Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I can't test it but this should work with any Coffee Lake iGPU, which are what Intel 8th and 9th generation processors are. It's @trankilou version with a different Device ID for the display controller.
This works for me perfectly!
I use this instead of Clover, then upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. Everything goes right now.
Thanks!

Okay, I‘ve moved to OpenCore and updated to Big Sur, but after a few restarts the boot option to boot windows was missing, and now I can only boot macos from USB stick. Both M.2 SSDs (Windows and macOS) cannot be recognized by the Asus board. Had someone this issue or has some tips for me?

With Clover I was able to boot Windows and macOS Catalina. Both M.2 SSDs could be selected in the boot menu. The EFI folder on my macOS SSD is the same as the EFI folder on my USB stick. It drives me crazy. It feels like the Asus board cannot boot M.2 SSDs anymore.
It is for this reason that I permanently setup my OC on a USB drive. I then set it not to auto mount. There is something weird where, if there is a Windows partition with the MS UEFI, it will always use it. You can set it in the boot options and reboot, and it will go straight back to Windows. Go back in to the BIOS, and it will have put the Windows drive back as the first boot option. I have found that booting from a USB drive works just fine as has numerous advantages. For on I’m able to mount the main partition of the drive and then make a back up of my EFI by copying it to the main partition before doing any upgrades or changes. Then, if there is a problem, I can just pull the USB plug it into another command copy it back. This saved me immeasurable amounts of headaches. And, if you use a USB 3 drive, it is super fast. As I said I have also set this up so that the main portion of this drive doesn’t auto mount. You can still mount in Disk Utility, but it doesn’t auto mount and those keeps me from accidentally clicking on it in finder and having it in my desktop. If you want, I can post a tutorial on how to do this by creating a fastab file in VIM. But each since doing this it has made life immensely easier.

HELP!!

Had my build working like a dream for ages now (100% due to this awesome guide and EFI is basically identical) and was running 2x16gb of HyperX predator ram (3000mhz). I have just upgraded that to 2x32gb of the the same stuff and now Hackintosh won't boot?!

Havent touched anything just old ram out - new ram in.

I have windows 10 on anther drive that boots as usual. All ram accounted for and running fine.

When I try and boot into my Catalina install it just shows the apple logo and gets no further.

Verbose shows this:
View attachment 498446

What is going on???!!! :banghead:

Build is:

ASUS ROG Strix Z390i
i7 8700K
XFX RX 5700 XT
64gb Kingston HyperX Predator (3000Mhz)

Was on the last version of OSX Catalina.

Any help would be most appiciated.
Well for starters I advise against using Clover. Second, I would suggest migrations your info into the OC 0.6.3 folder I have provided. But, honestly, before doing any of that, if you haven’t done so, I would say put the old RAM back in, and see if it makes a difference. Perhaps it is a ram issue.

It is for this reason that I permanently setup my OC on a USB drive. I then set it not to auto mount. There is something weird where, if there is a Windows partition with the MS UEFI, it will always use it. You can set it in the boot options and reboot, and it will go straight back to Windows. Go back in to the BIOS, and it will have put the Windows drive back as the first boot option. I have found that booting from a USB drive works just fine as has numerous advantages. For on I’m able to mount the main partition of the drive and then make a back up of my EFI by copying it to the main partition before doing any upgrades or changes. Then, if there is a problem, I can just pull the USB plug it into another command copy it back. This saved me immeasurable amounts of headaches. And, if you use a USB 3 drive, it is super fast. As I said I have also set this up so that the main portion of this drive doesn’t auto mount. You can still mount in Disk Utility, but it doesn’t auto mount and those keeps me from accidentally clicking on it in finder and having it in my desktop. If you want, I can post a tutorial on how to do this by creating a fastab file in VIM. But each since doing this it has made life immensely easier.
Its always a good idea to maintain a USB boot drive, I've had that issue enough times with different systems its become very easy to correct. I think that board has greater tendency to loose boot portions for whatever reasons either with Clover or OpenCore. Cheers

EDIT:Forgot to mention when using OpenCore you can choose which boot drive is default in System Preferences "Start Up Disk". Works great.

Last edited:
Its always a good idea to maintain a USB boot drive, I've had that issue enough times with different systems its become very easy to correct. I think that board has greater tendency to loose boot portions for whatever reasons either with Clover or Opencore. Cheers

EDIT:Forgot to mention choosing when using Opencore you can choose which boot drive is default in System Preferences "Start Up Disk". Works great.
Yeah, OC is superior in every way now that it has matured. It really is what everyone should be using. It by far is seeing more of a development effort than Clover these days. Also, it sees to much more competently replicate the features of Apple's EFI.

I‘ve experminted with the bios, efi folder and windows ssd. I don‘t understand whats going on there. In bios, i cannot set the boot options ( espacially the boot priority to boot from usb first cannot be set ), but i can use boot override by selecting the ssd with oc efi on it in bios itself. then, when i reset the nvram in oc boot gui, it boots from now on directly from this ssd. A bit confusing, but hey, it works.

But when i put windows into the efi folder, it boots every time into windows. That was a terrible idea. I‘ve tried to reinstall windows and checked if the ssd is in gpt modus. I couldn‘t get windows installed as a second system.

A last try would be to put the macos ssd out, install windows on the ssd left in the pc and put the macos ssd back in, so that both ssds have efi folders. Should this work?

I‘ve experminted with the bios, efi folder and windows ssd. I don‘t understand whats going on there. In bios, i cannot set the boot options ( espacially the boot priority to boot from usb first cannot be set ), but i can use boot override by selecting the ssd with oc efi on it in bios itself. then, when i reset the nvram in oc boot gui, it boots from now on directly from this ssd. A bit confusing, but hey, it works.

But when i put windows into the efi folder, it boots every time into windows. That was a terrible idea. I‘ve tried to reinstall windows and checked if the ssd is in gpt modus. I couldn‘t get windows installed as a second system.

A last try would be to put the macos ssd out, install windows on the ssd left in the pc and put the macos ssd back in, so that both ssds have efi folders. Should this work?
It should and is often recommended as a way to get both up and running without causing conflicts.

Thats all you have to do, check out a program called Gen SYMBIOS from CorpNewt that can help with that. See the link below for some information on converting from Clover.

Hello! Unfortunately, the EFI folder you shared doesn't work for me. The system restarts in the Apple logo each booting process. I found the dGPU configuration in that folder. So, I guess something should be changed for iGPU. Anyway, I successfully updated to BigSur using the latest Clover.
A new issue I got is that system animations no longer look so fluid (when switching between windows, minimizing/maximizing windows, etc.)
Also, my original issue with the awake flow is still reproducing. I have a new theory about why it can not works properly. My SMBIOS set to iMAC 18,1 which implies Kaby Lake(U) - Mobile iGPU. Regarding the following article: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/smbios-support.html#macos-smbios-list it can be a problem.
So, I'm going to change SMBIOS. How do you think can it be related to my both current issues? If so, I'm not totally sure which iMac version should I choose. It looks like iMac 19,1; 19,2; 20,1 are the best fit for my configuration (but not ideally). Can you advise what should I try for i5-9600K no dGPU system? I hope it will make my system more 'stable'. Will it be possible to alive Apple continuous integration after SMBIOS is updated?

The separate notice.
Suddenly, my stock motherboard Bluetooth adapter started working under BigSur. Now, I'm successfully using my wireless headphones in BigSur. Is this expected behavior? Maybe there is a chance to run stock WiFi?

Thank you.

Hello! Unfortunately, the EFI folder you shared doesn't work for me. The system restarts in the Apple logo each booting process. I found the dGPU configuration in that folder. So, I guess something should be changed for iGPU.
It worked for another user, when you say you found the dGPU configuration where are you talking about? You should be as specific as possible if you are asking for help.

Anyway, I successfully updated to BigSur using the latest Clover.
A new issue I got is that system animations no longer look so fluid (when switching between windows, minimizing/maximizing windows, etc.)
Clover is on its way out and getting really funky, in my opinion, its pretty clear the path forward is in OpenCore. If you have questions about Clover I would post in that thread here in this forum.
Also, my original issue with the awake flow is still reproducing. I have a new theory about why it can not works properly. My SMBIOS set to iMAC 18,1 which implies Kaby Lake(U) - Mobile iGPU. Regarding the following article: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/smbios-support.html#macos-smbios-list it can be a problem.
So, I'm going to change SMBIOS.
Not related, iMac 18,1 is still recommended because you are using iGPU. Other SYMBIOS versions you mention are for dGPU configurations and probably will not work, no display or incomplete boot.

How do you think can it be related to my both current issues? If so, I'm not totally sure which iMac version should I choose. It looks like iMac 19,1; 19,2; 20,1 are the best fit for my configuration (but not ideally). Can you advise what should I try for i5-9600K no dGPU system? I hope it will make my system more 'stable'. Will it be possible to alive Apple continuous integration after SMBIOS is updated?

The separate notice.
Suddenly, my stock motherboard Bluetooth adapter started working under BigSur. Now, I'm successfully using my wireless headphones in BigSur. Is this expected behavior? Maybe there is a chance to run stock WiFi?
Where did you get the version of Clover you are loading, was it preconfigured? I'm guessing it was and there is your answer. That User set it up for wireless using the newer Alpha version kext out there.
Thank you.

Hello, @Leesureone! Thank you for your reply.
Where did you get the version of Clover you are loading, was it preconfigured? I'm guessing it was and there is your answer. That User set it up for wireless using the newer Alpha version kext out there.

Nope, I just added Quirks and updated my EFI partition using the new Clover package. I didn't install new kexts or whatever. After BigSur is booted I noticed like Bluetooth is enabled in the status bar. After that, I successfully paired my wireless headphones. Micro works, sound works:
Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 20.33.07.png
WiFi also looks enabled, but it doesn't see any networks around. That is why I'm asking are there any patches to make it work at least in beta mode?
Not related, iMac 18,1 is still recommended because you are using iGPU. Other SYMBIOS versions you mention are for dGPU configurations and probably will not work, no display or incomplete boot.
Oh damn. My interface really looks not so smooth like it was in Catalina. You know, it looks like my iGPU has not much performance to load BigSur animations in a 4K display.

It worked for another user, when you say you found the dGPU configuration where are you talking about? You should be as specific as possible if you are asking for help.
I postponed the investigation since my Clover is successfully updated after filling the quirks section you posted. I think I saw some dGPU framebuffer patches in the config.plist from that folder. I didn't review the log or something. Basically, my PC constantly hard rebooting with that folder copied to USB after ~1/3 of the Apple Logo progress bar is finished.
Well, I still believe that I need a custom framebuffer configuration for my UHD 630 iGPU pairing to Asus Z390-I. By default (when no patches are applied) Hakintool shows a connected display via DP, but I'm using an HDMI connector:
Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 20.49.47.png
Thank you.

Back