Contribute
Register

The GTX 650 Ti Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess you all know more than the professionals at Tomshardware and Anandtech. It takes very little GPU power to run a 1080p resolution with a 2d static picture. It takes a lot of GPU power to run high frame rates with full details on every pixel where the scene is also rendering 3D and changing is less than a second. That is why there are different GPU's that cost more than others. This card, the 650TI, cannot run a fully detailed, fully accelerated 1080P 3D game at full details. Some of the fine details that make up the scenes in a frame have to be turned off because the card does not have the processing power, other wise the frame rate is slowed down. Resolution output is entirely different from what a card can do with that resolution. Just like some cameras shoot 1080p at 24 frames, others also shoot at 30 frames and even 60 frames and those capturing the same detail at 30 and 60 frames are pushing more MB/sec output to do it and require faster memory to keep up with the recording task. well, this care is just not up to the full task of playing back all of the detail that is built into the game at the fast, highest levels.

I really cannot make it any simpler than this. If this is the card you want, fine, buy it, but don't delude your self into thinking your $160 card (say Mustang GT) will beat a GTX 670 (Ferrari).

Guess you all know more than the professionals at Tomshardware and Anandtech. It takes very little GPU power to run a 1080p resolution with a 2d static picture. It takes a lot of GPU power to run high frame rates with full details on every pixel where the scene is also rendering 3D and changing is less than a second. That is why there are different GPU's that cost more than others. This card, the 650TI, cannot run a fully detailed, fully accelerated 1080P 3D game at full details. Some of the fine details that make up the scenes in a frame have to be turned off because the card does not have the processing power, other wise the frame rate is slowed down. Resolution output is entirely different from what a card can do with that resolution. Just like some cameras shoot 1080p at 24 frames, others also shoot at 30 frames and even 60 frames and those capturing the same detail at 30 and 60 frames are pushing more MB/sec output to do it and require faster memory to keep up with the recording task. well, this care is just not up to the full task of playing back all of the detail that is built into the game at the fast, highest levels.

I really cannot make it any simpler than this. If this is the card you want, fine, buy it, but don't delude your self into thinking your $160 card (say Mustang GT) will beat a GTX 670 (Ferrari).

You are essentially saying the same thing as I am. However, you have finally arrived at the correct answer as opposed to your original where you stated that this card does not support 1080p very well. This comment was misleading because it was taken out of context. It does in fact support 1080p, what doesn't these days, but you were referring to high level gaming. No one has said that it supports high level gaming. It supports moderate gaming because it is an "entry" level gaming card. All in all this is a very well rounded card but if you want your ferrari buy one.

I've bought one and it seems to give me KPs when I try to boot it OOTB with GraphicsEnabler=no.

I have a Maximus V Gene mobo that I can run OSX on with a few graphical glitches, but it works for the most part. As soon as I plug in the 650 Ti, I get KPs.

So far, these are the boot flags I've tried in all possible combinations:
GraphicsEnabler=[yes/no]
PCIRootUID=[0/1]
PciRoot=[0/1]

With verbose booting I can see that the last logging is AppleIntelE1000e: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_20121021_192106.jpg
    IMG_20121021_192106.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 618
I've bought one and it seems to give me KPs when I try to boot it OOTB with GraphicsEnabler=no.

I have a Maximus V Gene mobo that I can run OSX on with a few graphical glitches, but it works for the most part. As soon as I plug in the 650 Ti, I get KPs.

So far, these are the boot flags I've tried in all possible combinations:
GraphicsEnabler=[yes/no]
PCIRootUID=[0/1]
PciRoot=[0/1]

With verbose booting I can see that the last logging is AppleIntelE1000e: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

See attached screenshot.

Did you try installing the nvidia drivers before installing the card ? I think the gk106 cards need them. Give them a try and let us know how it goes. Btw, the drivers require a Mac pro system definition.

Link to driver download page :
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver-uk.html

Well first I was getting KPs after changing my system definition to MacPro (it was originally on iMac), but I booted through that with safe mode.

After that, I'm getting KPs regarding com.apple.driver.AppleTyMCEDriver. See the screenshot below.

I was hoping it would work OOTB, maybe I screwed up somewhere else?

EDIT: I can boot with my graphics card using safe mode.

Attachments

• IMG_20121026_205305.jpg
    IMG_20121026_205305.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 480
So after reading a few posts about that kext, I removed it from /S/L/E and boom, it boots with full acceleration!

GTX 650 Ti is confirmed working! (with a minor hack). :D

The GTX 650 Ti Thread - A step-by-step solution?

Have we arrived at a working solution?
If so, all of us new 650ti owners would love to see a step-by-step guide for getting the 650ti working in 10.8

Many thanks-

I just picked up this card today, popped it in, installed the CUDA drivers, then updated same online via the System Pref, and now it's working, but...

...it's not filling up the entire screen of my 24" LG 1080p display. It's got about 1.5" of black on the sides, and 0.75" on top and bottom. Otherwise it looks real good, lol.

It does say "1920 x 1080" in Mac Display prefs, and I believe I have that resolution in the boot.plist file.

Would love a guide as well.

The GTX 650 Ti - WORKING!!!

After messing about trying to update my 10.6.8 to 10.8.2, all while upgrading cards, I started over-

1. GA-P55M-UD2 mobo, with NVidia GTS 250 card- Installed Mountain Lion with provided DSDT, no biggie.

2. Installed NVidia CUDA drivers, as mentioned previously.

3. Shut down, swapped cards to 650 ti (EVGA 'superclocked'), rebooted with -v GraphicsEnabler=No.

4. QE/CI looks to be working-

Success?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back