i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
With all the time and hardware expense of this "invisible desktop" project, just spend the money on a 2020 5K iMac instead. That's what I'd do anyway. Imagine the cost of all those 40mm Noctua fans ! $1020 for the fans alone. Those two very large Aloominium sheets are not cheap either. Since there's only a monitor and peripherals on the desktop it really has no need to be that wide. It's rather generic looking too if I might add.

Last edited:
With all the time and hardware expense of this "invisible desktop" project, just spend the money on a 2020 5K iMac instead. That's what I'd do anyway. Imagine the cost of all those 40mm Noctua fans ! $1020 for the fans alone. Those two very large Aloominium sheets are not cheap either. Since there's only a monitor and peripherals on the desktop it really has no need to be that wide.

Agreed.

I suppose the project has merit in showing what an alternative designer could do. I agree. Better to get an iMac and at least have proper sound, USB/TB ports, and a degree of portability. Plus it completely throws eco ideals out the window with those fans. An iMac would consume less power too. And a CPU cooler that is effectively passive ?

Lian-Li did make a "Desk PC" case once:

True, not so nice without the wood, but just as daft in my view.

Agreed.

I suppose the project has merit in showing what an alternative designer could do. I agree. Better to get an iMac and at least have proper sound, USB/TB ports, and a degree of portability. Plus it completely throws eco ideals out the window with those fans. An iMac would consume less power too. And a CPU cooler that is effectively passive ?

Lian-Li did make a "Desk PC" case once:

True, not so nice without the wood, but just as daft in my view.
The Lian-Li DK-05 is available now at an MSRP of $2099.99

This was done months before that, with more performing components and liquid cooling.
Apparently it works pretty well.
For aesthetics everyone has their own tastes ... however in a suitable environment it can be a good "image piece" ...

There are other previous videos that describe the project and implementation, for those who want to understand more ...

With all the time and hardware expense of this "invisible desktop" project, just spend the money on a 2020 5K iMac instead. That's what I'd do anyway. Imagine the cost of all those 40mm Noctua fans ! $1020 for the fans alone. Those two very large Aloominium sheets are not cheap either. Since there's only a monitor and peripherals on the desktop it really has no need to be that wide. It's rather generic looking too if I might add.

I do not understand why instead of using all those small fans, with all the surface available, he did not place horizontally normal or even larger fans in push on one side and in pull on the other (not above/below the table obviously:p), then using the same flow guiding system he used, configured to spin the flow according to the arrangement of the pushing and pulling fans.
It could have generated a much greater pressure, with much more silence and above all very low costs compared to those of all those microNoctua.
In addition, with all that aluminum he used, he could have used it much better to help dissipate the heat (a bit like he did in part by contact for the video card, but more by coincidence than for a transfer study of the heat behind).
In short, knowing him, he could do much better and maybe this is a 1.0 version and will propose the 2.0 much optimized and improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back