Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I was just digging into your issue and I was also going to suggest you change the ID but wasn't sure which one to suggest because the EFI I gave you should have the right one. To answer your question, that is what I think the problem is, just not sure why you are having it if using my EFI.

The cleanup should help you because anything in those 2 extension folders will load after the ones in the EFI partition, causing them to be overridden.

Also remove NoVPAJpeg, WhatEverGreen eliminates the need for it.

1) Did you delete your EFI and drop mine in or did you just copy over it? You need to delete yours and drop mine in

2) Downlaod and run Kext Utility. It will fix the permissions in both your extension library which may have become jacked with all the deletes. Always be sure to use KextBeast to install anything into library/extensions/

There seems to be a debate about whether to put lilu, etc. in library/extensions/ or EFI/clover/ kexts/other. Installing them in EFI/clover/ kexts/other causes them to load with clover but more importantly, that's where Clover Configurator installs them by default. It has a nice interface for checking your versions, downloading the latest ones, and installing them.

What is the status now, does everything work as it should?

Thanks!

Current status is the system/library/extensions folder is still full of junk, but I'm not sure what is safe to get rid of, so I have left it like that for now, until I can find out what exactly is junk and what isn't.

NoVPAJpeg has already gone.

I backed up my EFI to my desktop, then deleted the current EFI and then dragged yours over.

I have already run the kext utility after each time I added or removed anything.

I also used kext beast to install all the kexts from your EFI to my library/extensions folder.

The guide that you linked to for Lilu suggested putting all kexts apart from fakesmc into library/extensions, so I did that and removed everything from the EFI/kexts/other folder apart from fakesmc. It seems to be OK with that so far.

I did have a go at the clover configurator kext installer, but wasn't sure what I was doing, so left it. I will have another look at that later, thanks.

I am still having the overly high GPU activity in apps where it should just be ticking over. To give you an idea, I had a Macbook i7, mid 2014 with intel iGPU and that ran Ableton perfectly without breaking a sweat and I'm talking large projects with lots of stuff on the screen. I do believe that something still isn't right with this RX560 and my gut feeling is that it is related to the system/library/extensions folder full of junk, or at least that seems like the most likely culprit in my very humble opinion.

Thanks!

Unless you apply the patch that won't work. The idea is to get it working properly, which it should without the need for patch.

Thanks, I think what I was meaning, was, could there be firmware or similar left behind in my MacOS install from changing the SMBIOS all those times?

Thank you for your patience. The editor and I had a disagreement, and I lost as you saw. Your build description is good to go with your latest edit. :thumbup:

@Stork What editor do you use? I want to insert anchors and am not experienced. Thanks!

@Stork What editor do you use? I want to insert anchors and am not experienced. Thanks!
I use the Forum editor. But, I type in the anchors tags by hand Here's an example:

Code:
[ANCHORLINK=Comments]Comments[/ANCHORLINK][/INDENT]
[anchor]Comments[/anchor][SIZE=5]Comments[/SIZE]

I'm not aware of a BBCode editor that has the anchor tags built into it.

@Stork After a marathon 10 hour round of editing I finally inserted my table of contents. I am frustrated by one formatting issue, spaces before and after lists.

Every time I use the list command, it inserts an extra line before and after the list, making it look too widely spaced. Is there a way to prevent that? I must have spent 2 hours on that alone.

By the way, I added a repair section and put the link before the table of contents so people looking for help with an existing install would see that first and jump to that section. Is that ok?

Thanks!

@Stork After a marathon 10 hour round of editing I finally inserted my table of contents. I am frustrated by one formatting issue, spaces before and after lists.

Every time I use the list command, it inserts an extra line before and after the list, making it look too widely spaced. Is there a way to prevent that? I must have spent 2 hours on that alone.
The WYSIWYG editor puts the List tag on first and last line by itself, thus adding the line before and after the list.
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]...
[/LIST]
What I do is to not insert a blank link before the list as the List tag will do that. Then I go into the text editor version which can be activated by clicking on the "gear" icon at the right end of the editor menu. Next I eliminate the line before the first bullet like so:
Code:
[LIST=1][*]...
and eliminate the last line at the end of the list:
Code:
[*]...[/LIST]
Be sure to click the "gear" menu again to return to the WYSIWYG version of the menu.

By the way, I added a repair section and put the link before the table of contents so people looking for help with an existing install would see that first and jump to that section. Is that ok?
Works for me. Good idea. :thumbup:

The WYSIWYG editor puts the List tag on first and last line by itself, thus adding the line before and after the list.
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]...
[/LIST]
What I do is to not insert a blank link before the list as the List tag will do that. Then I go into the text editor version which can be activated by clicking on the "gear" icon at the right end of the editor menu. Next I eliminate the line before the first bullet like so:
Code:
[LIST=1][*]...
and eliminate the last line at the end of the list:
Code:
[*]...[/LIST]
Be sure to click the "gear" menu again to return to the WYSIWYG version of the menu.

1) Tried it and can't make it 'stick' after a save, I always end up with 2 extra line, but can get it down to 1. Maybe I'm asking too much? Am I always stuck with at least 1 line?

2) Is there a way to make the second indent in a list letters? I tried
  • and no luck, I just get bullets

3) Is there such thing as a hard space? I am trying to align two words in the same sentence. I can just insert in picture but curious

4) Lastly, is there a list of all the BB codes supported on the sites?

Thank you!

I have a question concerning the temperatures as I'm planning to put an Intel i7-9700K, did you push the system to 100% to see how the case is handling the cooling ?

Yes I did and am overclocking to 5.00 GHz

I can't see temps being an issue because it's an open case and I'm also AIO liquid cooled. If you plan to use this case I highly recommend an AIO for the following reasons:
  1. The one I got is actually about $30 more than a Noctua one
  2. The case is built for a 240 radiator
  3. It is near silent in operation (depends on fans you choose)
  4. Works very well
  5. The RGB cooling block is Aura compatible
  6. The only way to get the awesome dual fan lighting is by mounting them on the radiator
Cheers!

1) Tried it and can't make it 'stick' after a save, I always end up with 2 extra line, but can get it down to 1. Maybe I'm asking too much? Am I always stuck with at least 1 line?

2) Is there a way to make the second indent in a list letters? I tried
  • and no luck, I just get bullets

3) Is there such thing as a hard space? I am trying to align two words in the same sentence. I can just insert in picture but curious

4) Lastly, is there a list of all the BB codes supported on the sites?

Thank you!
  1. I guess so
  2. Not that I'm aware of. See #4,
  3. Not that I'm aware of.
  4. Search for supported BBcodes in XF1.2 > https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/bbcode/

Back