Contribute
Register

The Evolution of Intel's Core i Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Haswell box assembled and sitting at the side of me now (based on a Gigabyte H87-HD3 MB and a Core i5 4570). Just waiting for an old-fashioned USB keyboard and mouse to arrive in the post before I can stay meddling with the BIOS and installing Ubuntu. If Mavericks is not compatible, then Ubuntu will be staying. It's my first ever self-build and I have at last been liberated by being able to source every component separately to best suit my needs. Still, I am a little worried about switching it on for the first time - probably tomorrow.

It'd also be fun to see how long after a new architecture was announced did it become nearly impossible to walk into Microcenter and find a compatible motherboard. I was at the Cambridge MA store a few weeks ago and an associate and I had to hunt for a Z77 board! Zillions of Z87 boards available.

Has anyone tried a Haswell build by using the 10.8.4+ build included with the new MacBook Air's? At least back in the 10.5 era it normally had everything you needed to boot most things, letting us make ASR, NetBoot and NetInstall images.

That would be the way to test it out now before 10.8.5 comes out, cloning it to an external drive and then booting the other machine. If there isn't any pressing issues on 10.8.4 Apple could very well wait on 10.8.5 until new hardware like the new iMacs come out (or MacBook Pros).

Article: The Evolution of Intel's Core i Processors

Your missing Bloomfield. Bloomfield, Clarkdale & Lynnfield are all in the first Core i microarchitecture, codename Nehalem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are both in the second Core i microarchitecture with the Sandy Bridge codename
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

The Haswell line of parts, is the first in the third Core i microarchitecture that is also named Haswell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are actually not in the same generation even tho they are using the same socket. Sandy Bridge is 32nm while Ivy Bridge is the follow on with 22nm and new monolithic was new on Ivy Bridge. Intel in general calls Haswell Forth Generation Core i. Sandy uses 6 series PCH and Ivy uses 7 series PCH. while 7 series is backward compatible with Sandy CPU, 6 series PCH will not work with Ivy Bridge CPU unless manufacture follows Intel cross platform guideline and add V core support for Ivy Bridge.

I my understanding the "baby" is the 4770 and the "old" is 860...wrong?

Wrong, the baby is the 860 while the old is 4770. (So the baby picture shows the old stuff which is the 860, while the picture of the guy with a handbag is the showing the new which is 4770)

Wrong the baby is the 860 and the old is 4770. (So the baby picture shows the old processors while the picture of the guy with the suit shows the new processors which is the 4770):banghead:

Can we setup 10.9 mavericks on intel ivy bridge? I am going to buy a PC to set up Mac OS :(

Thanks! This means there is an average of 127.6 days from release that apple will release a compatible OSX

By my calculation then, we will see Haswell support on:

Wednesday, 27th November​
WOW ! I like that calculation !

haha, but it seems that sandy bridge still the best for gamers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back