Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

I don't mind using another system definition, which one do you recommend? Should it also be Haswell? because the latest version with Haswell(S)
If you want to keep using iMac 15,1 you probably could with no_compat_check boot flag. The problem is that no Monterey updates will be offered when using that SMBIOS.

Some have switched to Mac mini 7,1 for Monterey. That makes sense if using just the iGPU. The 7,1 mini has HD5000. It's possible that iMac 16,1 would work too. Not sure how well the iGPU would work though.

Initially, I switched my OptiMac to iMac 15,1 but some USB ports were not detected (front and back USB 3.0) when I generated a new USB map.

Then I tried the Macmini7,1 some moths ago and everything is working perfectly.

I'm using the latest Big Sur (macOS 11.6) and OpenCore 0.7.4.

I followed this guide and so far it has worked great on my 9020 USFF w/ i7 4790S. Installed using OC 0.74 and Big Sur 11.6. I did have to plug the install media into a USB 2.0 port, which I haven't had to do before (dispite guides saying so). I have not tested all the usb ports yet, but an iPad plugged into the USB 3.0 rear port cause a dialog box to rapidly appear and disappear (can't remember what it said), but plugging into a 2.0 hub that itself is plugged in a usb 2.0 works.

I don't think my rear audio port works, haven't taken the time to check it out yet. Front one worked so it's not a priority.

I have an Intel 7260 WiFi. I originally tried installing Big Sur with the kexts for it, but that obviously ended in failure because I'm dumb. I may try it now everything is working, any one else use these? I see this card is supported by the project.

Last edited:
I followed this guide and so far it has worked great on my 9020 USFF w/ i7 4790S
Welcome to the Dell Optiplex budget CustoMac fan club. These are great bang for your buck machines. High build quality, highly compatible and easy to hackintosh. ;)

As far as the audio line out, you can experiment with different audio layout-ids to find the one best for you. There is info about this near the end of post #1 of the Golden Build thread.

Alternate Realtek Audio (ALC280) Layout IDs

The layout-id of 17 will enable all the inputs and outputs but you'll have to switch between them manually.
The default layout-id of 13 doesn't enable the internal speaker and works the best for me. If that does not work for your needs, there are others you can test out. Try 15,16 etc. and find the best configuration for you.

According to Acidanthera any of the following will work to enable different combos of mic, line out, headphones and internal speaker:
layout 3, 4, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 21

Last edited:
Good News for Windows 11 Fans !
I've tried installing Windows 11 on my 3020 SFF and it is possible. I won't be dual booting it with Big Sur as it will likely create problems for the macOS installation. I never dual boot with Windows on any hackintosh I own.

Let's say that in 3-4 years from now you are tired of macOS, Big Sur is out of support and you want to keep your 3020/7020/9020 productive. Windows 11 should still be an option. Whether you can get security updates for it then remains to be seen. I have written a short guide that you can follow to make this possible for your 3020, 7020 or 9020 Optiplex. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-install-windows-11-on-unsupported-hardware.316257/

There are a few BIOS changes that must be made for it to work. CSM (Legacy) support must be disabled. This is the opposite of what you do to run Big Sur with HD4600 on your Dell Optiplex. Note that I'm not going to support your dual boot with Win11 if you attempt to do that. If you want to keep 11 on a separate drive and only connect it when your macOS SSD is disconnected, that is one way to avoid dual boot problems.

Then under the Security section of BIOS, you also can enable TPM Security support. These have TPM 1.2 and not 2.0. The registry hack just gets you by the TPM 2.0 requirement. It also gets you past the check for an 8th gen or newer Intel CPU. If you have a quad core Haswell i5 or i7 it is more than enough to run Windows 11. Install it to it's own SSD and it will be plenty fast.

Here's a few screenshots:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
I think I never mentioned; I'm using Windows 11 dual booted with Big Sur and Monterey since the beginning of Monterey and Win11's beta's. It's working great so far with updates on Win 11. A week ago I installed the final version of Win11.

My 9020 USFF system is now a dual boot system with Windows 11 and Monterey (beta).

My 9020 USFF system is now a dual boot system with Windows 11 and Monterey
Is each OS on it's own disk or all on a single one ? Do you have Secure Boot enabled and Legacy OP ROMs disabled ?
What did you do to get past the CPU and TPM 2.0 checks ?

Is each OS on it's own disk or a separate one ? Do you have Secure Boot enabled and Legacy OP ROMs disabled ?

• Each OS in a separated SSD (so I'm using 2 SSD's)
  • 'TPM Security' - Enabled
  • 'TPM ACPI Support' - Enabled
  • 'Secure boot enable' - Disabled
  • 'Enable Legacy Option ROMs' - Disabled
I didn't do anything beyond these settings to get past anything. I just made a USB with Rufus and the official Windows 11 ISO. Just booted from USB, and installed on my Windows SSD, and ofcourse using the latest version of OpenCore, 0.7.4.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg