Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Well, a lot of headaches, but some fun out of it. :lol:;)

:D:thumbup:

Ah, but there is no need for the PXSX ports to show up in Hackintool. They should just work anyway. If they don't then fair enough. But I feel your pain. I would prefer to have everything visible so I can understand it. Sometimes that will not happen!

The manufacturers of external USB chipsets rarely, if ever, write Mac drivers these days. CalDigital, NEC, ASMedia, Etron etc, have all been used in Macs and used to provide drivers - way, way back, but no longer. macOS just treats them as a Mac Pro would and lets them do their own thing. Usually they will work.

:)

Can you attach a copy of the USBMap.kext, the info.plist is not downloading.

Maybe you need to zip the Info.plist before attaching it to a post?

Thanks a lot! I'm totally impressed! :thumbup:
Looks like there's a confusion between HP18 and PRT8: HP18 appears indeed as "Express Card" in Hackintool (though the connector is rightly set to 0 in USBMap.kext) while the connected USB key appears under PRT8 in IOREG.
View attachment 543634

View attachment 543633

HP12 is the internal connector used for front USB (so I'll set it to 255, as you wrote).
EDIT: nope. Set to 255, it doesn't appear any more anywhere...

As for USB3, I've made your suggested renames, now it doesn't appear anywhere else than Apple Info (no Disk Utility, no Finder, No Hackintool...)
View attachment 543635

Here's the resulting IOREG, I add the new USBMap info.plist, if you want to check.

Well the info.plist is showing the Etron chipset USB ports as XHC with the 1b6f_7023 device ID for ports HP21 to HP26. o_O

In case you had not seen my EDITs above about HP12 and USB3, here's the USBMap.kext after making those changes (HP12 reverted to 0 and XHC reverted to PXSX).

Attachments

• USBMap.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 35
Well the info.plist is showing the Etron chipset USB ports as XHC with the 1b6f_7023 device ID for ports HP21 to HP26. o_O
My mistake! Indeed, the rename to XHC in config.plist was paired with the same modification in the USBMap. ;)

My mistake! Indeed, the rename to XHC in config.plist was paired with the same modification in the USBMap. ;)
No problem! :)

I do not have your PC to experiment with BUT I can see an issue with "port-count".

For example take AQAAAA== This relates to PRT1 on EH01, PTR1 on EH02 and port HS01 on XHC (Etron).

I would like to test and see if this is the problem. Perhaps Hackintool or USBMap can't cope with this kind of mixed configuration? The "port-count" refers not just to an integer but a physical port.

No problem! :)

I do not have your PC to experiment with BUT I can see an issue with "port-count".

For example take AQAAAA== This relates to PRT1 on EH01, PTR1 on EH02 and port HS01 on XHC (Etron).

I would like to test and see if this is the problem. Perhaps Hackintool or USBMap can't cope with this kind of mixed configuration? The "port-count" refers not just to an integer but a physical port.
I have not modified those values. AQAAAA== is Base64 for 01000000, which is the value displayed in PlistEdit Pro. What value should I use instead? Do you mean that they should all be different?
My brain has boiled enough for today. :mrgreen:
Have a good night!

Hi @Edhawk! I guess you didn't have time to check my USBMap.kext or should I consider this USB3 thing an impossible mission? ;)

My USB has major problems and I can't get the mapping process to work. About half of my USB ports don't respond at all when 3.0 and 2.0 devices inserted.

This is a recently resurrected older Z77X machine. I got an install of Big Sur 11.6.5 working, sort of, using OpenCore (7.6) and SMBIOS iMac14,4. Basically followed most recent Dortania guide to get this far. H/W: Z77x-UD3H, with i7, iGPU only, Broadcom PCIx wifi/BT, and with audio disabled in bios (I will use a hi-end USB DAC).

The board specs include 4 USB 3.0/2.0 and 6 USB 2.0/1.1 on the Z77 and an additional 4 USB 3.0/2.0 on a Via VL800.

Current USB status:
6 USB sockets on back panel - 2 work (used for USB mouse and kbd), 4 no response
3 USB pin connectors on mobo
- 1 shows Broadcom wifi/BT USB in ioreg (but no working BT, a prob to solve later)
- 2 nothing connect so not tested
2 sockets on front panel (1x2.0, 1x3.0)
- the 3.0 works (SSP1/HSP1);
- a 2.0 flash drive in the 2.0 socket mounts in Finder, but no-show in Hackintool

I currently have USBInjectAll.kext and port limit set to true. I can't figure out what else I need to do to get the mapping process working. Could it be that my SSDTs are causing trouble before the injectAll kext even starts? (I have stock SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-PM.aml from dortania.)

Where could the problem be ? User error or bad setup?

HackintoolUSB.jpg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 71
  • Z77X-UD3HBigSur.ioreg
    19.4 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Four of the USB3 ports on the rear I/O plate are not Intel USB ports. They a VIA USB ports, so might need something extra to work in macOS. Did you use any additional/third-party kexts in earlier versions of macOS? USBInjectAll.kext won’t work with the VIA USB ports.

If you are using OpenCore to boot your system the XhciPortLimit quirk no longer works in Big Sur 11.3+. You may need to install Catalina or an earlier version of macOS to undertake the USB port discovery, where the USB port limit patch does work.

Back