Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

My 9020 MT really doesn’t like when I replace the GPU. I’ve decided to goes back to Mojave and reinstall the GT710 and it behaved the same as yesterday (when I installed the WX 5100):

It boots but the power button flashes in sequences 3-2 (or 2-3…).

The only solution is to disconnect all hard disks, all USB devices except mouse and keyboard, remove the GPU, short the CMOS pins and restart with only one monitor plugged to one of the integrated DP ports. Then, I tweak the BIOS setup and add devices carefully. HDD’s, reboot. USB, reboot and finally, dGPU, reboot!

**It’s now fine and processing to restore the Mojave CCC backup I luckily made on an external USB3 HDD. Really slow but I should have a functional machine in three or four hours ;)

It boots but the power button flashes in sequences 3-2 (or 2-3…).
Those amber blink codes are not related to graphics. Look at the 9020 manual...

Screen Shot 18.jpg

My 9020 MT really doesn’t like when I replace the GPU.
The WX-5100 has native support in macOS so I don't think that is at fault.
You could test it with Windows to make certain it's not a faulty/failing card.

I'm using a WX-2100 in the SFF and it has no problems like this.

The good news is you can easily replace the 9020 MT board for a small amount of money if it is failing.

Last edited:
Those amber blink codes are not related to graphics. Look at the 9020 manual...

View attachment 555013

The WX-5100 has native support in macOS so I don't think that is at fault.
You could test it with Windows to make certain it's not a faulty/failing card.

I'm using a WX-2100 in the SFF and it has no problems like this.

The good news is you can easily replace the 9020 MT board for a small amount of money if it is failing.
I know they are not related to the dGPU, probably more USB, memory, CPU or main board, depending on the code reading (2-3 or 3-2, hard to catch…).

Once I do the procedure of removing everything except the Wifi PCIe card and USB 3.1 card, it boots correctly. Then, adding the devices by groups and it’s fine.

It’s like something is messed in the NVRAM regarding dGPU. However, like you mentioned, could be a faulty MB but weird that it only shows when inserting or removing the dGPU.

**Oh, plenty of those MT 9020 cheap on eBay… in case mine is dying :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of adding a Dell Optiplex 9020 to my office, however, I have doubts about the performance compared to a Mac mini from 2014 as both have the same CPU generation (in case of my mini an i5, 4 gb RAM). The mini begins to feel sluggish in everyday office work with slow reaction times and poor multitasking performance. I have two displays connected (wqhd + fhd).

Can I expect a performance boost with an Optiplex 9020 with a Core i7, 8 or 16 gb RAM and a dGPU?

Last edited:
@bustra - I got Mac mini 2014 i5 , 4gb RAM and Optiplex 9020 with i7 and 8 gb RAM (no dGPU). Both with the same 256 SSD replaced. Mac Mini with these specs is really a bad performer even for office tasks. Dell is way more responsive and powerful, also you can install whatever OS you want. Not to mention the price... Dell is a winner by far in my oppinion.

Last edited:
Thank you for you replies. Heading to eBay now...

Hi all,

I'm planning to update from Big Sur to Monterey, so I think I need to update OpenCore from 0.7.1 to a newer one. This is my first attempt to update OpenCore.

I will follow the official guide but are there any Optimac-specific tweaks needed?

Attached is my EFI, FYI.

Thank you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    13.9 MB · Views: 37
For anyone interested in trying out Ventura 13.0, don't post support questions here. There's a new thread on this topic in the Ventura support forum. @joostiphone has initiated it. I'm not testing 13.0 Ventura at this time. Ask any relevant questions there. Thanks !

Hi all,

I'm planning to update from Big Sur to Monterey, so I think I need to update OpenCore from 0.7.1 to a newer one. This is my first attempt to update OpenCore.

I will follow the official guide but are there any Optimac-specific tweaks needed?

Attached is my EFI, FYI.

Thank you!
I have followed this guide, as well as tried OCAuxiliaryTools and OpenCore Updater to update OC from 0.7.1 to 0.8.6. However, none of them succeeded. In all attempts, My OptiMac booted with OC 0.7.1, although all the related update files were placed in EFI and NVRAM was cleared. I also tried OC 0.7.1 to 0.7.2 with all 3 methods, but with no success. Does anybody have any idea? I'm really stuck.

Back