Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Thanks for a truly awesome guide. I just finalized a a build that was inspired by this guide and the insights in the post were truly helpful, particularly the guide for replacing the WiFi/BT chip. I'm using a Core i9 9900K with an NZXT Kraken x52 and a blower style Vega 56 GPU, all of which fit nicely in a Streacom DA2 ITX case (photos attached).

While the Asus Z390-I Gaming mobo is great, one thing I don't like about it is the massive heatsink, despite its gorgeous look. I would have loved to install a BCM94360CS2 card with an NGFF adapter instead of the DW1560 for native support and faster speeds, but the former sticks out quite a bit and won't fit without removing the heatsink entirely (not an option, as far as I understand, as the VRMs would cook). Nonetheless, it's nice to have a powerful and fully-working hack in such a small form factor.

The Streacom DA2 is a beautiful enclosure that is relatively easy to build in, and the modular mounting rail system allows for plenty of flexibility. Temps are higher than I would like (45-48C at idle/light use), so I might eventually swap the 240mm AIO with a 280mm (which the case supports). I'm also planning to install a 92mm fan as exhaust to boost airflow.

Again, thanks to @ModMike for making this process a breeze!

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119
That is normal, they are pre-paired. Other than you speaker, have you tried to wait a bluetooth device by putting it in pairing mode and searching using bluetooth preferences? I appreciate your help, I am trying to understand what is happening to help others.
I built the Everything works hackintosh, and, indeed, everything worked! I thank you and @Stork for your tireless work on this amazing build. Anyways... I accidentally reset the BIOS with an errant twist tie that was laying on my motherboard. And my machine wouldn't boot. I went through and re-updated all of my BIOS, and I am able to boot my OSX Mojave. However, Bluetooth is not working. It is greyed out, and says "not available." Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Edit: Bluetooth is NOW working. I am not sure what I did but it may have been the bios.

Last edited:
Guys
If I wanted to upgrade my hack with a dedicated GPU, say an RX560, currently using the iGPU, what would I need to do?

Can I just plug it in and turn on the back which will autodetect the card?

Anyone facing issues with auto unlock with Apple Watch using the DW1560? In my case, it's fully enabled and during wake it says "unlocking with Apple Watch," but it gets stuck there and reverts to password login eventually. I've tried rebooting the watch and iPhone, but that didn't help.

Handoff, continuity and AirDrop are working fine.

Guys
If I wanted to upgrade my hack with a dedicated GPU, say an RX560, currently using the iGPU, what would I need to do?

Change your SMBIOS in config.plist to the closest one to your hardware or use the DGPU.zip folder created by ModMike

Guys

The short answer is yes. The RX 560, 570, 580 and the Vega 56 & 64 are pretty much plug and play. Avoid XFX cards and stick to those used in golden builds and successful guides. You will most likely need Whatevergreen.kext to address some minor inconvenience that vary from one card to another. But support is only getting better with each update of macOS.

Hello, thanks for the guide and inspiration. I've made this build too - sourced from Amazon US/France/Germany and other online shops in France (waiting for the right price ...). Here's my report.
  • Enthoo Evolv Shift - 107,98 Euros
  • Corsair SF750 Platinum, 750 Watt - 101 Euros
  • ASUS ROG Ryuo 120 RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm Radiator - 149,90 Euros
  • Intel Core i5-9600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz Turbo Unlocked - 226,8 Euros
  • G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 16GTZR Kit 3200 CL16 (2x8GB) - 116 Euros
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I - 199,98 Euros
  • WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe - 85,99 Euros
  • WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe - 67,99 Euros
  • 2 x Corsair WWML140 - 27,64 Euros
Future (waiting for the right price ... ;)):
  • Radeon RX 64 Liquid + slim fan (as seen in
    )

Not my first Hackintosh (D630, EliteBook 8070p...) but first PC build...
This is a dual boot config with dedicated SSD for each system. Windows for kids, OSX for daddy. The case is really awesome but is designed for dual water cooling only (poor airflow). OSX version is Mojave 10.4.5. Data has been transferred from a 2017 MacBook Pro under Mojave 10.4.5.

What works: All :p, including integrated Bluetooth... (Apple Magic Mouse (recent) and Wireless Keyboard (old)). I didn't replaced the WiFI/BT card. It seems however that installing the Asus BT drivers on Windows helps native Bluetooth to be recognised by OSX (thanks to a card firmware upgrade included in the Windows driver) ...

Only one big problem: FileVault 2 on APFS on the WD Black SSD. I spent a few days trying to make it work in a stable manner, I failed. I used clover to add the specific PreBoot drivers required (updated to latest version). I updated all the Kexts to latest version. It works, I can boot and use the system. But... no luck... I suffered from random freeze and reboot (from 10 mins to a few hours). The freeze are i/o related and no messages are logged anywhere when it happens.

I ended up only using FileVault in HFS sparsebundles on an unencrypted APFS on the SSD.

Also it seems that I had some crash exiting sleep - linked to "Prevent the system from sleeping automatically when the display is off" that was not selected. As soon as I selected it I had no more crash. I didn't dig into this much as I don't want that machine to sleep anyway.

about it is the massive heatsink, despite its gorgeous look. I would have loved to install a BCM94360CS2 card with an NGFF adapter instead of the DW1560 for native support and faster speeds, but the former sticks out quite a bit and won't fit without removing the heatsink entirely (not an option, as far as I understand, as the VRMs would cook). Nonetheless, it's nice to have a powerful and fully-working hack in such a small form factor.

Definitely an option, and exactly what I did. Similar 9900k build in an NCase M1, albeit with much lower idle temps (31-32). Works great, no issues. If you notice that massive I/O cover/heat sink barely makes contact with the VRMs, and IMO is mostly for “gamer” aesthetics. Mount some actual heat sinks onto the VRMs and enjoy.

Back