Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Taking a break now isn't a bad idea. It's not a lost cause and when you decide to get back to it then double check your graphic bios settings.

Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128

4CD495F7-170D-406A-A180-D61260A635C7.jpeg

5A703FBD-922E-46D1-95E9-45B858E93D5C.jpeg

I have also tried:
Primary Display: PEG
iGPU Multi Monitor: Disabled
Which had the same issue, I was able to get to the very first screen of any GUI on the installer but it was badly broken:

5DEB6F73-6540-49BB-9D01-9B0749AD765D.jpeg

Interestingly enough that black box is my mouse cursor but if I shake it around it turns into the standard mouse and even has the effect of getting larger when you shake the mouse really fast. The rest of the screen stays the same though.

I just tried a couple more things:
- Click [Space] in Clover and disable WhateverGreen
- Disable WhateverGreen with that same process and also remove the boot arg
Both of these ended up with a black screen

View attachment 434342
View attachment 434343
I have also tried:
Which had the same issue, I was able to get to the very first screen of any GUI on the installer but it was badly broken:

View attachment 434344

Interestingly enough that black box is my mouse cursor but if I shake it around it turns into the standard mouse and even has the effect of getting larger when you shake the mouse really fast. The rest of the screen stays the same though.

Remove the graphics card and install the system without it using the integrated graphics. When it will work, connect a video card 5700 and kexts for it

View attachment 434342
View attachment 434343
I have also tried:

View attachment 434344

Dang. I went back to review your posts, are you trying to install Catalina? If so, and this is a Hail Mary, try Mojave instead.

Dang. I went back to review your posts, are you trying to install Catalina? If so, and this is a Hail Mary, try Mojave instead.

I would but i’m not sure if I can get the installer anymore because my only Mac is on Catalina and the 5700XT is unsupported in Mojave anyways I believe. Maybe I just have to try again to get it installed with the iGPU it’s just a real pain to take the card out in my case so I wanted to avoid doing that a second time lol

Remove the graphics card and install the system without it using the integrated graphics. When it will work, connect a video card 5700 and kexts for it
I can’t get the installer to show on integrated graphics either but I did install on integrated graphics once before so I have no clue why it’s not working all of a sudden.

Edit: After a long process which involved dragging my TV into my room to use as a computer monitor (only HDMI display) I finally got the iGPU installer to boot! Installing with the OP iGPU folder now..

Last edited:
Hi ... I followed this guide up to step 16. "Install Mojave.", everything goes well until the system restarts to boot from the SSD I'm installing Mojave, I get the apple logo and progress bar, but it gets stuck at around 40% and sometimes at around 80-90%.
Appreciate the help, thanks.

Here is my setup:
ASUS Z390-I / BIOS v2471
i5-9600K
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
AMD RX 5700 XT

I used ModMike's Catalina EFI folder.

I have this setup I disabled ATI injector and just removed WhateverGreen from being in kexts\other from there it will only display a screen on HDMI (I upgraded from Mojave). I had to add agdpmod=pikera to my config.plist then you can put Whatevergreen back in place other wise displayport never would work. I tried the new WhateverGreen tonight, and it still doesn't boot correctly. I upgraded from Mojave, and it removed a bunch of my Windows boot partitions, so just be warned.

I have a Intel 660p 2TB and Addlink 2TB. Both seem to work fine about which someone else asked about this in another post . I also noticed that sometimes when its showing a black screen merely moving the DisplayPort to another port made the screen work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 10.13.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 10.13.10 PM.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Well, thanks to a combination of everyone's help here over the past 2 days, I am writing this reply on my working Hackintosh with the 5700 XT plugged in and displaying via DisplayPort. What I ended up having to do was:

1. Create USB Installer with createInstallMedia
2. Install Clover on USB leaving everything default
3. Move the iGPU (from OP) folder into EFI on the USB
4. Physically remove the 5700 XT, plugin monitor over HDMI (would not work on DP)
5. Install Catalina
6. Copy EFI from USB to the system drive
7. Make sure everything works well..
8. Copy the EFI from iDrakus onto the system drive
9. Shut down and make sure BIOS settings were updated
10. Reinstall 5700 XT
11. Boot up, and it worked right away!

Thanks for the help everyone. It feels pretty great to see some progress after all of that struggle.

I can’t get the installer to show on integrated graphics either but I did install on integrated graphics once before so I have no clue why it’s not working all of a sudden.

Edit: After a long process which involved dragging my TV into my room to use as a computer monitor (only HDMI display) I finally got the iGPU installer to boot! Installing with the OP iGPU folder now..
That's great, no idea why you would have to remove your 5700 first to use the IGPU but whatever works is kind of what it is.

Well thanks to a combination of everyone's help here over the past 2 days I am writing this reply on my working Hackintosh with the 5700 XT plugged in and displaying via DisplayPort. What I ended up having to do was:

1. Create USB Installer with createInstallMedia
2. Install Clover on USB leaving everything default
3. Move the iGPU (from OP) folder into EFI on the USB
4. Physically remove the 5700XT, plugin monitor over HDMI (would not work on DP)
5. Install Catalina
6. Copy EFI from USB to the system drive
7. Make sure everything works well..
8. Copy the EFI from iDrakus onto the system drive
9. Shut down and make sure BIOS settings were updated
10. Reinstall 5700XT
11. Boot up, and it worked right away!

Thanks for the help everyone, it feels pretty great to see some progress after all of that struggle.

I found this on the home page, the last line describes a boot argument missing from Modmikes IGPU config.plist that could have caused you all that heartache.

What we know about 10.15.0 so far...
  • macOS Build 19A583
  • 32-bit Apps will not run on macOS Catalina.
  • Updated Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD graphics drivers
    • NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers have NOT been updatedfor macOS Mojave/Catalina. Users of NVIDIA Maxwell or Pascal graphics cards should stay on macOS High Sierra.
    • Catalina Graphics Support: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx and higher, Intel HD 4000 and higher, NVIDIA 6xx and 7xx 'Kepler'
    • Intel HD 630 graphics users may need to add -disablegfxfirmware at Clover boot screen

That's great, no idea why you would have to remove your 5700 first to use the IGPU but whatever works is kind of what it is.

I think that ultimately it was something to do with DisplayPort because I couldn’t get the installer to show up on anything (iGPU or dGPU) via DisplayPort but as soon as I switched my output to HDMI it worked. At that point the 5700XT was already out so I didn’t want to have to reinstall it, setup the USB again to try the theory so I just went with it. Now it’s recognizing both the 5700XT and the iGPU just fine.

Back