Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390 I-Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
512K, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
It's the same as SATA, you can look in IORegistryExplorer to see if AppleALC is doing the rename correctly.
The thing is that it is properly named in mine, but I don't know what it was originally. Does that a mean the rename was applied dynamically by WhateEverGreen? I just don't know.

The one thing I did realize is that I forgot to include the USB SSDT in my EFI when I rebuilt it! Boy, are people going to be mad!

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
The thing is that it is properly named in mine, but I don't know what it was originally. Does that a mean the rename was applied dynamically by WhateEverGreen? I just don't know.

The one thing I did realize is that I forgot to include the USB SSDT in my EFI when I rebuilt it! Boy, are people going to be mad!
AppleALC does the rename for audio devices. If it's named correctly for you, AppleALC is doing its job correctly.

WhateverGreen does the rename for graphics.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Not at all, it's to assign the 15 logical ports to your hardware ports. This is the most definitive guide but super intense. I also don't know if you've made every port available to be able to use the Hackintool method. That being said, you will run out of logical ports before you finish mapping the ones that are plugged in.

That's about all I can offer at this point.
Thank you, that helps. A couple clarifying questions. If you can't answer, that's okay, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If I go back and attempt using the Hackintool method again, to create a custom kext instead of creating a custom SSDT:

1. I need to keep it to 15 ports? So I can strategically disable certain physical ports if I don't want to use them? So for example, there are two external USB 2.0 ports on my machine that I don't really need. If I need to choose between those 2.0 ports, or two 3.0 ports, I'd rather have the 3.0 ports fully functional. To keep it to a total of 15, can I just selectively not map those 2.0 ports to keep within the limit?

2. I have a USB 3.0 hub connected to a USB 3.0 port on my mobo. The hub itself has 4 ports. but the hub just correlates to the port it is plugged into, and does not add 4 more USB ports into the mix as far as the port mapping process is concerned. Is that correct? I've been operating under that assumption, but might as well clarify.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
  1. Yes and don't forget to assign one to your internal Bluetooth.
  2. I don't THINK so but unplug when testing.
Thank you for helping me with the somewhat off-topic questions. Appreciate it!

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
512K, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@silentone Not so fast, I screwed up (I say that lot, huh?). When I rebuilt Clover from the ground up some time ago, I forgot to put the SSDT for USB back in. I also took @pastrychef advice and put SAT0-SAT rename back in. I also added HDAS to HDEF for audio which may have been an issue for the rest of you. If you have any issues with audio, use layout ID 7

I was relying on Hackintool to give me info and I think it just doesn't work the way I thought it did so for sanity's sake, I put the renames in because they can only help, not hurt.

I will be taking a break from here for a few days if possible to dissect my system to understand what is configuring my system so I know what I need to export. I am deprecating my last EFIs and updated the ones in post 1 so you can use those.

Things SHOULD be a lot smoother on many fronts.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
512K, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
It's the same as SATA, you can look in IORegistryExplorer to see if AppleALC is doing the rename correctly.
It's weird, at one point it was, now it isn't. It's really hard to know what is being renamed on the fly. It's kind of a pain to have to wade through the IORegistry to figure out what to rename. On top it, I have no idea what renames Mojave still needs. Very frustrating.

Thank you for keeping me company on this quest!

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
512K, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
To all thread followers: Please update to the latest EFI, in post #1. The update includes an SSDT that was mistakenly left out in the last few versions, which would affect proper USB functions and I added some renames that may have caused SATA issues. I also HOPEFULLY fixed the audio so you can use layout 1. If it doesn't work, use layout 7.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
To all thread followers: Please update to the latest EFI, in post #1. The update includes an SSDT that was mistakenly left out in the last few versions, which would affect proper USB functions and I added some renames that may have caused SATA issues. I also HOPEFULLY fixed the audio so you can use layout 1. If it doesn't work, use layout 7.
So the redone EFI's in post one are good to go?
Got home. Would like to test it out with a whiped drive fresh install, with Fastboot disabled in Bios this time