Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...I have a great deal of faith in thelostswede, and had numerous problems with the first Firewire card (Syba) I installed in my Hackintosh build. So...I bit the bullet and paid the slightly higher price for this card. It arrived today; I installed it and have been in a world of hurt ever since.

First: my build. i7 3.4 2600 Sandy Bridge; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Radeon 6870 1 GB, 8 GB Ram, 550 Watt PSU, a bunch of hard drives, Sony Optiarc DVD burner, Apple wi-fi hack card and natively-recognized BT dongle. Running U1h bios and Mountain Lion -- and I wouldn't be surprised if all of my heartache is due to foolishly living on the bleeding edge... ;)

My build had been working perfectly save for one remaining issue - auto sleep would not work (my display would auto sleep, but the computer itself would not). I could sleep manually and wake without issue - a far cry from my Mountain Lion experience with my first graphics card, a 550Ti (shudder).

I replaced my ASUS DVD drive (one potential source of sleep issues) and added in the Startech PEX1394B3 today and rebooted. As I tested, I could see that Auto sleep still wasn't working properly...however, the Startech card was recognized as a Firewire 800 interface and all seemed well.

An hour later, I realized: manual sleep was now broken, too. When I tried to sleep (either from the OS or the power button) my machine would, at first, sleep and then immediately wake up again. After a couple of failed sleep cycles, the computer rebooted itself and went into some kind of a boot loop or CMOS reset. I mean, the motherboard was really having a hard time. I watched the screens as the machine finally went to the backup BIOS, then complained about errors and offered me the option of rolling back to "optimized defaults". I did so, reset the boot drive, ACHI, etc. Restarted into ML and continue to troubleshoot.

Tried:
Removed entire SystemConfiguration folder in Library/Preferences and allowed it to rebuild.
Tried a variety of sleep profiles via Terminal = 0,1,3, all with similar results.
Went line by line through running processes, and used pmset in Termial to check to see if software was keeping the machine from sleeping (nothing).
Tried darkwake=1 and =0 in boot.plist.

Tried to shut down the computer to begin removing hardware but Shut Down was now broken, as well, causing the system to shut down and then immediately reboot (consistently, and not tied to BIOS or Energy Saver settings that I can see). Another CMOS event / boot loop ensued, but the system eventually was able to POST and I didn't have to redo any bios settings.

Forced the machine to shut down using the power button and removed the card.

Rebooted --> all sleep functionality / stability was restored to its earlier condition.

Shut down (worked fine without the card!); moved card to different PCIExpress slot (swapped with Airport card to make sure slot was working). Result: sleep and shutdown problems returned. Airport card worked fine in its new home on the MB, so I think the PCIExpress slot is OK...

Removed card again (after a force shutdown from Chimera boot screen) ---> result, sleep / wake is restored.

Presently, there is no DSDT for this board (presumably, it's not needed) so it would appear that native Power Management isn't able to handle this card OOB *on my setup*.

So, buyer beware. And in the meantime, I would be extremely grateful for any help a resident smart person could suggest. :D

[ SOLVED!!! ]

Hello Sleepless firewire users,

I to had followed this thread and bought the StarTech Firewire pcie card and experienced the same Sleep and Wake issues as everyone else. However I am glad to report that after trying every darkwake setting in clover. Checking the bios WOL setting, inspecting the logs with the terminal command: pmset -g log | grep -Ei 'wake.*due' --nothing was working.

To get sleep (and wake) working with StarTech PEX1394B3 800/400 Firewire PCIe on High Sierra.

1) Open your /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist in CloverConfigurator.App
2) Clover boot > set darkwake to the default "darkwake" setting ( no number )
3) Acpi > Fixes 1 > Enable FixFirewire
4) Acpi > Fixes 2 > Disable FixWAK
5) Reboot - Enjoy your sleep!

This worked like a champ for my i7 8700k / Asus z370a Prime / High Sierra build. Hope this helps anyone else who's looking to get their Firewire card working with sleep.

I've bought this one : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01M9FWXGN/?tag=tonymacx8607-21
When I plug my old DV cam on it I can see it in Imovie / Final but when I try to import mini-dv film it's not smooth. I've got black screen, even thought it's good on the camcorder :(
It's because this card has a VIA chipset whereas Mac OS's FireWire driver is designed for the Texas Instruments (TI) chipset only. That's because when Macs had a FW port Apple's only supplier was TI so they didn't create drivers for other vendors' chipsets.
I am in France too and the card I bought was a KALEA-INFORMATIQUE © - Carte Controleur PCI vers FireWire 400 IEEE1394a - 3 ports - Chipset TEXAS INSTRUMENTS TI TSB43AB22A. It worked from day one. But it's currentlly unavailable at Amazon. Check the other cards they make with the TI chipset as it is advertized on this one.
Nick

I purchased the Syba SD-PEX30009 card and the StarTech PEX1394B3LP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002S53IG8/?tag=tonymacx86-21
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037ECAMM/?tag=tonymacx86-21

from Amazon UK. Both cards worked straight out of the box, High Sirrea and Mojave.
Sleep and wake up works and even wake on network worked.

The issue I have and is the same for both cards, if I restart or boot with the firewire drives switched on, I get a black screen after logging in to my user account.
But if I use Apple Remote Desktop I can see the Hacintosh desktop and then the connect screen shows its desktop.

Any body knows how to stop the black screen?

On a secondary note: The StarTech PEX1394B3LP needed power connecting to the card directly to work, so the Syba SD-PEX30009 is probably the better card.

Has anyone tried the Belkin F5U623 card? This is plain PCI, which is exactly what I am looking for as I have no available PCIe slots left. But I do not know what chip drives this Belkin card, so I do not know if it works under OS X.

I already own a Texas Instruments TSB82AA2 (sometimes also referred to as SN082AA2) based PCI card, and I can confirm that OS X does not detect it as an available Firewire controller. I also own a PCIe x1 card, based on a Texas Instruments XI02213 chip, and this is nicely detected by OS X (e.g. macOS Sierra).

If you have experience with the Belkin F5U623, please say so!
Alternatively, if you know of any plain PCI based IEEE 1394B controller card, let me know!

Zooming in on a picture of the Belkin F5U623 I found on-line allowed me to identify that it uses a TSB82AA2 chip. And apparently so does the Lacie 107755 firewire 800 card. Both the Belkin and the Lacie claim to work under OS X.
Does anybody have experience with these cards? Do they really work under OS X?

How about the SIIG Firewire 800 M-64 cards?

The UniBrain FireBoard 800 also appears to be based on a TI TSB82AA2B, and claims to work under OS X.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back