Contribute
Register

The difference between patching and injecting kexts.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X79-UP4
CPU
i7-3930
Graphics
WX4100
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi - Im a bit confused - trying to sort out a couple of remaining issues and understanding wether if I have an Inject kexts -yes string in my config, and they are in the Other folder, do i need to patch them?

Hi - Im a bit confused - trying to sort out a couple of remaining issues and understanding wether if I have an Inject kexts -yes string in my config, and they are in the Other folder, do i need to patch them?
what are you trying to accomplish?

Hi Feartech - Im trying to get the remaining issues in my High Sierra build sorted. Since writing I have sorted out the onboard USB issues by using Rehab mans guide re patching his kext, and both e sata and USB ports onboard are now functioning. However, I have a 3rd party 7 port USB 3.0 PCIe controller that worked as plug and play on sierra but its not being seen on High Sierra at all. There are no Mac drivers for that card at all, or any other card i dont think. ....so Im wondering if theres a kext that will help PCIe card recognition. In my Sierra EFI there are two Fake PCIID kexts that are not in High Sierra EFI as I used someone elses EFI (another member) as the basis for this build as I couldn't get my previous one to boot. The other issue Im having is restarting by itself after shutdown . I see there are a few threads on this.......The final thing thats odd is a few times when I boot I get a boot failure with BIOS telling me I need to adjust it as the settings aren't right. The BIOS settings are based on my Sierra settings, so I go through and save BIOS without changing anything and next time it boots ok. I suspect theres a setting in there it doesn't like but no idea which one. .........After weeks of trying, and some difficult obstacles to overcome, Im almost there with this build thanks to the help Ive had here.....just the above left to go

Hi Feartech - Im trying to get the remaining issues in my High Sierra build sorted. Since writing I have sorted out the onboard USB issues by using Rehab mans guide re patching his kext, and both e sata and USB ports onboard are now functioning. However, I have a 3rd party 7 port USB 3.0 PCIe controller that worked as plug and play on sierra but its not being seen on High Sierra at all. There are no Mac drivers for that card at all, or any other card i dont think. ....so Im wondering if theres a kext that will help PCIe card recognition. In my Sierra EFI there are two Fake PCIID kexts that are not in High Sierra EFI as I used someone elses EFI (another member) as the basis for this build as I couldn't get my previous one to boot. The other issue Im having is restarting by itself after shutdown . I see there are a few threads on this.......The final thing thats odd is a few times when I boot I get a boot failure with BIOS telling me I need to adjust it as the settings aren't right. The BIOS settings are based on my Sierra settings, so I go through and save BIOS without changing anything and next time it boots ok. I suspect theres a setting in there it doesn't like but no idea which one. .........After weeks of trying, and some difficult obstacles to overcome, Im almost there with this build thanks to the help Ive had here.....just the above left to go
when you did port discovery following the usb guide, did anything not show up when you plugged a usb device in the usb card?

did you try:
Hackintool:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v1-7-3.254559/post-1764779 as that may help

"when you did port discovery following the usb guide, did anything not show up when you plugged a usb device in the usb card?"

no ports on the card are working. not sure what you mean by port discovery? on initial boot some usb 2 and 3 case ports worked and some didnt. After I patched rehab Mans Kext all ports came back. Only thing that didnt is the USB PCIE card. There are two other PCIe cards inside that aren't being seen either despite drivers loaded for them in the OS. Some cards are though, such as Ethernet.(I have an additional pcie ethernet card) This tells me Im probably missing a kext...... What do PCIID kexts fix?

"when you did port discovery following the usb guide, did anything not show up when you plugged a usb device in the usb card?"

no ports on the card are working. not sure what you mean by port discovery? on initial boot some usb 2 and 3 case ports worked and some didnt. After I patched rehab Mans Kext all ports came back. Only thing that didnt is the USB PCIE card. There are two other PCIe cards inside that aren't being seen either despite drivers loaded for them in the OS. Some cards are though, such as Ethernet.(I have an additional pcie ethernet card) This tells me Im probably missing a kext...... What do PCIID kexts fix?
use the hackintool above and test your ports

assume you tested this card in windows ok?

what chipset is this usb card?

keep in mind the limit of usb ports on a hackintosh and that you will have to sacrifice some to keep in the 15 port limit

Hi - that didnt work with HS .

Ok loaded Hackintool - bit odd really as its not seeing some ports that are functioning, - According to the tool they are all USB2, when some are USB3. System profiler sees them correctly as usb 3. It also doesn't see my graphics card where system profiler does. Is there a way I could post the results without taking a photo of each screen?

Hi - that didnt work with HS .

Ok loaded Hackintool - bit odd really as its not seeing some ports that are functioning, - According to the tool they are all USB2, when some are USB3. System profiler sees them correctly as usb 3. It also doesn't see my graphics card where system profiler does. Is there a way I could post the results without taking a photo of each screen?
you edit the ones that are supposed to be usb3 and usb2 etc, then export at the bottom, then you have a choice

either use the kext ot use USBinjectAll and the SSDT's it creates on the desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back