are not part of this guide for that reason. If you have tried installing either of those you should remove them. The USB issues are being caused by something else.

SO i deleted the usbport.kext i made and just did it straight according to the tutorial:

Now my bluetooth has stopped working on both computers and i am wondering if it is a bad usb adapter, i will see if anyone has any ideas or just buy this one as its recommended:

GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Broadcom Chip Dongle

Before i buy it does anyone know what would be causing my current Belkin USB bluetooth to play up it is:
BLUETOOTH USB +EDR ADAPTER v2.1 UHE
BCM2046B1

Thanks for everyones tips!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 20.28.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 20.28.51.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 59
Hi Everyone

After getting usbinjectall.kext working on ym daughters computer , i re read the installation thread and it said not to use it:

Since the 6300 Pro has an older 7 series chipset (Q75) and is an Ivy Bridge based system, the changes in El Capitan/Sierra do not affect the USB ports of the 6300. Raising the max port limit or installing USBinjectall kext and a custom ssdt are not part of this guide for that reason. If you have tried installing either of those you should remove them. The USB issues are being caused by something else.

SO i deleted the usbport.kext i made and just did it straight according to the tutorial:

Now my bluetooth has stopped working on both computers and i am wondering if it is a bad usb adapter, i will see if anyone has any ideas or just buy this one as its recommended:

GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Broadcom Chip Dongle

Before i buy it does anyone know what would be causing my current Belkin USB bluetooth to play up it is:
BLUETOOTH USB +EDR ADAPTER v2.1 UHE
BCM2046B1

Thanks for everyones tips!

While it is possible your Belkin BT is faulty, it's maybe okay.

Just put USBInjectAll.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and check again.
If it still doesn't show try the port-limit removal patches, with the kext, and test again.

Don't worry about other stuff right now, we just want to see if the adapter works.

Hi there.

Yes, you need to use USBInjectAll.kext and the port-limit removal patches so that you can identify that internal USB header your wifi/bt card is attached to.

Splendid. I found one indicated as "internal" and counted that as an active port even though the BT module on the WiFi card wasn't recognized yet. Is there, to your knowledge, a way to get Catalina 10.5.6 to recognize the module? I've been experimenting with the BCRMPatchRAM3.kext and related kexts found here. But the card I have, although not tested in the list, appears to be one of those that should work (given the Vendor and ID nos.).

For that .kext to work, you need the revived/revised BRCMBluetoothInjector.kext and, in theory, it is covered by the code:

<key>0b05_180a</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>3000</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBHostDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>6154</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>2821</integer>
</dict>

Anyway, the price for this card is pretty fair and so, it might be worth a little more effort. But I think the development of the BRCMPatchRAM3 kext is not being pursued at this writing. Tweaking these kexts could open up a nice array of inexpensive Dell Optiplex USFF with the PCE slot inside for a nearly OOB experience.

Back