Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

@Monkey Just uploaded new EFI with IGPU VRAM patched to 2048. Should help fix scrolling, screen tearing. etc.

Download, install, reboot, and use Hackintool to check VRAM:

If it's 2048, then test and let me know.

@ModMike
What are your OC settings to get this benchmark? Has it been stable the whole time? Any crashing issues? I overclocked my 8700K to 5.0 but only made it through 1 successful GeekBench test. After that, it would take down my machine each time.

To be completely honest, I just enabled Asus AI overclocking, never touched a setting. Never had a stability issue with AI running the show. Don't forget, every chip is different, which is why they call it the silicone lottery!

@Stork I realized a few minutes after I posted that it was all good. Do you have any solution to his issue? Is it just that the graphics card doesn't have enough Vram at 4gb?
While I'm not absolutely sure, 4GB is on the low end for 4K monitors. Apple's recommended graphics cards for Mojave are all 8GB+ (IIRC) and that should tell us something. After all, Apple's monitors are 4K and 5K with rumors of a 8K in the near future. I've always bought cards that had the most amount of memory if there was a choice.

@Monkey Just uploaded new EFI with IGPU VRAM patched to 2048. Should help fix scrolling, screen tearing. etc.

Download, install, reboot, and use Hackintool to check VRAM:

View attachment 391493

If it's 2048, then test and let me know.

Yesterdays EFI has been working the best so far, the tearing and jerkiness was because of the watevergreen and lilu in the kexts/other folder, once removed, those issues went away. I had added everything apart from the fakesmc and it's files to the library/extensions folder as per one of the guides you linked me to.

My issues at the moment are:

1. Unusually high GPU usage for seemingly non taxing tasks.
  2. Occasional high spikes and sustained usage, 25%, 50%, 75% etc and holds there when nothing should be using the GPU.
  3. Sometimes when coming out of sleep, the GPU spikes cause audio breakup (this hasn't happened today though, so may be fixed).
  4. Constant high VRAM usage, most of the time around 75%-100%, but sometimes can drop to 50% but rarely lower than that. The dip you see is after sleep, it works it's way back up again. I did a bit of googling on this in particular and saw that people with legit iMacs were seeing the same thing, so I'm not sure if this one is fixable or if we need to wait for Apple to acknowlege it?391504
Aside from the iGPU not working, things are running as good if not better than they ever have. Thanks.

@Stork I'm not sure you were following my build post formatting extravaganza but I must have spent a good 20 hours on it after you helped me last. Can you take a look at it? I think I went crazy with product pics. Do you think I should remove them?

Yesterdays EFI has been working the best so far, the tearing and jerkiness was because of the watevergreen and lilu in the kexts/other folder, once removed, those issues went away. I had added everything apart from the fakesmc and it's files to the library/extensions folder as per one of the guides you linked me to.

My issues at the moment are:

1. Unusually high GPU usage for seemingly non taxing tasks.
  2. Occasional high spikes and sustained usage, 25%, 50%, 75% etc and holds there when nothing should be using the GPU.
  3. Sometimes when coming out of sleep, the GPU spikes cause audio breakup (this hasn't happened today though, so may be fixed).
  4. Constant high VRAM usage, most of the time around 75%-100%, but sometimes can drop to 50% but rarely lower than that. The dip you see is after sleep, it works it's way back up again. I did a bit of googling on this in particular and saw that people with legit iMacs were seeing the same thing, so I'm not sure if this one is fixable or if we need to wait for Apple to acknowlege it?View attachment 391504
Aside from the iGPU not working, things are running as good if not better than they ever have. Thanks.

Not sure I understand. Where did you put Lilu and WhatEverGreen, in /library/extensions/ ? IGPU should work in headless mode, I removed patches. Is it still not working after the last EFI update I did this morning?

Can you send me a screen shot of:

Don't forget to select

@Monkey303, @ModMike, That's how I adjust the scale on my 27" Dell U2715Q 4K monitor. Works like champ.

May I know what exactly are you referring from this? Curious how everyone is scaling their 4K 27" monitors. I am currently on 1440p@2x.

Neither 1080p@2x doesn't give me crisp text though. Icons/GUI are crisp but text isn't at all comparable to a true retina display. I always wonder if this is true for every external monitors or maybe my system isn't configured properly or my GPU doesn't have enough VRAM as I'm only using RX460 4GB. I have iGPU working as headless btw.

I think we have crossed wires, sorry about that. My last post was regarding yesterday's EFI, I was just reminding you of my issues as you mentioned the tearing and I wasn't sure that you had seen that I fixed that by removing all the kexts apart from fakesmc and its other files from the efi/kexts/other folder and just had them in the library/extensions folder. Doing that fixed the tearing and jerkiness. One of the guides you linked me to suggested to do that with everything apart from fakesmc and it had a positive effect on my system.

I have just installed your new EFI. I will let you know if there are any issues. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated :)

Regarding the hacktool screenshot, it shows this:

And the other one:

Looks like you are right, best place to install all Kext is /l/e, not other. Check this guide. Need to make substantial changes to EFI, doing now and will advise.

Seems to be a raging controversy with Lilu developers saying the Kexts should go into Clover others. I will go with Lilu developers recommendation.

Last edited:
Back