Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I just realized this after making this last post, maybe iStat menu was reading the temperature incorrectly. So I installed Intel Power Gadget for Mac and indeed, the reported temperature in BIOS and 10 is the correct one.
1589188721547.png

Hello @ArthurianX I used HWMonitor and HWMonitorSMC2 to show the CPU temperature. I love the feature of HWMonitor to show selected temperatures in the Menu Bar.
They seem to be correct. After I read your post I also installed Intel Power Gadget. It shows the same temperature as them.

But I am sure the temperature problem I had was one main reason for the kernel panics I had.
As result I moved my Hackintosh to the front of my shelf so now it gets more fresh air. And I built a case Fan into my DAN A4 SFX Case do improve the Airflow. That helped much . Now the temperature stays around 50° and rises seldom above 70°.
First I thought that fixed my kernel panics completely. But I still sometimes have a kernel panic. Yesterday when I tried to install homebrew, or when I tried to install xCode.
I use my hackintosh for working in home office. If I just use it for work everything is stable.

Because the remaining kernel panics occur on installation, I suspect the NVME driver or the NVME itself. I got a SATA SSD on Friday and have built it into my Hackintosh. I wanted to see if I keep getting kernel panics sometimes, when booting from the SATA SSD. But first I was busy instaling it as dual boot disk.
It was a bit tricky but now I have a NVME with OpenCore and MACOS Catalina and a SATA SSD with dual boot Catalina and Windows 10. My OPenCore Settings in both EFI partitons are the same.
Right now i am busy working in home office. But today evening I will test and try installing some software when booting from my SATA SSD and see if I can produce another kernel panic.

What storage do you have?

Last edited:
@Karpuffeltoffer I have something similar to you, but I'm 100% convinced the osx temperatures are fake.

Huge temperature reading gap between OSX and BIOS / W10 readings, I'm taking W10 and BIOS's side on this one. My temp readings are WAY to high in OSX and I can't seem to find the reason why.

OSX:
CPU Temp OSX.png

W10 & BIOS
W10 CPU Temp.PNG
IMG-2196.jpg

I also have some random screen freezes which force me to restart and I can't seem to find the reason for this in the logs.

(OpenCore 0.5.7 boot-args - keepsyms=1 agdpmod=pikera shikigva=80 -radnogva dart=0 debug=0x100 -v)
What do your loops look like? Is your cursor moving?

What do your loops look like? Is your cursor moving?

YUP!!! Exactly like that, 99% of the time the screen just freezes:
- sometimes I can move the cursor
- sometimes it shows the loading animation and it keep going forever
- sometimes it's like the mouse break in a ton of pixels and you move the whole mush herd on screen
- sometimes everything just freezes.

But, NOT EVEN ONCE I get a kernel panic (even though I have all the debug flags dart=0 debug=0x100 -v) so I can actually debug the issue.

I've been looking through logs like crazy to find the issue and I don't seem to. It happens 5-10 times a day. Annoying as hell.

If I were a betting man I'd say it's related to the GPU's low power mode / power saving features, because it usually happens either when I'm not doing anything or when I'm doing some screen action really quick (switch back and forth between IDE and iTerm)

@iDrakus Do you have the same issue ?

YUP!!! Exactly like that, 99% of the time the screen just freezes:
- sometimes I can move the cursor
- sometimes it shows the loading animation and it keep going forever
- sometimes it's like the mouse break in a ton of pixels and you move the whole mush herd on screen
- sometimes everything just freezes.

But, NOT EVEN ONCE I get a kernel panic (even though I have all the debug flags dart=0 debug=0x100 -v) so I can actually debug the issue.

I've been looking through logs like crazy to find the issue and I don't seem to. It happens 5-10 times a day. Annoying as hell.

If I were a betting man I'd say it's related to the GPU's low power mode / power saving features, because it usually happens either when I'm not doing anything or when I'm doing some screen action really quick (switch back and forth between IDE and iTerm)

@iDrakus Do you have the same issue ?
Yes, I have such a problem on the 5700 XT on Clover and OpenCore.

I think I managed to solve it. Try this EFI. Does this solve your problem?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.7 MB · Views: 127
Yes, I have such a problem on the 5700 XT on Clover and OpenCore.

I think I managed to solve it. Try this EFI. Does this solve your problem?

Thanks @iDrakus , I've been on it for the past 3 hrs, no crash yet. Will test it today the whole day. What did you fix ?

Before this I switched from Clover to OC because iMessage and Netflix wouldn't work on Clover no matter how much I tried.

I got iMessage 'fixed' in the meantime (something's still fishy, before I could DO ANYTHING besides sending iMessages, not I can only send iMessages ... anyhow) so I'm not touching that anymore, but Netflix in Safari doesn't work on this EFI as well, but it's more important that my system doesn't crash than having Netflix atm. :)

EDIT: So I've been working pretty much the whole day on it without any issues, doing intensive and not so intensive tasks, the only things I saw is:
- Netflix not working (a symptom of a general DRM issue with this Clover EFI)
- Geekbench scores are 10-20% lower than on OC, but that doesn't bother me. :)

I'd really to apply the same fix to OC, what did you do to get it working @iDrakus ?

Last edited:
Thanks @iDrakus , I've been on it for the past 3 hrs, no crash yet. Will test it today the whole day. What did you fix ?

Before this I switched from Clover to OC because iMessage and Netflix wouldn't work on Clover no matter how much I tried.

I got iMessage 'fixed' in the meantime (something's still fishy, before I could DO ANYTHING besides sending iMessages, not I can only send iMessages ... anyhow) so I'm not touching that anymore, but Netflix in Safari doesn't work on this EFI as well, but it's more important that my system doesn't crash than having Netflix atm. :)

EDIT: So I've been working pretty much the whole day on it without any issues, doing intensive and not so intensive tasks, the only things I saw is:
- Netflix not working (a symptom of a general DRM issue with this Clover EFI)
- Geekbench scores are 10-20% lower than on OC, but that doesn't bother me. :)

I'd really to apply the same fix to OC, what did you do to get it working @iDrakus ?
I corrected a lot of time to find the problem. I had loops on OpenCore and on Clover.

I tried changing the BIOS settings, but this did not affect the problem.

In EFI, which I posted earlier, cheating only SMBIOS on iMac Pro 1.1. This is the solution to the problem, however, in this case, Sibecar will not work.

I think that if you change SMBIOS to OpenCore, this should also work correctly, but I have not tried.

Last edited:
So, changing from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 is the solution for this, really weird.
Maybe only the new iMac Pro's have these GPU's ?

Thanks @iDrakus, I'll try this change!

So, changing from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 is the solution for this, really weird.
Maybe only the new iMac Pro's have these GPU's ?

Thanks @iDrakus, I'll try this change!
I changed the entire SMBIOS partitions in Clover.

On iMac 19.1, I get loop freezes

on iMacPro1,1, I have no problems with looping and hangs. I have already done many tests, not a single problem.

Nice - I'll try to do this again, (I 'fixed' iMessage sooo many times I'm tired to try it one more time :) ) - but I'll do it, let's see :D

Back