Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I recently upgraded my system to Monterey 12.3. OpenCore 0.7.9. I started with a clean install of 11.2.3, mapped my USB ports, and then I did a direct upgrade to 12.3 via the App Store. In Monterey, I had to make the adjustments for Bluetooth discussed in the OpenCore install guide.

I noticed I couldn't get streaming to work with Apple Music over Bluetooth. Volumes were also wandering up and down at times in other applications when using Bluetooth. Apple Music Streaming.

I changed my audio layout id to #5 in boot arguments. That cleaned up my sound output device list. The two mystery "Line Out" selections disappeared. And, my volume matched when changing from the rear green port to the front HD Audio case jack. The case jack was WAY loud compared to the rear green jack when using audio layout id #1.

I still couldn't listen to streaming content in Apple Music.

So, I swapped out the DW1560 (M.2 BCM94352Z) with a M.2 BCM94360NG. I got it for $39 on Amazon. It's natively supported by Mac OS. So, I removed the four kexts that were required for the DW1560 on Monterey:
  • AirportBrcmFixup
  • BrcmFirmwareData
  • BrcmPatchRAM3
  • BlueToolFixup
OC Snapshot to match kext folder contents. Reset NVRAM twice.

Voila! Apple Music streams fine now over Bluetooth!

Bonus: AirDrop now works 100% as well as Unlock with Apple Watch. AirDrop and Unlock with Apple Watch were always very sketchy on the DW1560.

Hello everyone!
I'm going to replace the original Intel WIFi & Bluetooth card on the motherboard. I noticed, @ModMike used Dell DW1560. The question is there are other more modern and power options? Am I right that AirDrop will work with Dell cards?
Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!
I'm going to replace the original Intel WIFi & Bluetooth card on the motherboard. I noticed, @ModMike used Dell DW1560. The question is there are other more modern and power options? Am I right that AirDrop will work with Dell cards?
Thanks in advance!

works good, no kexts required, airdrop and other features work great

Thank you for the link to the store. Any other options with BLE 5.0?
have seen this:
but it is a usb dongle though

I recently upgraded my system to Monterey 12.3. OpenCore 0.7.9. I started with a clean install of 11.2.3, mapped my USB ports, and then I did a direct upgrade to 12.3 via the App Store. In Monterey, I had to make the adjustments for Bluetooth discussed in the OpenCore install guide.

I noticed I couldn't get streaming to work with Apple Music over Bluetooth. Volumes were also wandering up and down at times in other applications when using Bluetooth. Apple Music Streaming.

I changed my audio layout id to #5 in boot arguments. That cleaned up my sound output device list. The two mystery "Line Out" selections disappeared. And, my volume matched when changing from the rear green port to the front HD Audio case jack. The case jack was WAY loud compared to the rear green jack when using audio layout id #1.

I still couldn't listen to streaming content in Apple Music.

So, I swapped out the DW1560 (M.2 BCM94352Z) with a M.2 BCM94360NG. I got it for $39 on Amazon. It's natively supported by Mac OS. So, I removed the four kexts that were required for the DW1560 on Monterey:
  • AirportBrcmFixup
  • BrcmFirmwareData
  • BrcmPatchRAM3
  • BlueToolFixup
OC Snapshot to match kext folder contents. Reset NVRAM twice.

Voila! Apple Music streams fine now over Bluetooth!

Bonus: AirDrop now works 100% as well as Unlock with Apple Watch. AirDrop and Unlock with Apple Watch were always very sketchy on the DW1560.
Hi, if you don't mind can I ask for your EFI folder? I also recently upgraded from DW1560 to BCM94360NG but my wifi isn't working.. I'm pretty sure I already mapped my USB correctly and remove previous kext required by the DW1560.

Thank you

Hi, if you don't mind can I ask for your EFI folder? I also recently upgraded from DW1560 to BCM94360NG but my wifi isn't working.. I'm pretty sure I already mapped my USB correctly and remove previous kext required by the DW1560.

Thank you
Hi @emrexis, if your new card is functioning and installed correctly wifi should just work, its possible older kexts you had in place for the DW1560 could complicate things but that would be unusual. The great thing about the card is WIFI works out of the box, nothing else is needed except to make sure you have it turned on in the bios.

If your USB ports aren't configured correctly then Bluetooth won't work but again, WIFI will. Maybe the card isn't seated correctly or one of the antenna leads came off.

Hi @emrexis, if your new card is functioning and installed correctly wifi should just work, its possible older kexts you had in place for the DW1560 could complicate things but that would be unusual. The great thing about the card is WIFI works out of the box, nothing else is needed except to make sure you have it turned on in the bios.

If your USB ports aren't configured correctly then Bluetooth won't work but again, WIFI will. Maybe the card isn't seated correctly or one of the antenna leads came off.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Funny thing is my Bluetooth is working fine but not the wifi :') All the USB is working fine from previous remapping I did while using DW1560. I also did reattach the wifi module again making sure the connection is okay and the lead is connected. Here is my EFI folder if anyone curious.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 50
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Funny thing is my Bluetooth is working fine but not the wifi :') All the USB is working fine from previous remapping I did while using DW1560. I also did reattach the wifi module again making sure the connection is okay and the lead is connected. Here is my EFI folder if anyone curious.
Glad your Bluetooth is working, something must be conflicting with WIFI. In your config.plist under DeviceProperties you are defining an address for an AirPort Extreme. That might be causing the conflict. I would eliminate it regardless, maybe it will help.

Also your Kernel Quirks do not follow the recommended Dortania settings for a coffee lake platform the Z390 board represents. See the other screen shot, your first two CFG selections are fine but copy the other settings as shown below. You can also compare yours to the EFI uploaded on the first page, that could also make a difference. Hope either helps
Coffee Lake Quirks.png

airport extreme.png

Glad your Bluetooth is working, something must be conflicting with WIFI. In your config.plist under DeviceProperties you are defining an address for an AirPort Extreme. That might be causing the conflict. I would eliminate it regardless, maybe it will help.

Also your Kernel Quirks do not follow the recommended Dortania settings for a coffee lake platform the Z390 board represents. See the other screen shot, your first two CFG selections are fine but copy the other settings as shown below. You can also compare yours to the EFI uploaded on the first page, that could also make a difference. Hope either helpsView attachment 547971

View attachment 547970
Thank you for taking your time advising me!

Following your advice and comparing with new ModMike EFI I managed to get the wifi detected on system report! however it keeps looking for signal and failing just a second after that making the wifi icon become disabled on the upper left screen..

I might as well going back to DW1560.. even if airdrop is buggy at least it works for me :')

Back