Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

I orig followed this guide a couple years ago to get my usb ports mapped after installing Mojave. now, looking at my available usb ports in Hackintool or IORegistryExplorer there are extra ones (ones not mapped in USBPorts.kext), causing my USB3 ports to not work (past 15 limit - only 1 USB3 port now shows in IORegistryExplorer, all show in Hackintool but when usb3 drive plugged in it won't load). in Hackintool, the extra ports show as inactive (not highlighted in green)

I tried overwriting USBPorts.kext with a backup from when i orig sort them up, I also tried deleting the incorrect ports in Hackintool getting the list down 2 to 15 again, and creating a new USBPorts.kext and installing it in clover.

i also tried rebuilding kext cache (sudo kextcache -i /)

can anyone help?

Hi there.

Have you done any system upgrades at all? Maybe to the operating-system, like a security update, or to the hardware?

Hi there.

Have you done any system upgrades at all? Maybe to the operating-system, like a security update, or to the hardware?

no hardware changes.

haven't done any updates recently, but I'm sure there was a security update or 2 in the past 2 years, im on 10.14.6, which i believe is where i started (catalina had been out for a couple months but i decided to start with mojave at the time (was previously on high sierra but was fresh installing mojave to upgrade).

would a security update change my usb ports? I thought the USBPorts.kext would make only the ports specified in the kext as available and ignore all others - why would these ones not in the kext be showing then?

I also thought that this was supposed to work through future updates (found guides saying USBInjectAll doesn't work in Big Sur so to do this guide for USBPorts in Mojave and use kext on Big Sur)

I guess I will try deleting USBPorts.kext and starting the entire process over with USBInjectAll - Im guessing this would be the remedy if updates changed something.

no hardware changes.

haven't done any updates recently, but I'm sure there was a security update or 2 in the past 2 years, im on 10.14.6, which i believe is where i started (catalina had been out for a couple months but i decided to start with mojave at the time (was previously on high sierra but was fresh installing mojave to upgrade).

would a security update change my usb ports? I thought the USBPorts.kext would make only the ports specified in the kext as available and ignore all others - why would these ones not in the kext be showing then?

I also thought that this was supposed to work through future updates (found guides saying USBInjectAll doesn't work in Big Sur so to do this guide for USBPorts in Mojave and use kext on Big Sur)

I guess I will try deleting USBPorts.kext and starting the entire process over with USBInjectAll - Im guessing this would be the remedy if updates changed something.

Yes, you are correct about USBPorts.kext and I was only asking because something has changed to stop your ports working correctly. Stands to reason.

But if you changed nothing ...

Run IORegistryExplorer app and check the XHCI port tree. If it looks nothing like you USBPorts map then clearly the kext is not loading for some reason.

Check it is still in the EFI kext folder.
Check it is still enabled in config.plist.
Check you haven't changed System-Definition at any point.

Yes, you are correct about USBPorts.kext and I was only asking because something has changed to stop your ports working correctly. Stands to reason.

But if you changed nothing ...

Run IORegistryExplorer app and check the XHCI port tree. If it looks nothing like you USBPorts map then clearly the kext is not loading for some reason.

Check it is still in the EFI kext folder.
Check it is still enabled in config.plist.
Check you haven't changed System-Definition at any point.

yes something must have changed lol, sorry if it sounded like i was being disagreeable.

I had checked IORegistryExplorer XHCI tree - and it shows the extra usb2 ports, and only 1 usb3 port - since the other usb3 ports would be over the 15 limit, so guess kext is not loading.

kext is in elf kext other (also tried replacing it with a backup / new one.

as far as i know its enabled in config.plist - what specifically should i check for this? don't remember having to do anything other than put it in the kext folder - the other kexts there seem to be loading as my graphics card and ethernet and audio all work.

don't think i have changed the system definition.

didn't think to mention this at first but i guess the only hardware that changed is my monitor - which i had the magenta tint issue with (computer was connected with DVI to HDMI adapter - worked fine on old monitor, new monitor has magenta tint) I followed some guides for EDID patching (which fixed the magenta, but text was still blurry - so i undid this). I also tried framebuffer patching to fix this which would work if i made the system think the dvi port was an hdmi port, but then the display would go out at random. ultimately i decided to switch to just using HDMI, which is how its connected now (only reason i was using DVI was my KVM Switch is DVI - just bought a new DisplayPort KVM which i am setting up, and it has USB3 and trying to find the right port is what made me discover this issue). Right now no KVM is hooked up.

i made a backup of my EFI drive after first install - i am going to try replacing the current with backup as this would ensure config.plist is back to before anything i did with framebuffer patching.

Thank you for help so far and quick replies.

backup EFI did not work

removed USBPorts.kext and rebooted - seeing same thing as with the kext, so the kext is def not loading.

I also checked my wife's computer, which is almost the same build (mATX version of my ITX MB), which i set up almost the same way and at the same time as mine - however hers i have not done any modifications to hardware or software and did not make any changes to clover - only change would be security updates. It looks like hers has the same issue.

yes something must have changed lol, sorry if it sounded like i was being disagreeable.

I had checked IORegistryExplorer XHCI tree - and it shows the extra usb2 ports, and only 1 usb3 port - since the other usb3 ports would be over the 15 limit, so guess kext is not loading.

kext is in elf kext other (also tried replacing it with a backup / new one.

as far as i know its enabled in config.plist - what specifically should i check for this? don't remember having to do anything other than put it in the kext folder - the other kexts there seem to be loading as my graphics card and ethernet and audio all work.

don't think i have changed the system definition.

didn't think to mention this at first but i guess the only hardware that changed is my monitor - which i had the magenta tint issue with (computer was connected with DVI to HDMI adapter - worked fine on old monitor, new monitor has magenta tint) I followed some guides for EDID patching (which fixed the magenta, but text was still blurry - so i undid this). I also tried framebuffer patching to fix this which would work if i made the system think the dvi port was an hdmi port, but then the display would go out at random. ultimately i decided to switch to just using HDMI, which is how its connected now (only reason i was using DVI was my KVM Switch is DVI - just bought a new DisplayPort KVM which i am setting up, and it has USB3 and trying to find the right port is what made me discover this issue). Right now no KVM is hooked up.

i made a backup of my EFI drive after first install - i am going to try replacing the current with backup as this would ensure config.plist is back to before anything i did with framebuffer patching.

Thank you for help so far and quick replies.

No problem. :thumbup:

Perhaps ZIP and upload your EFI folder. Before you do remember to just blank-out your serial-number so no-one else can pinch it for their machine. It happens...

Then we can check it over for you.

attached - thanks again

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.9 MB · Views: 40
SMBIOS = iMac19,1.
USBPorts.kext = iMac18,3.

attached - thanks again
Your USBPort.kext is useless if it's configuration doesn't match you're SMBIOS, it will be ignored.

Back