Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hello everybody,
I am still experiencing random and annoying mouse lag. It was gone for a little bit and I tried using the mac as it is
but this is getting so bad.

I think it has to do with my graphics card and the fact that I am driving a 4k display (42") on a Sapphire rx580 Pulse graphics card.

Can anyone point me to a guide on how to patch framebuffer and all that jazz ?

Thanks in advance

Hello everybody,
I am still experiencing random and annoying mouse lag. It was gone for a little bit and I tried using the mac as it is
but this is getting so bad.

I think it has to do with my graphics card and the fact that I am driving a 4k display (42") on a Sapphire rx580 Pulse graphics card.

Can anyone point me to a guide on how to patch framebuffer and all that jazz ?

Thanks in advance
The RX 580 is supposed to be OOTB - no additional drivers. You might try eliminating Whatevergreen.kext, and see if it boots and makes a difference. There are some interesting comments here:

Frame Buffer guide is here, graphics configuration is near the end:

Hello @Leesureone and thanks again for your replies.

I just tried removing Whatevergreen and well, it refused to boot.

I am still wondering if it's an USB thing or related to the graphics card.

The reason why is that, when I boot onto the usb installer, the mouse is just so perfect when I plug into an USB port that's recognized by the installer.

When I come back into Catalina, I have tried switching between all my declared ports (remember I have done the USB mapping and have less than 15 ports so that I can remove the limit-removing kexts) and some are worse than others. The "best" one seems to be the "front" (which is actually on top for me) usb port but even this one degrades over time.

Is there a way to diagnosticate if it's an USB thing or a display buffer thing ?

Anybody else has encountered these mouse lag issues in this build ?

Thanks for the help

Hello @Leesureone and thanks again for your replies.

I just tried removing Whatevergreen and well, it refused to boot.

I am still wondering if it's an USB thing or related to the graphics card.

The reason why is that, when I boot onto the usb installer, the mouse is just so perfect when I plug into an USB port that's recognized by the installer.

When I come back into Catalina, I have tried switching between all my declared ports (remember I have done the USB mapping and have less than 15 ports so that I can remove the limit-removing kexts) and some are worse than others. The "best" one seems to be the "front" (which is actually on top for me) usb port but even this one degrades over time.

Is there a way to diagnosticate if it's an USB thing or a display buffer thing ?

Anybody else has encountered these mouse lag issues in this build ?

Thanks for the help
The only diagnostic suggestion I have is to remove the video cards and use the iGPU and see if the issue persists. If it does its probably USB.

Just a quick followup: before trying anything drastic...

I just plugged an old Bluetooth mouse that was laying around and all my issues are fixed.

It seems the problem is not affecting the Bluetooth stack

... or my current wireless usb mouse is defective

Will update after trying other mice

Has someone tried to update to big sur?
I use clover and think about to move to opencore. My config is a bit different ( i5 and asus z390-e ) and i think i have to modify the oc efi a bit, right?

sooooo anyone tried Big Sur? I usually wait few months in but I upgraded my laptop ant it's so cool. I really like the new OS and I want it on my Hack )
If you have a working version of OpenCore 6.2 or higher it should load.

Has someone tried to update to big sur?
I use clover and think about to move to opencore. My config is a bit different ( i5 and asus z390-e ) and i think i have to modify the oc efi a bit, right?
The time you would spend to learn about the changes in clover needed to allow it to boot Big Sur are better spent learning about OpenCore. As I mention in the post before it should load fine using OC 6.2 or 6.3. I’ve got it working on my Z490, my NUC8 and my Dell laptop.

Back