Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I’ve run into a problem. I’ve followed the guide on the 1st page, and got Catalina installed. Once I got to steps 20-21(see below) and reboot the system gets stuck in startup with the Apple logo. The bar moves super slow. I left it for an hour and came back and the bar was fully white but didn’t proceed. After a number of restarts I decided to try to reinstall Catalina, but now when I choose to boot from my install USB stick it too also just slowly loads and goes nowhere. Any idea why ?

17. Download, extract, install and Clover Configurator
18. Click on Mount EFI under tools
19. Mount the EFI partitions on the USB drive and on your system drives EFI partition
20. Copy the EFI folder from the USB drive's EFI partition to the EFI partition on your system drive
21. Eject the USB drive, reboot, and enter your BIOS
22. Set the 1st boot drive to your system drives UEFI partition. It will be pre-pended with UEFI
  1. Boot and check that your WiFi and Bluetooth work

I’ve run into a problem. I’ve followed the guide on the 1st page, and got Catalina installed. Once I got to steps 20-21(see below) and reboot the system gets stuck in startup with the Apple logo. The bar moves super slow. I left it for an hour and came back and the bar was fully white but didn’t proceed. After a number of restarts I decided to try to reinstall Catalina, but now when I choose to boot from my install USB stick it too also just slowly loads and goes nowhere. Any idea why ?

17. Download, extract, install and Clover Configurator
18. Click on Mount EFI under tools
19. Mount the EFI partitions on the USB drive and on your system drives EFI partition
20. Copy the EFI folder from the USB drive's EFI partition to the EFI partition on your system drive
21. Eject the USB drive, reboot, and enter your BIOS
22. Set the 1st boot drive to your system drives UEFI partition. It will be pre-pended with UEFI
  1. Boot and check that your WiFi and Bluetooth work

Sounds like somthing was changed during your copy of the EFI folder. Try booting with the verbose -v bootflag so we can see where its getting stuck at.

I made a short video on my build! Enjoy!

Thanks again to @ModMike and all others who have contributed to this guide!

So finally everything seems to be working fine after multiple installs and almost giving up I changed the BIOS and it has been working fine so far. Only difference in build is the i7-9700K and gigabyte RX 5700 XT running Catalina 10.15.2.

Poli169, what did you change in the BIOS to make your crashes go away?

I have a similar problem (all components in this build except a reference Sapphire VEGA 56 Pulse 8Gb videocard). First I thought the crashes were causes by the videocard overheating, but it only kicks in after the macOS screensaver hits (I can work or game for hours without problems but as soon as I leave it 30mins-1hr unattended it crashes and eventually reboots. Started in Catalina, it's driving me nuts. I also seem not to be able to stop the machine from going to screensaver (it kicks in after one minute or so even though I set the screensaver to 'never' in the settings).

Hi,
ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO WiFi <<this is my motherboard. I am stuck. Want to install Catalina. My processor is 9900K. 64GB RAM (Corsair). AMD Radeon VII (ASUS). Can you please help me? Or anyone?

Hi,
ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO WiFi <<this is my motherboard. I am stuck. Want to install Catalina. My processor is 9900K. 64GB RAM (Corsair). AMD Radeon VII (ASUS). Can you please help me? Or anyone?
There is a guide here

Hello! Can you explain how to get native NVRAM with the file ?
And how to remove RC script ?

Thank you.
Cleaning out the Clover gunk

Files to delete:
  • /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist
  • /etc/rc.clover.lib
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/10.save_and_rotate_boot_log.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local
If folders are empty then delete them as well: