Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Thank you for the great guide. It took me less than 2 hours to have Mojave (10.14.6) running with the instructions and the pre-made EFI folder.

I'm still lacking wifi and Bluetooth (waiting for the H/W to arrive), but other than that I have not yet identified major issues.

A minor issue is that, when using HDMI, the monitor does not wake up from sleep (and occasionally even when starting macOS). Most of the time this can be fixed by re-plugging the cable. When I switched to DisplayPort, I've yet to experience the issue.

Another one is that I can monitor everything except the case fan with HWMonitorSMC2. (Neither MacsFanControl can show any fans.) Any easy way to add the case fan monitoring without messing the fan controls?

Hello and thank you so much for your post explaining everything in detail. :headbang:

I'm a long time Mac user currently owning several MacBook Pros. I do astrophotography, and I need more power than any of my MacBooks can provide.
I have created a nice Numbers document listing all the components and their price in the different online shops.

What I would like to know: Are there any variations of the components that are also compatible and proven to work the same way?
Can the i7-8700K be swapped with a i7-9700K?
Can I use the G.SKill Trident Z RGB 32GB Kit?

Thank you and greetings from Germany,
Dominik

Of course. You can go to a 9900K and 32GB of memory. No problem.

Explain us what issues u had with the iGPU... i use an old 8400 and it works flawless exept one little thing which may not be an issue from the iGPU.

It's described here...with some updates in later posts.

After a successful week of tweaking my new Mac, I have somehow ruined my install. It may be that I had a dual boot on another M.2 drive, and the Windows update somehow broke my install with something onto the mobo? For instance, when I removed my Windows M.2 drive completely from the rig, my mobo opened to a Windows blue screen with instructions.

I've reset the BIOS both in BIOS (F5), and, by manually jumping the CMOS, I reinstalled my EFI on my install USB (as in the repair your EFI section).

I have a fresh, new .M.2 drive in the computer.

Yet, when I try to install macOS Mojave from my USB, I still get a frozen Apple logo.

Any ideas?

B

Last edited:
After a successful week of tweaking my new Mac, I have somehow ruined my install. It may be that I had a dual boot on another M.2 drive, and the Windows update somehow broke my install with something onto the mobo? For instance, when I removed my Windows M.2 drive completely from the rig, my mobo opened to a Windows blue screen with instructions.

I've reset the BIOS both in BIOS (F5), and, by manually jumping the CMOS, I reinstalled my EFI on my install USB (as in the repair your EFI section).

I have a fresh, new .M.2 drive in the computer.

Yet, when I try to install macOS Mojave from my USB, I still get a frozen Apple logo.

Any ideas?

B
What brand M.2 drive? If its a Samsung NVMe EVO Plus you will probably need to update the firmware first, instructions are on the Samsung website. If not double check your bios configuration and make sure secure boot isn't enabled, etc. If you still have no luck then when at the Clover Boot Screen hit the space bar, toggle down to check Verbose (-V) and reboot. Take a picture of where it hang and post it, someone may be able to help.

What brand M.2 drive? If its a Samsung NVMe EVO Plus you will probably need to update the firmware first, instructions are on the Samsung website. If not double check your bios configuration and make sure secure boot isn't enabled, etc. If you still have no luck then when at the Clover Boot Screen hit the space bar, toggle down to check Verbose (-V) and reboot. Take a picture of where it hang and post it, someone may be able to help.
Thank you. It turns out it was my RAM. I upgraded to 64GB of Vengeance low profile RAM, which turns out is compatible with my mobo, but not with the maOSc install. Once I switched back to Crucial it worked fine!

Thank you. It turns out it was my RAM. I upgraded to 64GB of Vengeance low profile RAM, which turns out is compatible with my mobo, but not with the maOSc install. Once I switched back to Crucial it worked fine!
Odd right? I've had that issue with another brand but solved it by turning off the XMP profile in the BIOS, and then eventually changed it out.

Thank you. It turns out it was my RAM, I upgraded to 64GB of Vengeance low profile RAM, which turns out is compatible with my mobo, but not with the macOS installed. Once I switched back to Crucial, it worked fine.

Odd right? I've had that issue with another brand but solved it by turning off the XMP profile in the BIOS, and then eventually changed it out.
Oh thank you ! Set it to auto?

Back