Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

My mic is not working in Big Sur.ALC layout id 17 .
Have you tried some other layout IDs ? All of the options are in the guide in post #1 near the end of the guide.
With some Layout IDs auto switching doesn't happen. Some don't enable the internal speaker, some do. There is a wide variation in what each one does. I haven't personally tested all of them. I use 13 as the default choice.

Last edited:
@joostiphone
It is perfectly alright to stay with OC 0.6.2. If you do want to update to the .3 version here's an easier way to update. Try the OC gen-x approach of making a new EFI and then copy and paste the specific info your Optiplex needs to the new config.plist contained therein. Also make any changes to Quirks that you have previously on the old config.plist. and put the SSDT.aml files you need into the ACPI folder. PPC doesn't show any of that in the video.

You can follow the video by PPC. Only difference is that you will select Haswell instead
of Kaby Lake for your CPU type, the 4590S is Haswell based.

I actually did this, and the EFI I attached is the output of this :) But I don't seem to get it to work, so I'm sure there is something wrong in the EFI. I just don't seem to understand what's wrong.

Air play not working on big sur Desktop optiplex 9020 DP to VGA monitor by the way it is working with same on Mojave and catalina
1-If I replace monitor and use DP to HDMI it will work on Big Sur?
2-any one have airplay working on Desktop optiplex 9020?

Last edited:
Air play not working on big sur Desktop optiplex 9020 DP to VGA monitor by the way it is working with same on Mojave and catalina
Many people throughout the forums report the same thing. I still consider Big Sur to be in beta stage right now. Not everything will work perfectly so don't expect it to. Also, you need to fill out your profile with your Optiplex hardware.

The many unresolved issues with Big Sur are why I said this in the first post of this thread. It's a WIP right now.

if your Catalina or Mojave based OptiMac install is a production machine do not upgrade to Big Sur yet. Big Sur, in it's early stages, is not stable enough for everyday use to get your work done. Wait at least until the 11.3 update before making the full transition to the latest macOS 11 Big Sur.

The attached EFI is without my serial info etc.

It would be much appreciated!

I don't see much wrong with it. Perhaps you need to make some changes in Quirks to make it work with OC 0.6.3.
Have a look at the dortania guide on github. Also use the online sanity checker website to find any errors in the plist.

Last edited:
I'd like to see screenshots of everyone's Intel Power gadget output at idle. Does your clock speed ever get to below 2.9 GHz and down to .7 or .8 ? I know that idle should be at a much lower speed than 2.9 GHz. Let it idle for at least 5 minutes with no apps running. Then take a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

I'd like to see screenshots of everyone's Intel Power gadget output at idle. Does your clock speed ever get to below 2.9 GHz and down to .7 or .8 ? I know that idle should be at a much lower speed than 2.9 GHz. Let it idle for at least 5 minutes with no apps running. Then take a screenshot.

View attachment 498209

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.18.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.18.57 PM.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 50
Is these good?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 12.29.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 12.29.17 AM.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 56
At idle it should get below 1GHz and the speed never goes below 2GHz. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm just curious as to why it never goes down to the lower clock speeds.

At idle it should get below 1GHz and the speed never goes below 2GHz. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm just curious as to why it never goes down to the lower clock speeds.
This may be normal for imac,15.1 SMBIOS

Back