Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hi there,

There's nothing wrong with USBInjectAll.lext.

Any problems will be caused by configuration.

As @Feartech explained, for Catalina you need to install 3rd-party kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Looking at your post #707 it is clear from Hackintoool that USBInjectAll.kext is working and the port-limit removal patch is too. :thumbup:

However, to help further it would be useful to see your EFI folder (by all means remove your serial-number from config.plist but otherwise leave unaltered etc). OR an *.ioreg export.

:)

I've attached the Ioreg report. Sorry if I haven't done anything correctly. I am a complete noob at this and I apologise in advance if there is another thread on this I could've been directed to. Thank you so much for helping!

Attachments

• Azrim iMac.ioreg
    10.3 MB · Views: 61
I've attached the Ioreg report. Sorry if I haven't done anything correctly. I am a complete noob at this and I apologise in advance if there is another thread on this I could've been directed to. Thank you so much for helping!

Okay, thanks. Yes, that's fine :thumbup:

Let's make a start ...

1) Remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. If it is in Library/Extensions then also rebuild your kext-caches using Terminal command: sudo kextcache -i /

Reboot.

2) Rename your EHCI controllers as per the guide: EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02. You can use Clover Configurator to do this. Load your config.plist and go to the ACPI tab. In the top panel use the pull-down menu to add the two entries.

Reboot.

3) One of your EHCI controllers is "missing". It might be returned once you correct the kext at point 1). You can check again by using Hackintool and going to the USB tab. There should be 3x controllers - 2x XHCI and 2x EHCI.

Otherwise let us know what other kexts you have in Drive: Library/Extensions.

Okay, thanks. Yes, that's fine :thumbup:

Let's make a start ...

1) Remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. If it is in Library/Extensions then also rebuild your kext-caches using Terminal command: sudo kextcache -i /

Reboot.

2) Rename your EHCI controllers as per the guide: EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02. You can use Clover Configurator to do this. Load your config.plist and go to the ACPI tab. In the top panel use the pull-down menu to add the two entries.

Reboot.

3) One of your EHCI controllers is "missing". It might be returned once you correct the kext at point 1). You can check again by using Hackintool and going to the USB tab. There should be 3x controllers - 2x XHCI and 2x EHCI.

Otherwise let us know what other kexts you have in Drive: Library/Extensions.

wow! all I had to was step 1. Delete that kext from the EFI clover folder and it started working!!! Thankyou so so much. I haven't decided to do steps 2 or 3 but I have attached a new IOreg export and the screen shot of hackintool.

if you think I need to some more fixing somewhere please let me know. But you are a star!! I love this forum!

Attachments

• Azrim2.0 iMac.ioreg
    10.4 MB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 01.16.22.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 01.16.22.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 52
I can't seem to figure out one particular issue:

My machine does NOT like it when I use an USB 3.0 Hub.
It gets picked up by the HSxx address (USB2), and just continuously plugs and unplugs in an endless loop!! This slows down the machine to a halt, and eventually crashes the machine.

Notes:

• I'm not using any ACPI patches, KextsToPatch patches, or custom SSDT's.
  • This happens with USBInjectAll.kext OR custom USBPort.kext!

Attaching a screenshot of IOReg for reference.
Anyone else experiencing this??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.03.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.03.43 PM.png
    354.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I can't seem to figure out one particular issue:

My machine does NOT like it when I use an USB 3.0 Hub.
It gets picked up by the HSxx address (USB2), and just continuously plugs and unplugs in an endless loop!! This slows down the machine to a halt, and eventually crashes the machine.

Notes:

• I'm not using any ACPI patches, KextsToPatch patches, or custom SSDT's.
  • This happens with USBInjectAll.kext AND custom USBPort.kext!

Attaching a screenshot of IOReg for reference.
Anyone else experiencing this??
USBInjectAll.kext requires a custom SSDT

USBInjectAll.kext and USBPort.kext shouldn't be used together

USBInjectAll.kext requires a custom SSDT

The plug/unplug loop happens with a basic USBInjectAll.kext + Port Limits patch setup for port discovery.
Note that ports limit patch doesn't even have to be present for the loop cycle to happen.

USBInjectAll.kext and USBPort.kext shouldn't be used together

They're not. I meant that the loop cycle happens whether I'm using USBInjectAll.kext (for port discovery, as aforementioned), or a custom USBPorts.kext (after ports have been mapped)

The plug/unplug loop happens with a basic USBInjectAll.kext + Port Limits patch setup for port discovery.
Note that ports limit patch doesn't even have to be present for the loop cycle to happen.

They're not. I meant that the loop cycle happens whether I'm using USBInjectAll.kext (for port discovery, as aforementioned), or a custom USBPorts.kext (after ports have been mapped)
if you zip and upload your clover folder, then someone may be able to help

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.2 MB · Views: 96
for any good soul willing to help...
what version of macOS are you running?

make sure to use the correct Port Limit Patch as per your OS version

and also you "may" need to enable XHCI to XHC in your Patches section

what version of macOS are you running?

make sure to use the correct Port Limit Patch as per your OS version

I'm on 10.13.6

and also you "may" need to enable XHCI to XHC in your Patches section

I'm following the x299 @kgp guide, and just going down the list, in order. USB port discovery is in E.4, and XHC XHCI PCI implementation is way down the list, at E.9. I'm not sure if/how these two things are related??

I've noticed that when I have XHCI -> XHC patches enabled, i'll get multiple copies of the ports showing up in Hackintools (see attached image), one as an XHC device, and another as an XHCI.
I've tried generating USB port mapping by selecting just the ports listed as XHC, as well as just the ones as XHCI (these display the correct port "########" (number address), as seen in IOReg). I've also tried creating the custom kext from both together, and the issue is still the same.

Another thing I've noticed is that the USB3 ports show up under a single SSxx/HSxx addres, like they're part of an USB hub, as opposed to each port having their own SSxx/HSxx port assignment (see attached image). Is this normal?

UPDATE 1:

in attempting to isolate the cause of the plug/unplug behavior, ive removed any and all USB kexts/patches,etc, and the behavior persists.... going to try to see if this happens on the windows side, as well.

UPDATE 2:

After testing out the USB ports on the windows side, it looks like the same behavior is present.
Any device attached through an USB3 Hub gets continuously connected/disconnected. I've tried two different hubs, of Anker and Sabrent brands both with 4x ports.

Could this be a BIOS issue? A MoBo defect?

Attachments

• Hackintool.png
    Hackintool.png
    508.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IOReg_USB Addresses.png
    IOReg_USB Addresses.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back