Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hello everybody,

Long time no posting here and for a very good reason: I had a great setup working through this build (thanks to the OP and everybody else who helped me along the way).

Anyways, I first had a Mojave setup and then upgraded to Catalina w/ Opencore using this build without any problems except for occcasional bluetooth disconnects. Pretty inconsequential to me because of how little I used bluetooth on this desktop.

It all changed recently when I upgraded to a new case (a NZXT H1), thinking that a new case would not break my build.

I was wrong.

Probably due to the extra front USB ports (1 type C and 1 USB3.0), my system under catalina is now very erratic with mouse lag, system slowdowns and crashes, usually when plugging/unplugging front AND back usb but sometimes straight out of startup.

I figured: "OK, I probably should do the port mapping stuff and limit my system to 15 ports (which is ok for me)"

I followed dortania's guide (for Opencore) and also the Unofficial TonyMacX86 port mapping thread: no cigar. The ports just won't map like I tell them to.

I even reinstalled Catalina on another hard drive --> still same problems.

-----

Long story short: I was wondering if anyone else here, using this build, had done the port mapping successfully either through the USBPorts.kext (or USBMap.kext) method or the SSDT-UIAC + USBInjectAll.kext...

It would be great to here from you since maybe this build just isn't compatible with the aforementioned USB mapping methods and you have to do it differently.

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.
It can get frustrating to map ports but this guide using hackintool makes it easy and it will work. The case can’t add any ports your motherboard didn’t already have so something wasn’t right. Anyway it’s easy to correct.

There is another users EFI folder here that mapped ports may work better than what you have going now.

Hello everybody,

Long time no posting here and for a very good reason: I had a great setup working through this build (thanks to the OP and everybody else who helped me along the way).

Anyways, I first had a Mojave setup and then upgraded to Catalina w/ Opencore using this build without any problems except for occcasional bluetooth disconnects. Pretty inconsequential to me because of how little I used bluetooth on this desktop.

It all changed recently when I upgraded to a new case (a NZXT H1), thinking that a new case would not break my build.

I was wrong.

Probably due to the extra front USB ports (1 type C and 1 USB3.0), my system under catalina is now very erratic with mouse lag, system slowdowns and crashes, usually when plugging/unplugging front AND back usb but sometimes straight out of startup.

I figured: "OK, I probably should do the port mapping stuff and limit my system to 15 ports (which is ok for me)"

I followed dortania's guide (for Opencore) and also the Unofficial TonyMacX86 port mapping thread: no cigar. The ports just won't map like I tell them to.

I even reinstalled Catalina on another hard drive --> still same problems.

-----

Long story short: I was wondering if anyone else here, using this build, had done the port mapping successfully either through the USBPorts.kext (or USBMap.kext) method or the SSDT-UIAC + USBInjectAll.kext...

It would be great to here from you since maybe this build just isn't compatible with the aforementioned USB mapping methods and you have to do it differently.

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.
Just drop that OC EFI file on your USB (I posted little above) that should do it. You might need to disable whatevergreen since you have rx580 (double check on that) but the rest should just work...

Last edited:
It can get frustrating to map ports but this guide using hackintool makes it easy and it will work. The case can’t add any ports your motherboard didn’t already have so something wasn’t right. Anyway it’s easy to correct.

There is another users EFI folder here that mapped ports may work better than what you have going now.

Thank you @Leesureone & @impoundcity for your quick replies and suggestions.

Will try this and report on the results

Fingers crossed

Well, I just tried using an adapted ports-version of the EFI from The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

The good news is that I am now right at the 15-port limit and using the ports I want to map.

The bad news is that I have the dreaded MouseLag, MouseFreeze symptoms... Arggggh
My mouse has trouble just moving over the screen and every time it goes over an icon in the dock, it freezes a little.
I tried different ports and different mice, but still the problem persists.

Anyone has any ideas/experience on how to get rid of this situation ?

Thanks again for your help

Hi guys,
I'm running clover 5082 from original installation, up-to-date kexts and Catalina. When trying to install Clover 5021 it was telling me it was incompatible with my system during installation, so I left it alone.

Currently experiencing some an issue of Bluetooth being stuck after shutdown, which switching to windows 10 and back to Catalina seems to fix it? Not sure where to go here.

Also, since the build I've been totally off this thread, now noticing a lot of people mentioning Opencore being better than clover. I'm not fussed about keeping up with the latest just want to make sure I have a bullet-proof system as it was before Catalina upgrade.

Anyone experienced the same problem with Bluetooth?
Shall I switch to Opencore? If so anyone has a guide to share?

ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING | i5 3.7 | AMD Radeon VII

Well, I just tried using an adapted ports-version of the EFI from The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

The good news is that I am now right at the 15-port limit and using the ports I want to map.

The bad news is that I have the dreaded MouseLag, MouseFreeze symptoms... Arggggh
My mouse has trouble just moving over the screen and every time it goes over an icon in the dock, it freezes a little.
I tried different ports and different mice, but still the problem persists.

Anyone has any ideas/experience on how to get rid of this situation ?

Thanks again for your help
Your USB may still not be configured correctly, tough to say but worth the time to try and see. Also try searching this site for mouse lag, mouse freeze. Lots of results, some solved and some apparently related to 5700XT cards which you aren't running. This version is the same EFI Folder without the adgpmod=pikera boot argument, may make a difference maybe not.

See this post for one example of a fix

#3,388

Hi guys,
I'm running clover 5082 from original installation, up-to-date kexts and Catalina. When trying to install Clover 5021 it was telling me it was incompatible with my system during installation, so I left it alone.

Currently experiencing some an issue of Bluetooth being stuck after shutdown, which switching to windows 10 and back to Catalina seems to fix it? Not sure where to go here.

Also, since the build I've been totally off this thread, now noticing a lot of people mentioning Opencore being better than clover. I'm not fussed about keeping up with the latest just want to make sure I have a bullet-proof system as it was before Catalina upgrade.

Anyone experienced the same problem with Bluetooth?
Shall I switch to Opencore? If so anyone has a guide to share?

ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING | i5 3.7 | AMD Radeon VII
Later versions of Clover require some research before installation, there are some specific things to configure as its becoming a hybrid boot loader (clover and opencore combined). The incompatible system warnings normal and can be ignored.
If you updated your Bluetooth kexts that could be the issue, it's been reported that some later versions are an issue.

If you have any intention of updating to Big Sur then you will want to become familiar with OpenCore. There is a guide on this site or you can begin reading here. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

EFI folders for this board are pretty easy to find.

Later versions of Clover require some research before installation, there are some specific things to configure as its becoming a hybrid boot loader (clover and opencore combined). The incompatible system warnings normal and can be ignored.
If you updated your Bluetooth kexts that could be the issue, it's been reported that some later versions are an issue.

If you have any intention of updating to Big Sur then you will want to become familiar with OpenCore. There is a guide on this site or you can begin reading here. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

EFI folders for this board are pretty easy to find.
Thank you.
I'll get familiar with the OpenCore installation.

Thank you.
I'll get familiar with the OpenCore installation.
Great. Really it’s as easy as substituting the EFI folder. Best to do it from a USB drive first and see the results before altering the EFI folder on your hard drive.

Back