Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the same question for my Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3 motherboard.
The recommended Startech PEX1394B3 causes impossible shutdown and sleep for me. Does anyone know about the SYBA SD-PEX30009 being OOB without problems with High Sierra 10.13.2? Thanks
I'm not sure why this thread is still open. The only mobos that this Startech card worked on was pre-UEFI/BIOS boards. The Syba card has pretty much been bullet-proof for everything I've used it in up to El Capitan. I'm doing a fresh install of High Sierra right now, and I'll pop that card in & test as soon as that's done. Unless you have a pre-Z77 board, the Startech card is gonna give you problems (even though on some Macs were using this chipset on mobos at the time this card came out). And I'm almost 100% sure that the other model (I think it's not low-profile PEX30016) is more of the same & should work equally as well.

I'm not sure why this thread is still open. The only mobos that this Startech card worked on was pre-UEFI/BIOS boards. The Syba card has pretty much been bullet-proof for everything I've used it in up to El Capitan. I'm doing a fresh install of High Sierra right now, and I'll pop that card in & test as soon as that's done. Unless you have a pre-Z77 board, the Startech card is gonna give you problems (even though on some Macs were using this chipset on mobos at the time this card came out). And I'm almost 100% sure that the other model (I think it's not low-profile PEX30016) is more of the same & should work equally as well.

Thank you, I was wondering the same about this thread being open. I know that Firewire (400/800) is a pretty old standard, but a lot of us still want to use solid pro gear like external audio cards without spending hundreds in Thunderbolt dongles/adapters (assumed the mobo is TB ready). Anyway, after installing it, I can also confirm that the SYBA DS-PEX30009 is working OOB with High Sierra 10.13.3 (I've done the update yesterday and it went smooth). :)

Thank you, I was wondering the same about this thread being open. I know that Firewire (400/800) is a pretty old standard, but a lot of us still want to use solid pro gear like external audio cards without spending hundreds in Thunderbolt dongles/adapters (assumed the mobo is TB ready). Anyway, after installing it, I can also confirm that the SYBA DS-PEX30009 is working OOB with High Sierra 10.13.3 (I've done the update yesterday and it went smooth). :)
Good to hear! BTW, I was at my favorite DIY PC store yesterday (MicroCenter here in Dallas). They also have the PEX30016 - but it's not branded SYBA. In fact, I've seen this before where SYBA is now just OEM & others package it with their brand. Here's a couple pics of the retail sales package for the newer version of the SYBA card with TI chipset:

Attachments

• 20180127_100731.jpg
    20180127_100731.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 279
  • 20180127_100711.jpg
    20180127_100711.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 256
Good to hear! BTW, I was at my favorite DIY PC store yesterday (MicroCenter here in Dallas). They also have the PEX30016 - but it's not branded SYBA. In fact, I've seen this before where SYBA is now just OEM & others package it with their brand. Here's a couple pics of the retail sales package for the newer version of the SYBA card with TI chipset:

My Startech fw card gave me trouble(reboot when shutting down) when I upgraded from Z68x to Z170x. I've swapped it for a DeLock EAN 4043619891535 PCI Express card FireWire A / B and all is fine now. I can also connect fw equipment via TB3 -> TB2 -> Firewire adapters(so 2 adapters in a row)

My Startech fw card gave me trouble(reboot when shutting down) when I upgraded from Z68x to Z170x. I've swapped it for a DeLock EAN 4043619891535 PCI Express card FireWire A / B and all is fine now. I can also connect fw equipment via TB3 -> TB2 -> Firewire adapters(so 2 adapters in a row)
I think I may need to chat with my fellow mods to see what we can do about retiring this thread. The Startech FW card worked just fine BEFORE Z77 timeframe. Once that gen of mobos hit & we now have UEFI, the Startech no longer is reliable when it comes to shutdown (as you have experienced). It's only compatible with pre-z77 chipset boards.

I was just doing a search for your card, and it appears the only links I'm finding are to EU-based suppliers. Glad to know that there's a reliable card available "across the pond from us" :headbang:

Yeah. The Syba is hard to get in Europe. I took a gamble with the DeLock(well, I told my supplier I would send it back if it didn't work properly/would also reboot, and he agreed), and it worked.

A warning for the Startech card for modern mobo's is a good idea

Yeah, this thread needs to close. I've been going out of my mind trying to figure out the shutdown = reboot and sleep = impossible problem with my Gigabyte Z370M D3H. I've ordered the SYBA SY-PEX3009 and have my fingers crossed. Also, if it's as rock solid as this thread suggests, I think it'd be *really* really good to look at getting it put on the hardware recommendation list.

I know, I know... 'it's 2018!' & 'why would anyone want firewire today?', but the petty hill I'm willing to die on is that I adore my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface and I use it pretty much all day, every day. If it died I'd buy another in one hot heartbeat.

Yeah, this thread needs to close. I've been going out of my mind trying to figure out the shutdown = reboot and sleep = impossible problem with my Gigabyte Z370M D3H. I've ordered the SYBA SY-PEX3009 and have my fingers crossed. Also, if it's as rock solid as this thread suggests, I think it'd be *really* really good to look at getting it put on the hardware recommendation list.

I know, I know... 'it's 2018!' & 'why would anyone want firewire today?', but the petty hill I'm willing to die on is that I adore my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface and I use it pretty much all day, every day. If it died I'd buy another in one hot heartbeat.
I used to have a Safire Pro 40 - sweet box for the price point. I had that one for a while, then update to the Liquid Saffire 96. Definitely keep us updated on your experience with the PEX30009.

I used to have a Safire Pro 40 - sweet box for the price point. I had that one for a while, then update to the Liquid Saffire 96. Definitely keep us updated on your experience with the PEX30009.
Nice! Will post here on how it goes as soon as I know. Looking forward to the possibility of having functional power management AND firewire :3

So I've installed the new firewire card (SYBA PEX30009) and I can very happily confirm that it works OOB as is supported natively with my 300 series mobo (Gigabyte GA Z370M D3H). My previous power management woes (inability to sleep, and shutdown causing reboot) that I had with the Startech card are completely gone :)

Audio output is perfect. I've installed it in the PCIe 1x and have not noticed any lag or glitching with my external audio interface, the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

I think the initial Startech recommendation on this particular thread is definitely NOT the one to own because it isn't compatible with modern motherboards. However, on an older system it'd probably work.

I live in the UK and the SYBA PEX30009 is easily available cheaply. The Startech? I spend more and had to source one second hand. Please, if you read this forum don't waste your time on the Startech card unless you are really want to run a fairly old (ie. pre-UEFI) motherboard.

So happy to finally have an OSX system that supports such lovely PCIe cards, NVMe, simple multi-booting, water cooling and a shmexy case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back