Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

How many contacts on the card? Two or three? Either way you are probably right but I can't say.

Two on the Board (and the Intel Card), two on DW1560, three on 1830 (<-- want to have, reported to work OOB)
But how things are, I might just give it a try in due time and report back.

Last edited:
I think swapping the Bluetooth/Wifi card to use the NGFF to PCI-E Apple Airport style (6+12 pin variety) is the way to go with these boards if you are having any problems with the Dell 1560/Lenovo M.2 variety. Native (OOB) compatibility, which means 3-4 less kexts to be concerned about.

At the cost of not being able to use the fancy I/O cover/heatsink, because it's too tall.

I was going to modify the aluminum I/O cover allow this setup to work with this taller setup, but as I've been running this for a few days on the test bench, and after seeing the tiny amount of actual contact that the aluminum cover makes with the VRMs to the rear of the CPU socket, I have decided to just remove it for good and attach several smaller heatsinks on the VRMs with thermal adhesive. This frees up some space around the CPU socket, and is probably safe to assume that it exists more for "GAMER" looks than for actual thermal properties. As my chosen case has no window, after I build it I have no plans on regularly staring at the innards.

As for ensuring that the card stays securely in the slot since the metal box it previously resided in no longer fits - I'm working on a 3D printed bracket for the NGFF adapter + Airport card to keep it in place. But I may just hack up the box and use it as a bracket for the antennas and use double sided tape to ensure the card doesn't work its way loose from the slot.

Update: Swapped out my older 3 antenna version of the Airport card for a 2 antenna BCM94360CS2 that just arrived (whopping $7 on Ebay), and continues to work well with the NGFF adapter (~$15 from Amazon). Wifi/Handoff/Continuity and no extra kexts.

Last edited:
I am using iMac 18,3 in my SMBIOS if I change by iMac 19.2 because has same processor https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...inch-aluminum-retina-4k-early-2019-specs.html

Note: I do not have DGPU

1. do I have to re-install Mojave or just changing the SMBIOS on my config.plist?
2. I guess I have to generate a new SUID
3. Do I have to follow any guide or just like that

Thanks guys.

Definitely don't have to reinstall Mojave. Easiest thing to do is use Clover Configurator and choose new serial #, SmUUID as described in the first post where the procedure is covered.

And to make it even safer you can just copy your current config.plist to something like config183.plist as your known good config file prior to making any changes. Then you can select this config in Clover when you boot should you find yourself having issues with the new SMBIOS in config.plist.

Definitely don't have to reinstall Mojave. Easiest thing to do is use Clover Configurator and choose new serial #, SmUUID as described in the first post where the procedure is covered.

And to make it even safer you can just copy your current config.plist to something like config183.plist as your known good config file prior to making any changes. Then you can select this config in Clover when you boot should you find yourself having issues with the new SMBIOS in config.plist.

Perfect thanks for the reply. I will try it and let you know how was everything.

@ModMike
Great guide, I followed it to the letter and everything appeared to work. I could put it to sleep and wake it up fine, but it wouldn't wake from sleep after sleeping automatically. I've been playing around with some settings in the bios and think I have solved the wake from sleep issue.
Here's what I did:
Advanced/Platform Miscellaneous Configuration/PCIE Native Power Management = Enabled
Advanced/Platform Miscellaneous Configuration/PEG-ASPM=Auto

All works great now :headbang:

*UPDATE*
No it doesn't :cry:

Last edited:
Hi ModMike. I've just moved my kexts to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and it booted fine for OS 10.14.5. I'm still on 0x67 because 0x3 yielded a prohib symbol on the 3rd "just to make sure" boot. I recovered with an EFI stick and went back to 0x67 that way.

Last edited:
Gents, has anyone successfully upgraded to 10.14.5 ?

Back