Contribute
Register

The GTX 650 Ti Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Could you link me to the one you're talking about?

No problem! It doesn't matter what brand you get as long as its a GTX 650 ti. However I got the EVGA brand, because it came with Assassins creed 3, looking at Newegg it doesn't look like their bundling that anymore. I would get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130839. I actually got the 928mhz one, because all my gaming is done under windows and you can software over clock it and achieve the same performance for $10 less, but it can only run at 928mhz under osx. The one I linked is bios over clocked and thus runs at 1071mhz in mac osx. The 650 ti is a very powerful card for regular day to day usage, so unless you do video editing or heavy gaming under OSX you should be fine with 928mhz version. I can max out all settings with the 928mhz one in broderlands 2 for mac osx. Anyways your call on the card...

No problem! It doesn't matter what brand you get as long as its a GTX 650 ti. However I got the EVGA brand, because it came with Assassins creed 3, looking at Newegg it doesn't look like their bundling that anymore. I would get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130839. I actually got the 928mhz one, because all my gaming is done under windows and you can software over clock it and achieve the same performance for $10 less, but it can only run at 928mhz under osx. The one I linked is bios over clocked and thus runs at 1071mhz in mac osx. The 650 ti is a very powerful card for regular day to day usage, so unless you do video editing or heavy gaming under OSX you should be fine with 928mhz version. I can max out all settings with the 928mhz one in broderlands 2 for mac osx. Anyways your call on the card...
Thanks. Maybe I'll enjoy the CPU mag subscription. First, I want to make sure the card can handle what I need it to. I run a YouTube channel and blog and I'm at the peak of some success. This said, I use iMovie to edit video and I will eventually use Premiere or Final Cut. In addition I'll run Windows in Parallels to play NBA 2K13 (I'm not a first person shooter type). Will this card be substantial? It fits my budget perfectly!

Thanks. Maybe I'll enjoy the CPU mag subscription. First, I want to make sure the card can handle what I need it to. I run a YouTube channel and blog and I'm at the peak of some success. This said, I use iMovie to edit video and I will eventually use Premiere or Final Cut. In addition I'll run Windows in Parallels to play NBA 2K13 (I'm not a first person shooter type). Will this card be substantial? It fits my budget perfectly!

You may be able to find a website that still bundles assassins creed 3, you should look around. Yes 928 vs 1071mhz is substantial. I would get the card with the higher clock then, because your doing a lot more gpu intensive things under osx. Since you are doing video editing, you may even want to get the 2gb version, but I dont think its necessary. Plus if your willing to spend that much, you might as well get a much better card.

You would get much better performance for your game if you have a dual boot setup, look into it. Parallels is fine for light stuff, but using it to game isnt very good, because it has to emulate a windows environment. You should have no problem maxing out all settings for that game, especially if you boot to windows. Under parallels you cpu will bottleneck long before your gpu does. Also when booting into windows you can overclock, this card overclocks amazingly (especially the memory clock), because it has the same gpu as the GTX 660 (which has gpu boost).

You may be able to find a website that still bundles assassins creed 3, you should look around. Yes 928 vs 1071mhz is substantial. I would get the card with the higher clock then, because your doing a lot more gpu intensive things under osx. Since you are doing video editing, you may even want to get the 2gb version, but I dont think its necessary. Plus if your willing to spend that much, you might as well get a much better card.

You would get much better performance for your game if you have a dual boot setup, look into it. Parallels is fine for light stuff, but using it to game isnt very good, because it has to emulate a windows environment. You should have no problem maxing out all settings for that game, especially if you boot to windows. Under parallels you cpu will bottleneck long before your gpu does. Also when booting into windows you can overclock, this card overclocks amazingly (especially the memory clock), because it has the same gpu as the GTX 660 (which has gpu boost).
Thanks! Not sure when I'll be getting the card. Soon enough though, within this month or the next. How hard is it to install? Will I have to reinstall OS X and run Multibeast?

Thanks! Not sure when I'll be getting the card. Soon enough though, within this month or the next. How hard is it to install? Will I have to reinstall OS X and run Multibeast?

No, none of that, it's very easy...
  1. Delete AppleTYMCEDriver.kext in your S/L/E (make sure your your running a mac pro 3,1 or something that allows you to install the nvidia drivers).
  2. Edit your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" under extras from boot drive by opening with textedit.
  3. Under the line "<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>" it should say "<string>Yes</string>" which is default by Chimera.
  4. Change this line to "<string>No</string>" this will stop chimera fron trying to inject your card, this is because the card is natively supported under OSX.
  5. Save the edited "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file
  6. Install NVDIA CUDA from "http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html"
  7. Install Drivers from here "http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html"
  8. Then shut down, plug card into your PCI Express 2.0 x16 or PCI Express 3.0 x16, it doesn't matter because the card will never saturate the lane. Don't forget to attach pci power cord from power supply.
  9. Plug monitor into card.
  10. reboot (you will notice chimera and the booting apple symbol will only appear take up about 3/4 of the screen, this is because the drivers have not yet been loaded, as soon as its done booting it should fill the screen).
  11. Your done, go under about this mac and make sure OSX recognizes it.
I haven't had a single kernel panic, crashes or anything. Works 100% with full acceleration, CUDA, OpenCL/GL, QE/CI, card throttling, and sleep. Hope I helped
-Aaron

No, none of that, it's very easy...
  1. Delete AppleTYMCEDriver.kext in your S/L/E (make sure your your running a mac pro 3,1 or something that allows you to install the nvidia drivers).
  2. Edit your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" under extras from boot drive by opening with textedit.
  3. Under the line "<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>" it should say "<string>Yes</string>" which is default by Chimera.
  4. Change this line to "<string>No</string>" this will stop chimera fron trying to inject your card, this is because the card is natively supported under OSX.
  5. Save the edited "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file
  6. Install NVDIA CUDA from "http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html"
  7. Install Drivers from here "http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html"
  8. Then shut down, plug card into your PCI Express 2.0 x16 or PCI Express 3.0 x16, it doesn't matter because the card will never saturate the lane. Don't forget to attach pci power cord from power supply.
  9. Plug monitor into card.
  10. reboot (you will notice chimera and the booting apple symbol will only appear take up about 3/4 of the screen, this is because the drivers have not yet been loaded, as soon as its done booting it should fill the screen).
  11. Your done, go under about this mac and make sure OSX recognizes it.
I haven't had a single kernel panic, crashes or anything. Works 100% with full acceleration, CUDA, OpenCL/GL, QE/CI, card throttling, and sleep. Hope I helped
-Aaron
You helped a ton! Thanks for everything! I will update you when I get the card and do the install. It may even be on my YouTube channel! I think I'll get the EVGA one from newegg or best buy.

You helped a ton! Thanks for everything! I will update you when I get the card and do the install. It may even be on my YouTube channel! I think I'll get the EVGA one from newegg or best buy.

No problem. Glad to be of help. Let us know how it goes! I personally think the EVGA one looks the best, plus its the smallest. Good luck with everything!

Thanks! What are your specs of your build?
I am basically running the recommended build with the Z77-DS3H and the i5-3570k. All I did was use a 500 watt PSU instead of the 430 Watt one. It's a pretty generic build. The only thing I'm having trouble with is enabling the HD4000. Since graphics enabler has to be set to no for the 650 ti, you cant use chimera for the device id injection. I have tried to use EFI strings, but I had no luck. If anybody can help me on this, I'd really appreciate it.

I am basically running the recommended build with the Z77-DS3H and the i5-3570k. All I did was use a 500 watt PSU instead of the 430 Watt one. It's a pretty generic build. The only thing I'm having trouble with is enabling the HD4000. Since graphics enabler has to be set to no for the 650 ti, you cant use chimera for the device id injection. I have tried to use EFI strings, but I had no luck. If anybody can help me on this, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm asking a stupid question... but why do you need both? You probably just explained it there but I'm still installing OS X all together, so I'm far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back