Contribute
Register

The difference between patching and injecting kexts.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
just so you know I have ordered a third usb3 card that arrives tomorrow

the shutdown issue happened even without the usb3 card installed - there are other cards in my mac that do other jobs - these aren't anything to do with sata or usb though. the only time it shutdown ok was when i added that cal kext.

if i look at the motherboard itself can i deduce which is intel and which is fresco? the io reg cant help?

there is only one fake pcid in there i believe -Im pretty sure you told me to remove the second one. Ill double check the EFI and edit this message - yes theres just fakepcIID in there . The other ones on my desktop as I was told to remove it.

Boot from LAN is disabled in BIOS by the way. _ I still feel im close - If I could get a SSDT and DSDT - that would go a long way to cure issues I suspect. I won't go past High Sierra on this build due to Nvidia. High Sierras not new - Mojave I would agree with you - I have always stayed back from the latest versions. Im perplexed by hackintool not displaying usb3. as a reminder of whats loaded, heres my current EFI

Okay.

Firstly FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext is needed if you are using an EHCI controller - and you are as the tests just showed. It is always paired with FakePCIID.kext. I mentioned removing it if you discovered an XHCI controller present in this post because XHCI doesn't need them.

I might conclude if shutdown worked when you installed the CalDigital kext (though didn't otherwise work) that shutdown is indeed being stymied by USB so ...

Yes, you certainly should create a proper USB SSDT. I mentioned Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll using the guide, not Hackintool. If it seems daunting, that's because it is complicated but if you need everything working as intended then it's hard to ignore :thumbup: Take a look at the last screen-grab in the Prepare for port discovery section and you will see an IORegistryExplorer section output remarkably like yours (his Lenovo u430). @RehabMan knows his stuff, indisputably. Sometimes there's just no short-cut.

Also, as an aside, X79 / X99 / X299 etc chipset motherboards have always presented extra configuration work, but they deliver raw power and are still desirable.

:)

Hi - you mentioned removing the xhcimux one a few days ago - My efi has been as per my last post for a few days now. Originally they were both in there - one was removed as until then i wasn't registering the usb3 ports - They came back after removal . Shall I put them back in and see what happens?

Ill get started re ssdt tomorrow morning - what about dsdt? can that be auto generated?

ok @UtterDisbelief - gone through io registry - Here are the results including the bluetooth adapter but excluding the Pcie Usb card
I release that USB3 and USB 2 will duplicate listings however it appears Im duplicating the USB2s - Once as an HP Number and once in the other driver too. Is this correct?

EH01@1D

HP11 PR11 1d1100000 USB2 Port 01 Front

HP12 PR11 1d120000 USB2 Port 02 Front

HP13 PR11 1d130000 USB2 Port 03 Front

HP14 PR11 1d140000 USB2 Port 04 Front

HP17 PR11 1d170000 USB2 Port 07 Rear bottom

PRT1 @ 1d110000 Internal bluetooth adapter BRCM20702

EH02@1A

HP21 PR21 1a@110000 Rear USB2 Port 01

HP22 PR21 1a@120000 Rear USB2 Port 02

HP23 PR21 1a@130000 Rear USB2 Port 03

HP24 PR21 1a@140000 Rear USB2 Port 04

HP25 PR21 1a@150000 Rear USB2 Port 05

HP26 PR21 1a@160000 Rear USB2 Port 06

The following four cover only case FRONT two x USB3 sockets

USBXHCIFL1100

PEX5@1C,5
IOPP

FRONT USB 3.0

USB20XHCI Port 00100000 Port 01

USB20XHCIPort 00200000 Port 02

USB30XHCIPort 00300000 Port 03

USB30XHCIPort@00400000 Port 04

Th following four cover case REAR 2x USB3 sockets

USBXHCIFL1100

PEX6@1C,6
IOPP

REAR USB3.0

USB20XHCIPort @01100000 Port 01

USB20XHCIPort @01200000 Port 02

USB30XHCIPort. @01300000 Port 03

USB30XHCIPort @01400000 Port 04

PEX7@1C,7 covers GENERICUSBXHCI - Not sure about what this covers ?

I have also noticed that PCI in system Profiler is listing a Broadcom Blutooth wireless adapter/controller. I don't think this is mine as mine is listed in USB .This could be from the previous EFI creators machine as I do not have wireless network in my machine. Only wired ethernet which is onboard and via a sep Ethernet card which is correctly listed separately in PCI. How do I go about removing an item from the list thats not in the machine? Is this what DSDT does?

Last edited:
Ok well I created an SSDT - bit confused on the USB2 front and used hub and EHo1/2 which I suspect is wrong but I loaded it and then removed Inject all kext from Clover/kexts . Im enclosing the one I made - be grateful if you could cast an eye over it . Not sure I got the Bluetooth bit right as per your instructions . Hackintool now just shows AppleUSBXHCI Hub simulation on all ports -and no longer shows any item connected - no usb3 showing on there either

Attachments

• SSDT MINE1 2.aml
    919 bytes · Views: 106
Ok well I created an SSDT - bit confused on the USB2 front and used hub and EHo1/2 which I suspect is wrong but I loaded it and then removed Inject all kext from Clover/kexts . Im enclosing the one I made - be grateful if you could cast an eye over it . Not sure I got the Bluetooth bit right as per your instructions . Hackintool now just shows AppleUSBXHCI Hub simulation on all ports -and no longer shows any item connected - no usb3 showing on there either
if you are using a SSDT for your USB ports, then you still need USBInjectAll.kext

if you are using a SSDT for your USB ports, then you still need USBInjectAll.kext

Hi @Feartech - I thought the SSDT replaced the need for it - will put it back in - sadly it hasn't cured shutdown as yet

Ok made a change as I didn't have the USB 3 vendor ID correct - Hackintool now showing whats connected on internal and usb2 - not 3 . Ive used Hub for HP /USB2 - is a vendor ID required for that?

Attachments

• SSDT MINE1 2.aml
    919 bytes · Views: 96
Last edited:
@Feartech @UtterDisbelief

I finally have some very good news to report

1. The third USB 3 card arrived (Innotek) and worked out of the box!....extra USB3 Bus is showing in sys prof.

2. It has cured Shutdown - which is great and a bit strange as I removed the previous card before and it was still not shutting down.

What remains now is:
A) to make sure my SSDT is correct - I don't think its quite right - Do I need to add the PCIe card ports to the SSDT?.....

B) DSDT - Im concerned about the attached page, which Im hoping the DSDT which came with the EFI I acquired is responsible for , as it sees parts that are not present. I tried removing the DSDT but it would not boot without it.

So in the attached page the Intel Gigabit Ethernet card and Nvidia Quadro card are real. Everything else is nonsense to me. Its not seeing a Blackmagic design video card or the USB3 card, or an AVID HD Native card thats in there. The software that runs both the Avid and BMD card see the device and its available as an audio option in sys pref - so operationally its ok - however the cards are all Mac compatible and should be appearing. Its not a driver issue.

I want to thank both of you for the amazing support Ive received - Think im on the home run here now ( famous last words ) Is it too early to celebrate with a beer?......

Attachments

• Sys Prof PCI Page.png
    Sys Prof PCI Page.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
@Feartech @UtterDisbelief

I finally have some very good news to report

1. The third USB 3 card arrived (Innotek) and worked out of the box!....extra USB3 Bus is showing in sys prof.

2. It has cured Shutdown - which is great and a bit strange as I removed the previous card before and it was still not shutting down.

What remains now is:
A) to make sure my SSDT is correct - I don't think its quite right - Do I need to add the PCIe card ports to the SSDT?.....

B) DSDT - Im concerned about the attached page, which Im hoping the DSDT which came with the EFI I acquired is responsible for , as it sees parts that are not present. I tried removing the DSDT but it would not boot without it.

So in the attached page the Intel Gigabit Ethernet card and Nvidia Quadro card are real. Everything else is nonsense to me. Its not seeing a Blackmagic design video card or the USB3 card, or an AVID HD Native card thats in there. The software that runs both the Avid and BMD card see the device and its available as an audio option in sys pref - so operationally its ok - however the cards are all Mac compatible and should be appearing. Its not a driver issue.

I want to thank both of you for the amazing support Ive received - Think im on the home run here now ( famous last words ) Is it too early to celebrate with a beer?......

Glad you've finally made some good progress. Congratulations for sticking with it :thumbup:

A) I would normally say "No". They will appear in a different part of your IOReg tree, not the EH0* or XHC. If you're feeling brave you could try seeing what Hackintool makes of it. The USB kext it produces is codeless and just contains an Info.plist. Would it contain details of the PCIe? I am not sure.

B) Having a quick scan through the 9667 lines of code in the DSDT you're using, it's not surprising it's causing problems - your motherboard is an X79-UP4 and the DSDT is for an X79-UD5

This might not sound worth worrying about, but it is. For a start all those "ghost" devices you have on the PCI bus are indeed from the DSDT and not real - as you've discovered. For example your own motherboard features a Realtek ACL892 audio codec, whereas the DSDT version contains an ALC898, so there's no way that's helping (I know you might be using external audio).

However I know getting 2011 or X-series motherboards running sweetly takes time.

:)

Hi @UtterDisbelief - no way I would have got this far without you guys.....

I was just thinking its USB - If the SSDT is only about case ports then fair enough - My only concern is that I wasn't sure about the one I created in regard to EH02 and 01 and the Internal bluetooth item - Also Hub 1 and 2 dont have the 8086 address - is that important? -They appear to be all working - Appreciate it if you could cast an eye over it? Hackintool is not seeing USB3 still....

How can I sort out the DSDT? which is the next step after the SSDT is agreed . It wont boot without one so presumably I cant extract?....

Last edited:
Well you can create SSDT and DSDT for various functions of hardware in the ACPI spec (Differentiated System Description Table and Secondary System Description Table in the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) as you can see from all those ghost devices you found.

The SSDT for USB just tells the underlying system how the USB ports are set-up, so that it can use them. For example the EHCI or XCI controllers, how the ports work, where they are, what their system 'addresses' are etc.

USB ports on add-on cards are a separate issue, as are some hubs. They are not always treated as built-in motherboard resources but as external peripherals.

For a DSDT - that's not easy to summarise (9667 lines of code etc...). You may or may not need one. Do a search explicitly for GA-X79-UP4 and you'll find some getting-started guides like this one. There are many others with more detail. Though I doubt many will address add-on PCIe USB cards.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back