Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

hye @trs96 , while running hackintool , apps notify to update OC to the latest version ,, current 0.69 upgradeable to 0.76 how this is done ? can you show us how or any links prior to update OC bootloader
There's no need to do that unless upgrading to Monterey. It offers no advantages for these older Dells running Big Sur.

If you do want to experiment, back up your current EFI folder somewhere safe. Use the OC Gen X app for 0.7.6 and create a new EFI and transfer over the custom EFI settings. All that is documented in this guide, just read and follow it. Go back and read posts #1 and #2. Remember the 3020 uses Realtek Ethernet and not Intel. Post any further 3020 questions in the 3020 thread.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot trs96 for this insane Guide !!
I have my Dell 9020 running perfectly under Monterey now . I just have to change my ROM to reconnect to ICloud .
I am very surprise by the migration from Big Sur :
- flickering issue with my screen (acer S277 ) disappear : I can now working in 4K-60Hz with iGpu
- the audio streaming via Upnp is greater
Next step : Radeon R9 290 with the replacement of the PSU

Are you using iMac 17,1 or the Mac mini 7,1 SMBIOS ?
I am using Macmini7,1 with your Efi .
Tonight , I have blacks screens during 1sec every 15 min .

I am using Macmini7,1 with your Efi .
Tonight , I have blacks screens during 1sec every 15 min .
Using a DP to HDMI adapter or a straight DP to DP cable ?

hey @trs96 is there any thread for me to follow to update OR boot ...? how can I update OC boot loader from 0.7.5 to 0.7.7 ( got this update from Hackintool )

how can I update OC boot loader from 0.7.5 to 0.7.7
There's really no need to do that on your 7020. The majority of the changes in 0.7.7 are for Z690 chipset builds and for Apple Macs using OCLP. Updating AppleALC to the latest can break your audio. If 0.7.5 works for you now, stay with it. Why do more work if you don't need to ? If you want to practice fixing things that break, then it's up to you to fix them.

As for OpenCore, it got two major changes. First is the audio driver re-engineering, which allowed for support of many more audio controllers including Apple hardware, thanks to @mikebeaton, and second is the quirk we created to activate the efficiency cores on Intel Alder Lake. More details on Intel Alder Lake are provided in a separate post.

Have a nice winter,

— Vit

Does any of this in the 0.7.7 changelog appear to relate to a Dell 7020 or 9020 from 2014 ?
  • Fixed rare crash caused by register corruption in the entry point
  • Added ProvideCurrentCpuInfo support for Intel Alder Lake
  • Fixed typo in Cpuid1Data recommendations for Intel Rocket Lake and newer
  • Updated builtin firmware versions for SMBIOS and the rest
  • Updated underlying EDK II package to edk2-stable202111
  • Resolved crashes in QEMU with AudioDxe
  • Added AudioDxe settings caching (avoids non-needed setup delays)
  • Added DisconnectHda quirk to allow UEFI sound on Apple hardware and others
  • Added workarounds for bugs in QEMU intel-hda driver to allow UEFI sound in QEMU
  • Implemented multi-channel (e.g. bass+main speaker; speakers+headphones) UEFI sound with AudioOutMask
  • Fixed AudioDxe startup stalls when Nvidia HDA audio is present
  • Resolved AudioDxe disabling sound in Windows on some firmware
  • Added pointer polling period tuning in the builtin AppleEvent implementation
  • Added pointer device list tuning in the builtin AppleEvent implementation
  • Added VREF handling to support UEFI sound on more Apple hardware

Last edited:
There's really no need to do that on your 3020. The majority of the changes in 0.7.7 are for Z690 chipset builds and for Apple Macs using OCLP. Updating AppleALC to the latest can break your audio. If 0.7.5 works for you now, stay with it. Why do more work if you don't need to ? If you want to practice fixing things that break, then it's up to you to fix them.

Have a nice winter,

— Vit

Does any of this in the 0.7.7 changelog appear to relate to a 3020 from 2014 ?
  • Fixed rare crash caused by register corruption in the entry point
  • Added ProvideCurrentCpuInfo support for Intel Alder Lake
  • Fixed typo in Cpuid1Data recommendations for Intel Rocket Lake and newer
  • Updated builtin firmware versions for SMBIOS and the rest
  • Updated underlying EDK II package to edk2-stable202111
  • Resolved crashes in QEMU with AudioDxe
  • Added AudioDxe settings caching (avoids non-needed setup delays)
  • Added DisconnectHda quirk to allow UEFI sound on Apple hardware and others
  • Added workarounds for bugs in QEMU intel-hda driver to allow UEFI sound in QEMU
  • Implemented multi-channel (e.g. bass+main speaker; speakers+headphones) UEFI sound with AudioOutMask
  • Fixed AudioDxe startup stalls when Nvidia HDA audio is present
  • Resolved AudioDxe disabling sound in Windows on some firmware
  • Added pointer polling period tuning in the builtin AppleEvent implementation
  • Added pointer device list tuning in the builtin AppleEvent implementation
  • Added VREF handling to support UEFI sound on more Apple hardware
thanks 4 da explanation..forgot to change my system I'm using right now..I upgrade from 3020 to 7020 as ur recommendation .. but I pretty sure that EFI OC that u attached in your guide would be enough for now. thanks again

Back