Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hello there
Is your problem solved? My configuration is 1660V3+R5E+RX580
Also at the end of the black screen.
I have a different set up now but the same thing happened to me. The fix was updating the Whatevergreen.kext to version 1.3.4. You can download it directly from this site or google it.

From the home page:

What we know about 10.15.0 so far...
  • macOS Build 19A583
  • 32-bit Apps will not run on macOS Catalina.
  • Updated Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD graphics drivers
    • NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers have NOT been updatedfor macOS Mojave/Catalina. Users of NVIDIA Maxwell or Pascal graphics cards should stay on macOS High Sierra.
    • Catalina Graphics Support: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx and higher, Intel HD 4000 and higher, NVIDIA 6xx and 7xx 'Kepler'
    • Intel HD 630 graphics users may need to add -disablegfxfirmware at Clover boot screen
  • Updated audio drivers.
    • Updated AppleALC, Lilu, and WhateverGreen may be required. Download here.
  • Updated USB drivers
    • New Raise Port Limit patch required for some systems. See here for details.

Last edited:
I have a different set up now but the same thing happened to me. The fix was updating the Whatevergreen.kext to version 1.3.4. You can download it directly from this site or google it.
Thank you for your reply
Unfortunately, I downloaded and tested Whatevergreen.kext 1.3.4
Still not solved, after all my detection and loading, it suddenly blacked out. The keyboard and mouse did not die...

Thank you for your reply
Unfortunately, I downloaded and tested Whatevergreen.kext 1.3.4
Still not solved, after all my detection and loading, it suddenly blacked out. The keyboard and mouse did not die...
Try downloading from this site. That’s what worked for me, it didn’t when I pulled from Acidanthera’s github. Can’t say why though.

From the home page:

• macOS Build 19A583
    • NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers have NOT been updatedfor macOS Mojave/Catalina. Users of NVIDIA Maxwell or Pascal graphics cards should stay on macOS High Sierra.
    • Catalina Graphics Support: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx and higher, Intel HD 4000 and higher, NVIDIA 6xx and 7xx 'Kepler'
    • Intel HD 630 graphics users may need to add -disablegfxfirmware at Clover boot screen
  • Updated audio drivers.
  • Updated USB drivers
    • New Raise Port Limit patch required for some systems. See herefor details.
Hey :) I'll try with what you advise. I see that you have a VEGA 64 video card, do you have the temperature GPU die that works, because mine is still 127 °. Have a good day ;-)

Hey :) I'll try with what you advise. I see that you have a VEGA 64 video card, do you have the temperature GPU die that works, because mine is still 127 °. Have a good day ;-)
Switched out my video card yesterday to an 5700 XT, never had any temperature issues though with the Vega. Triple fans on it and plenty of fans in the case. It sounds like you have other issues though.

@niner
here is my EFI Folder. I have the Radeon from PowerColor. There is also a custom FakeSMC inside to show the temps of the Radeon VII and a optimised powertable to make the radeon much less noisy.
Where is the optimized power table contained? I finally worked out all my kinks and wanted to test your FakeSMC temp monitoring. Is there any documentation as to how you did this? Also, I am not having any issues with fan noise using stock software. Is there a need for the power tables if I am not having problems?

EDIT:
I installed your FakeSMC and in HWMonitorSMC2 2.49 the Radeon VII shows up but I don't get any temps or fan speed, only shows 0 for everything but VRAM. Is that the right app?

Last edited:
How to get an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card to run on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming

You need to upgrade to macOS 10.15.1 (Final) and select the assembly CATAL-DGPU-EFI.zip. After that, you need to manually update the files:

Lilu.kext version 1.3.9 or later

WhateverGreen.kext version 1.3.4 or later

Clover can not be updated to a new version (it works like that).

To make it work you need to use a modified config. I added the Graphics section there, and added the boot argument agdpmod = pikera, and left everything else as @ModMike. Do not forget to add your SMBiOS to the config. I am using iMac 19.1 (9900K).

View attachment 434173

View attachment 434184

Full CLOVER folder for RX 5700 XT on macOS Catalina 10.15.1:
You are a legend man! This EFI works perfectly (y). I've tested multiple settings and with several restarts. I'm gonna post an update tomorrow. After 3 days of trying everything literally, this EFI works fine even with several monitors connected through DVI. Ethernet and sound also work out of the box! This is absolutely amazing!

sidenote:
- sometimes I have to use "-v" flag in case apple logo hangs at 5% loading!
- I have windows on another hardware I managed to boot windows from this clover flawlessly also

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 3.02.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 3.02.45 AM.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Greetings. This is my first post, so please excuse me if I don't have the conventions down. I would like to thank you for the excellent guide, which I followed to a T in helping my son build a Hackintosh several months ago. Our system is an Asus z390i motherboard, i9-9900k CPU, RX580 graphics card, in an open Thermaltake case with a custom CPU cooling loop. Under Mojave, it worked perfectly (after a few hours of tinkering because I'm not great at following directions!), except that for the first few months of use we didn't have Wifi or Bluetooth. A few days ago, we tried to remedy that situation by buying and installing the DELL DW1560 Broadcom card. Unfortunately I made the mistake of also upgrading to Catalina around the same time, which has made it hard to isolate the cause of problems. Here is the sequence of what happened: Operating under Mojave, everything worked fine but we had no Wifi or Bluetooth. We upgraded to the release version of Catalina 10.15, and installed the DW1560 but with the original Mojave EFI. Wifi worked but Bluetooth did not. Then we upgraded to Catalina 10.15.1 and replaced the original EFI with the Catalina EFI now included in your original post, having also updated a few of the kexts to the latest version. Everything now works fine except for Wifi. So with this update, we went from working Wifi and broken Bluetooth to broken Wifi and working bluetooth. Under System Preferences, if I select Network and click on Wifi, the status says "Off". I can click "Turn on Wifi" many times and nothing happens. Strangely, when I click on the Wifi indicator on the menu bar, it says "Wifi: On", but no networks are detected. We purchased the DW1560 card and upgraded to Catalina for the particular purpose of using Sidecar with an iPad Pro, in order to hand-draw with the Adobe suite of software, and working Wifi and Bluetooth seem to be needed for Sidecar. I am attaching the EFI that we're currently using, and would be very grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 85

From the home page:

• macOS Build 19A583
  • Updated audio drivers.
  • Updated USB drivers
    • New Raise Port Limit patch required for some systems. See here for details.
Hey :) Thanks for the advice, it worked the first time with the new download directly here on tonymacsx86 : Whatevergreen.kext/Lulu/AppleALC/FakeSMC. I thank you.

Back