Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

OK thanks for all your help, I will check this guide out in the morning and failing that, I will see what pastrychef makes of it :)

Actually I think I figured it out. Read this guide.

Thanks, I’ve followed it to the letter, but now it will not boot, it gets to clover, then the white apple logo, that loads and then it reboots. it then carries on doing this until I stop it.

Edit:unable to boot even from my thumb drive now, hangs on the apple logo.

Last edited:
OK, so managed to boot in safe mode, so took the time to go through the e/l to see if there was anything odd, and there wasn't, so decided to look in system/library/extensions and there is lots of stuff in there that I think shouldn't be there, not sure how it got there, but my guess is that it is from the various different guides that I had followed to get MacOS to install originally. Anyway, in s/l/e I had duplicates of lilu, whatevergreen, fakesmc, injectall, so I deleted them and it booted first time. There is a lot of stuff still there that looks like it shouldn't be, here is some screenshots of the folder and one of e/l.

Edit: Had a look through the kexts and removed some ATI related stuff and ran kext utility again, but couldn't boot, so must have removed kexts that are needed. I've put them all back for now, minus the ones mentioned above.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.47.15.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.47.15.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.06.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.06.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.19.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.19.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.28.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.28.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.41.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.41.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.50.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.48.50.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.49.08.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 11.49.08.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Not sure if this is relevant, but I ran the hackintool again and it was still showing as 655 mobile, so I changed the platform ID to match the one in your screenshot and it now shows as a 630. Again, I'm not sure if I had just done it wrong last time, but I also notice that there are other platform IDs present in the dropdown box, these look like different SMBIOS that I'd tried previously, do you think something is left behind when trying these? Might that explain the odd behaviour? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 12.41.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 12.41.23.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 267
I was just digging into your issue and I was also going to suggest you change the ID but wasn't sure which one to suggest because the EFI I gave you should have the right one. To answer your question, that is what I think the problem is, just not sure why you are having it if using my EFI.

The cleanup should help you because anything in those 2 extension folders will load after the ones in the EFI partition, causing them to be overridden.

Also remove NoVPAJpeg, WhatEverGreen eliminates the need for it.

1) Did you delete your EFI and drop mine in or did you just copy over it? You need to delete yours and drop mine in

2) Downlaod and run Kext Utility. It will fix the permissions in both your extension library which may have become jacked with all the deletes. Always be sure to use KextBeast to install anything into library/extensions/

There seems to be a debate about whether to put lilu, etc. in library/extensions/ or EFI/clover/ kexts/other. Installing them in EFI/clover/ kexts/other causes them to load with clover but more importantly, that's where Clover Configurator installs them by default. It has a nice interface for checking your versions, downloading the latest ones, and installing them.

What is the status now, does everything work as it should?

I've got a similar built that I just put together, but with a i5-8400 and a RTX2080 (planning to use iGPU with macOS). Even without the GPU installed (I know that's going to be a whole other thing later on) The system reboots when I try to format the APFS volume while in disk utility, or randomly at other points in the recovery partition like choosing "install macOS". I've copied your EFI folder to the USB disk and matched the BIOS settings exactly. Admittedly I'm new to this, but hopefully it's some simple boot arg or BIOS setting that I'm missing. Thanks so much for writing this guide, any suggestions you might have are much appreciated!

EDIT: Also made sure I updated the BIOS, since it was still on a September build.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I ran the hackintool again and it was still showing as 655 mobile, so I changed the platform ID to match the one in your screenshot and it now shows as a 630. Again, I'm not sure if I had just done it wrong last time, but I also notice that there are other platform IDs present in the dropdown box, these look like different SMBIOS that I'd tried previously, do you think something is left behind when trying these? Might that explain the odd behaviour? Thanks!

Unless you apply the patch that won't work. The idea is to get it working properly, which it should without the need for patch.

I've got a similar built that I just put together, but with a i5-8400 and a RTX2080 (planning to use iGPU with macOS). Even without the GPU installed (I know that's going to be a whole other thing later on) The system reboots when I try to format the APFS volume while in disk utility, or randomly at other points in the recovery partition like choosing "install macOS". I've copied your EFI folder to the USB disk and matched the BIOS settings exactly. Admittedly I'm new to this, but hopefully it's some simple boot arg or BIOS setting that I'm missing. Thanks so much for writing this guide, any suggestions you might have are much appreciated!

EDIT: Also made sure I updated the BIOS, since it was still on a September build.

Not sure what you are asking. Is the system still rebooting after the changes you made? Did you clean out any unnecessary kexts in library/extensions and system/library/extensions?

Back