Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hello everyone.
First of all, great article.
1. But I have some strange issue. When Hakintosh is installed I can not enter to bios. Technically I see 'Press F1 or DEL to enter to bios' but when i do that, I see the black screen only. The system looks responsive after that (CTRL+ALT+DEL works, toggling NumLock is also works).
2. If I leave the menu I see the clover menu and able to log in to MacOs.
3. The same thing in case of installation USB plugged in.
To access to the bios again, I have to erase my SSD first (or erase clover EFI partition) and unplug the USB with clover EFI partition on it.
4. After CMOS resetting I see the screen with F1 suggestion to set up the settings. But it turns me back to black screen after I press the button.

I have tried display port, hdmi and different monitors already. The only way to return my bios menu is to boot from some USB and remove Hakintosh EFI partition.

SSD: Samsung EVO 970 plus
Motherboard: Asus Z390-I Gaming
GPU: Intel UHD 630
CPU: I5-9600K

Any idea? Thanks in advance!
Do you have to hold down the "Function" key on your keyboard to access the F1 key? Pretty typical now, if you don't use it in combination with the F keys nothing will happen. Sorry if the sounds dumb but I've read of other users being unaware that is needed.

I’ve managed to get Mojave going and used Asus BT400 for Bluetooth. Works fine.
However, Catalina beta 5 messed it up; I guess I need a different usb limit patches. It also doesn’t restart or shut down properly... anyone got idea?

The config is: Z390-I, 9900K, iGPU.
Probably should ask these questions in a Catalina forum

Do you have to hold down the "Function" key on your keyboard to access the F1 key? Pretty typical now, if you don't use it in combination with the F keys nothing will happen. Sorry if the sounds dumb but I've read of other users being unaware that is needed.
I'm not really sure what are you talking about. If I don't press anything it turns me to clover boot menu. If I press F8, it suggests me to load from my SSD (there are two same options, probably because of APFS file system?) in something like popup window. If I press Delete or F2 button, it turns the system to black screen. Even more the monitor doesn't say 'no signal' or something. Just shows me a black screen.

To enter the Asus BIOS, you are supposed to hit the Delete key. Either that or F2 to enter boot options. To be able to use the “F” keys you typically also have to hold down the the “Fn” key at the same time. If you don’t or no keyboard command is issued it continues to boot and you’d see black followed by the Clover menu. If there are no drives installed, it will automatically enter the BIOS.
It sounds like your keyboard is not being recognized at boot. Maybe try a wired USB keyboard.

Last edited:
To enter the Asus BIOS, you are supposed to hit the Delete key. Either that or F2 to enter boot options. To be able to use the “F” keys you typically also have to hold down the the “Fn” key at the same time. If you don’t or no keyboard command is issued it continues to boot and you’d see black followed by the Clover menu. If there are no drives installed, it will automatically enter the BIOS.
It sounds like your keyboard is not being recognized at boot. Maybe try a wired USB keyboard.
Finally I found the way to fix my issue. I need to use 'Advanced mode' in BIOS only. I switched from EzMode before installation and BIOS come back. By the way, I tried to enter to EzMode after macOS is installed and got the system freeze.
Probably this trick may be helpful for others and the author can mark the text with this configuration as bold.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Finally I found the way to fix my issue. I need to use 'Advanced mode' in BIOS only. I switched from EzMode before installation and BIOS come back. By the way, I tried to enter to EzMode after macOS is installed and got the system freeze.
Probably this trick may be helpful for others and the author can mark the text with this configuration as bold.
Thank you.
You edited your earlier post regarding WiFi not working. Trying to use the Intel wireless bluetooth card that came with the board is a nonstarter.

Last edited:
Thank you.
That is very unusual bios behavior, I think you have another hardware related issue causing your bios to act up. It’s not the software or Clover...can’t say for sure what it is but it’s not Mojave.

Awesome post, I've got nearly everything working but bluetooth! I have a Z390-I Gaming, i7-9700k, 580 Pulse, 3 monitors, the only difference is the Wifi/BT card, I have a 1820A OVW3T3 which I replaced on the board following your instruction, and it works perfectly for WIFI, I've got you EFI with almost no changes, everything works except the bluetooth, i've tried so many things, at not point it's recognized, I'll read the other 200 pages of that post to see if someone else has that issue, and I'll go over again the wifi/bt guide on this site but just in case someone had the same issue.

Last edited:
Awesome post, I've got nearly everything working but bluetooth! I have a Z390-I Gaming, i7-9700k, 580 Pulse, 3 monitors, the only difference is the Wifi/BT card, I have a 1820A OVW3T3 which I replaced on the board following your instruction, and it works perfectly for WIFI, I've got you EFI with almost no changes, everything works except the bluetooth, i've tried so many things, at not point it's recognized, I'll read the other 200 pages of that post to see if someone else has that issue, and I'll go over again the wifi/bt guide on this site but just in case someone had the same issue.
Try install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other.
Open config.plist and under boot section add brcmfx-country=#a under Boot Arguments. Also be sure bluetooth onboard device is enabled in bios.

Attachments

• AirportBrcmFixup.kext.zip
    14 KB · Views: 55
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 63
Try install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other.
Open config.plist and under boot section add brcmfx-country=#a under Boot Arguments. Also be sure bluetooth onboard device is enabled in bios.

Thanks @antiserum420, I've tried that before but I still tried with your files as I noticed the version I had for the Fixup was older, but still no luck.
I've also tried with the BrcmFirmwareRepo in /L/E instead of the FirmwareData in Clover/kexts/other.
I've also tried mapping my card in the device section of clover as mentioned in another thread after finding it in ioregistryexplorer.

In all cases WIFI is working, but bluetooth is not recognized at all, not even visible in system pref.

Back