Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

So I hit another road block I mounted the USB EFI and transfered it to the HDD but I'm still unable to boot using the DGPU. It gets to the Apple boot logo then it just restarts itself. I'm still able to boot using my igpu though. Any idea what I can try next? I'm using the efi from post 3167.

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_122744.jpg
    IMG_20200330_122744.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
So I hit another road block I mounted the USB EFI and transfered it to the HDD but I'm still unable to boot using the DGPU. It gets to the Apple boot logo then it just restarts itself. I'm still able to boot using my igpu though. Any idea what I can try next? I'm using the efi from post 3167.
Hmm. Maybe change the bios from Auto to PEG or whatever it’s called and try again?

Last edited:
And you sure you have secure boot turned off in the BIOS? Deleted the keys?
So I just deleted the keys secure boot shows disabled I have other os selected. The weird thing is that one the EFI from post 3167 I can't boot but using this old EFI I had from when I first started putting this together it works. I will post both and see if there is anything that makes one work and the other one not. For XMP does it matter what profile you use 1,2, or auto?

Attachments

• Not Working EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 42
  • Working EFI.zip
    20.6 MB · Views: 43
So I just deleted the keys secure boot shows disabled I have other os selected. The weird thing is that one the EFI from post 3167 I can't boot but using this old EFI I had from when I first started putting this together it works. I will post both and see if there is anything that makes one work and the other one not. For XMP does it matter what profile you use 1,2, or auto?
I know I used the EFI from the first post successfully, it sounds like now it was secure boot messing you up the whole time. You can leave the XMP setting as is if you like until you get set. If you decide to change it now go one step at a time, 1 is less aggressive, 2 is more aggressive timings. Depending on the type of memory you have it it may not boot at all or panic and reboot once you get into OSX. Might work just fine but you'll have to experiment.

I know I used the EFI from the first post successfully, it sounds like now it was secure boot messing you up the whole time. You can leave the XMP setting as is if you like until you get set. If you decide to change it now go one step at a time, 1 is less aggressive, 2 is more aggressive timings. Depending on the type of memory you have it it may not boot at all or panic and reboot once you get into OSX. Might work just fine but you'll have to experiment.
So once I did the disabled secure boot I wasn't able to boot at all with the new EFI but with the working one I was able to boot but after a min or two it would crash the the mouse pointer would have a mirror like effect and it would freeze for a bit then reboot itself. So I went back to using the EFI that works for me and enabled secure boot and it seems to work fine without crashing. Not sure exactly what's going on. Im using the working EFI at the moment with secure boot on and XMP II with no issues so far. I'm new to all of this so I'm not really sure what's the difference in the 2 EFI folders that makes one work but not the other. I will keep testing and see what happens.

I followed this guide a while back to get Catalina installed and it's been great ever since! That is, up until today.... For some reason, I lost iMessages and AirPlay. I followed the Continuity guide again but no luck, so I figured I'd try the repair guide, maybe something got jacked up with my kexts somehow?? I haven't done anything but, who knows..... On reboot, I got the apple logo and the status bar went about 50-60%, and the screen blanked. I gave it a minute or so, activity light was flashing and caps lock light on/off, tapped a couple keys and got some sound from the internal speakers on my monitor so I'm thinking the display is just not showing up for some reason... Luckily I've messed this up a few thousand times so I had a backup of my working EFI and a working Mojave drive. I'm back on Catalina, but no iMessages or AirPlay. Any suggestions to get those working?

So once I did the disabled secure boot I wasn't able to boot at all with the new EFI but with the working one I was able to boot but after a min or two it would crash the the mouse pointer would have a mirror like effect and it would freeze for a bit then reboot itself. So I went back to using the EFI that works for me and enabled secure boot and it seems to work fine without crashing. Not sure exactly what's going on. Im using the working EFI at the moment with secure boot on and XMP II with no issues so far. I'm new to all of this so I'm not really sure what's the difference in the 2 EFI folders that makes one work but not the other. I will keep testing and see what happens.
Thats great. I can check tomorrow if you really want to know, I think posts just a function of this change:

Last edited:
Thats great. I can check tomorrow if you really want to know, I think posts just a function of this change:
How exactly would I do that or what part of it would I take a picture of? Select the boot hd and select verbose?

Back