Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

maybe this gives us an opportunity to keep these machines running as iMac 15,1. That seems to be most compatible SMBIOS. They've also confirmed that the support for Intel HD4600 is still in Monterey.
OLP is not intended for use with a hackintosh, just "real" Macs. Root volume patching isn't supported on hackintoshes at this time. There may be much simpler ways to keep using 15,1 and I'm looking into the options. That being said, I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Monterey any time this year.

Last edited:
Okay, I understand, but I think it's fun to check what possibilities we may have.

I'm not an early adopter myself, still rocking Catalina on the OptiMac and Big Sur on the Macbook. But it's good to know HD4600 support is still available. I'm sure when time is ready and Monterey is stable enough you'll figure something out!

I'm sure we don't have to throw away our precious Opti's yet!

It's not the best match ..
Not for Big Sur but 7,1 might be best chance of getting it working with Monterey. Are we already using the settings for the 5100 GPU and likely to need USB and and CPU and changes from the current settings but 15,1 sys defs are almost certainly not going to work on Monterey.

but 15,1 sys defs are almost certainly not going to work on Monterey.
It is possible that it will work with the Monterey Dev beta but as you know that is still under NDA, we can't discuss that here. Not until public beta is released.

Can anyone help me get Sleep/Wake working on my 9020? Feel like I've tried everything short of buying new DP cables. It worked exactly once, after I disabled legacy boot roms and flashed my GPU with a UEFI-capable boot rom. Next reboot, back to no signal to displays after wake. What I've tried: Reset NVRAM, BIOS defaults, Auto/dGPU Main in BIOS, new RTC battery, unplug and replug DP->HDMI cable after wake... all to no avail. Here's my EFI if it's of any help. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 73
Feel like I've tried everything short of buying new DP cables. It worked exactly once, after I disabled legacy boot roms and flashed my GPU with a UEFI-capable boot rom. Next reboot, back to no signal to displays after wake.
Welcome to the club. I've not gotten wake from sleep to work when the RX 570 is installed. It works with Nvidia cards and HD4600 igfx but not AMD cards. One person claimed they got it to work when using iMac 19,1 SMBIOS but I've never tried using that as I want 15,1 instead.

Welcome to the club. I've not gotten wake from sleep to work when the RX 570 is installed. It works with Nvidia cards and HD4600 igfx but not AMD cards. One person claimed they got it to work when using iMac 19,1 SMBIOS but I've never tried using that as I want 15,1 instead.
Ah dang I guess I should have RTFM. Super frustrating since it worked just fine on my Optiplex 970 I'm upgrading from. Thanks anyway, I'm gonna keep messing around with it and if I find something that works I'll report back. Unrelated side note, the Fenvi BCM94360CD PCIe adapter works flawlessly connected to the internal header for WiFi and Bluetooth. Using a Magic Keyboard and it even works in the BIOS! Don't have any devices to try handoff though unfortunately.

Well better late than never! I have finally installed Big Sur on my 7020. @trs96 kudos! Another GREAT guide. Flawless install using your instructions. I have yet to test iMessage, Airdrop, Handoff etc, but so far Wifi+BT works so that's a good start. I've got a lot to learn about OC, since I just went with your guided steps without doing my homework (I know, I know, I will go back and follow the links you very helpfully provided :). I just had a hankering' for doing another trs96-guided install. My main driver is still Mojave on the 9010 MT. I had postponed this 9020 because I had wanted a discrete graphics card such as the 570 or even 5500. But as everyone knows, I was too late to pull the trigger on a purchase before things got silly. So I am running with the 4600, and for giggles I installed the K600 just to see if it would work. It does. Same with my Firewire 400/800 by SiiG. (I have lots of old FireWire800 drives/enclosures which still work and are just fine for TimeMachine backups.).

I'll start testing some of the edge stuff, like all the USB ports, audio, Continuity, and try my hand at dual booting into Windows 10 (I'm hoping that is as simple as it has been for me on Clover).

Thank you again, @trs96. I'm looking forward to a little bit of discovery. Maybe I'll move my daily driver over to this machine.

I'm looking forward to a little bit of discovery. Maybe I'll move my daily driver over to this machine.
Good to hear that the guide helped get Big Sur installed. BS did get a new coat of paint and it looks a lot more polished, especially dark mode. Did you use the latest OC GenX app to create your EFI ? I use HD4600 on one of my machines, the SFF and it's looking great with Big Sur, I have no complaints. It's perfectly good for everyday use, you can even do basic iMovie video edits with built in graphics. I also like the fact that anyone most anywhere in the world can buy one and get a positive start with macOS without spending a fortune on hardware. That was my goal in writing most all of my guides. There are many great guides on newer hardware that costs much more but not everyone has as much money (disposable income) to spend as we do here in the more wealthy countries like the USA. We also tend to get the lowest hardware prices here compared to any other country. Other than new/used AMD graphics cards that is.

Last edited:
... Did you use the latest OC GenX app to create your EFI ? ...
Yes, I used the latest that the links in the guide pointed to..
Gotta say it again.. smoothest hackintosh I've done. All extra features I wanted are working ... wifi+bt, Continuity, Apple Watch Unlock, AirDrop, dual boot and OpenCore in firmware. Setting the next boot device from within macOS Startup Disk. One monitor on built-in DP, a second on the K600.
Now I want to see if I can add thunderbolt PCIE card, so that I could hook up my classic Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display :).

You probably have already answered this, and if so please point me to the post, ... how does the 9020 compare to the 9010 (all things being equal?)

Back