Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Definitely an option, and exactly what I did. Similar 9900k build in an NCase M1, albeit with much lower idle temps (31-32). Works great, no issues. If you notice that massive I/O cover/heat sink barely makes contact with the VRMs, and IMO is mostly for “gamer” aesthetics. Mount some actual heat sinks onto the VRMs and enjoy.

Wonderful. May I ask what heatsinks you've used in your case? Any issues with fitting?

A pic while I was still doing some initial testing. Can just barely see the heat sinks (and total lack of the huge gamer IO cover). I also had to notch the rear Noctua fan just a smidge. I used my 3D printer to make a support for the WiFi card and adapter, but not 100% necessary as it’s not likely to go anywhere at this point.

If you’re not having issues with your Bluetooth on the Dell card, likely not worth the hassle unless you really want OOB/Kext-less WiFi/BT.

95B168FE-8A34-4C58-856E-840D988AC5B6.jpeg

A pic while I was still doing some initial testing. Can just barely see the heat sinks (and total lack of the huge gamer IO cover). I also had to notch the rear Noctua fan just a smidge. I used my 3D printer to make a support for the WiFi card and adapter, but not 100% necessary as it’s not likely to go anywhere at this point.

If you’re not having issues with your Bluetooth on the Dell card, likely not worth the hassle unless you really want OOB/Kext-less WiFi/BT.

View attachment 413058

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful.

I'm actually not having any issues at all, except for auto unlock with Apple Watch not working reliably (worked once so far). Other than that, AirDrop, Handoff, and Continuity are running great. I'm going to try making it work for now, but will definitely make the switch if I keep encountering issues (I have a slightly obsessive personality, which doesn't help with hackintoshing).

I'm wondering if not using any type of VRM heatsink has consequences. I'm just thinking about the resale value of the motherboard if I decide to sell it eventually.

It seems the Ncase M1 is more optimised for airflow than the Streacom DA2, either that or my cable management could use some work. Your temps are too drastically better for me to ignore it. What size AIO are you using? Any case fans?

I don’t worry about resale value on commodity hardware, which by the time I would upgrade in a few years would be nearly worthless, so can’t help you there.

240mm AIO, rear 92mm (x15mm), 2x120 in the bottom which are run as exhaust to cool the GPU which has the Arctic accelero GPU cooler on it. Works far better than the stock cooler did (RX 580 in my case, not sure is compatible with Vega).

As far as the Apple Watch unlocking, might be more of a macOS issue if all else is working. (Meaning unlock might have issues on a real Mac as well). I have a watch too, but never tried that feature.

I really like the Streacom case, can’t beat the looks for sure. The M1 just fit my needs better.

As far as the Apple Watch unlocking, might be more of a macOS issue if all else is working. (Meaning unlock might have issues on a real Mac as well). I have a watch too, but never tried that feature.
The Apple Watch must have a password to use for the Apple Watch to login into macOS. So, Apple forces you to have a password one way or the other.

I don’t worry about resale value on commodity hardware, which by the time I would upgrade in a few years would be nearly worthless, so can’t help you there.

240mm AIO, rear 92mm (x15mm), 2x120 in the bottom which are run as exhaust to cool the GPU which has the Arctic accelero GPU cooler on it. Works far better than the stock cooler did (rx580 in my case, not sure is compatible with Vega).

I really like the Streacom case, can’t beat the looks for sure. The M1 just fit my needs better.

That was partly why I ended going with the Streacom - I love the looks and the potential for 280mm water cooling. I'll definitely be fiddling with the internals to achieve better temps. It's no wonder though that you get much better temps - that's an impressive array of fans. I've a 92mm rear fan on the way, so fingers crossed it'll get better temps with that.

As for the Auto Unlock, it works fine on my MacBook and iMac at work, and in my ATX hack it was flawless. Something is going on in this particular build, though it may not ultimately be related to the DW1560. I'll be troubleshooting some more and deciding later if the BCM94360CS2 is worth the trouble.

A good amount of fans for a case of this size, all while remaining nearly silent for the most part. All the fan speeds ramp up as needed, including pump speed & radiator fans/rear fan/bottom fans. The GPU controls one of the two 120mm exhaust fans with bios controlling the other. GPU with the Accellero III literally decreases temps 20+ degree over stock cooler, which honestly surprised me as I find most claims as to this being exaggerated quite a bit.

This is not my build, but similar setup with the GPU cooler (I run my radiator fans as "pull", on inside of the case, and have the additional 92mm rear fan as exhaust. Both bottom 120mm fans as exhaust).

Hello, thanks for the guide and inspiration. I've made this build too - sourced from Amazon US/France/Germany and other online shops in France (waiting for the right price ...). Here's my report.
  • Enthoo Evolv Shift - 107,98 Euros
  • Corsair SF750 Platinum, 750 Watt - 101 Euros
  • ASUS ROG Ryuo 120 RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm Radiator - 149,90 Euros
  • Intel Core i5-9600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz Turbo Unlocked - 226,8 Euros
  • G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 16GTZR Kit 3200 CL16 (2x8GB) - 116 Euros
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I - 199,98 Euros
  • WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe - 85,99 Euros
  • WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe - 67,99 Euros
  • 2 x Corsair WWML140 - 27,64 Euros
Future (waiting for the right price ... ;)):
  • Radeon RX 64 Liquid + slim fan (as seen in
    )

Not my first Hackintosh (D630, EliteBook 8070p...) but first PC build...
This is a dual boot config with dedicated SSD for each system. Windows for kids, OSX for daddy. The case is really awesome but is designed for dual water cooling only (poor airflow). OSX version is Mojave 10.4.5. Data has been transferred from a 2017 MacBook Pro under Mojave 10.4.5.

What works: All :p, including integrated Bluetooth... (Apple Magic Mouse (recent) and Wireless Keyboard (old)). I didn't replaced the WiFI/BT card. It seems however that installing the Asus BT drivers on Windows helps native Bluetooth to be recognised by OSX (thanks to a card firmware upgrade included in the Windows driver) ...

Only one big problem: FileVault 2 on APFS on the WD Black SSD. I spent a few days trying to make it work in a stable manner, I failed. I used clover to add the specific PreBoot drivers required (updated to latest version). I updated all the Kexts to latest version. It works, I can boot and use the system. But... no luck... I suffered from random freeze and reboot (from 10 mins to a few hours). The freeze are i/o related and no messages are logged anywhere when it happens.

I ended up only using FileVault in HFS sparsebundles on an unencrypted APFS on the SSD.

Also it seems that I had some crash exiting sleep - linked to "Prevent the system from sleeping automatically when the display is off" that was not selected. As soon as I selected it I had no more crash. I didn't dig into this much as I don't want that machine to sleep anyway.

I actually experienced a crash (after 7 hours use) since I disabled Filevault 2 on the APFS drive. So this might not be the culprit. I also managed to reproduce a crash systematically using sysdiagnose (reboot at 3%). Again, no log are generated. Any chance that the WD Black SSD used for OSX would be the problem?

I actually experienced a crash (after 7 hours use) since I disabled Filevault 2 on the APFS drive. So this might not be the culprit. I also managed to reproduce a crash systematically using sysdiagnose (reboot at 3%). Again, no log are generated. Any chance that the WD Black SSD used for OSX would be the problem?

WD Black NVMe M.2 2280 PCI 250GB Internal SSD (For Mojave)

I am using WD Black SSD without problems

Back