Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

First you'll need to add your Dell hardware to your signature or your main hardware profile. Your choice. Include the CPU and graphics you have. For motherboard, simply put in Dell 9020 USFF.
Now i have changed

Did you make your own USB ports kext ? Did you use one you found somewhere else ?
No i dont make my own USB Port kext

Hi, thank you for the awesome guide. I am having one small issue. I can't seem to get 60hz in any resolution higher than 2560 x 1440 (connected DisplayPort to mDP). Normally, I'd be fine with that, but it is not HiDPI so its fairly fuzzy. This is with the iGPU. I also have a dGPU (Nvidia GT 710) that seems to be having the same issue (connected DVI to HDMI). I have a 4k panel, so I am considering patching my DVMT, but I'm kind of nervous. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

I have a 4k panel, so I am considering patching my DVMT, but I'm kind of nervous. Any thoughts on what could be going on?
The GT 710 has HDMI 1.4 not 2.0 so it can't give you 4K/60Hz. DVI will never even give you a 4K resolution. Your HD4600 will only give you 4K/60Hz when DVMT is increased to 64MB. Follow the guide to change the offset so you have 64MB available.

Which Dell Optiplex do you have ? Is it 7020 or 9020 ? SFF or MT ? It should be in your hardware profile.

Last edited:
The GT 710 has HDMI 1.4 not 2.0 so it can't give you 4K/60Hz. Your HD4600 will only give your 4K/60 when DVMT is increased to 64MB. Which dell Optiplex do you have ? Is it 7020 or 9020 ? SFF or MT ? It should be in your hardware profile.
Thanks for the quick reply! Updated my profile to reflect what I have. Sorry about that.

As far as knowing what my DVMT is currently set at, is there a way I can see any of that information somewhere? I know its hidden in the BIOS but I wasn't sure if there was a way I could check before getting into changing it.

I wasn't sure if there was a way I could check before getting into changing it.
First, make sure you flashed the latest BIOS for your Optiplex if you haven't done that.

It's all in the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-dell-optimac-big-sur-opencore-thread.302383/#post-2165113 you need to boot from the USB into a modified Grub Shell to determine the current setting.

Type this after the prompt (in orange) press return and it will tell you what the offset is currently.

Screen_Shot_23.png

If 0x263 is not 0x2 it's not set to 64MB DVMT. That simple.

1609963344635.png

Last edited:
First, make sure you flashed the latest BIOS for your Optiplex if you haven't done that.

It's all in the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-dell-optimac-big-sur-opencore-thread.302383/#post-2165113 you need to boot from the USB into a modified Grub Shell to determine the current setting.

Type this after the prompt (in orange) press return and it will tell you what the offset is currently.

View attachment 504070

If 0x263 is not 0x2 it's not set to 64MB DVMT. That simple.

View attachment 504069
I'm on A25 so I'm good there. I am having an issue editing my plist with ProperTree to add the necessary steps to Misc/Tools. I am trying with PlistEdit Pro so I will try to boot into the modified grub shell to check on this stuff. Wish me luck!

Tried using his latest. No change. Who knows. Thank you again though.

Back