Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

This build is solid!, everything is just working, sound works, messages, airdrop and handoff, amazing guide.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.17.36 AM.png

@trs96 I tried hooking up a second display today. Both were connected to the DP ports. It didn't work, any tricks to that?

Both were connected to the DP ports. It didn't work, any tricks to that?
They both work on my 7020 SFF. What kinds of monitors are they connected to ? Using any DP to HDMI adapters ?

The 9020 SFF is the number 3 best seller in Amazon desktops today. The Mac mini will perform the best of the three, you'll also pay $418 more for it and the ports are rather limited. Ram is not upgradable after you buy it. The 9020 comes with 16GB that you can easily upgrade to 32. The HP AIO has a low quality 1080p LCD display that you are mostly stuck with. You can buy an LG 4K 27" display to connect to the 9020 and still pay less than what the HP costs. $241 + $268 for the monitor = $508 compared to $522 for the HP 24 AIO. The HP cannot run Big Sur either, a major downside for that AIO.

Screen Shot 18.jpg

Last edited:
The 9020 SFF is the number 3 best seller in Amazon desktops today. The Mac mini will perform the best of the three, you'll also pay $418 more for it and the ports are rather limited. Ram is not upgradable after you buy it. The 9020 comes with 16GB that you can easily upgrade to 32. The HP AIO has a low quality 1080p LCD display that you are mostly stuck with. You can buy an LG 4K 27" display to connect to the 9020 and still pay less than what the HP costs. $241 + $268 for the monitor = $508 compared to $522 for the HP 24 AIO.

View attachment 528309
Thanks for the reply. I'm using 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GORJY4U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 to 2 Dell 1907FPs for the moment. I'll upgrade the displays but that's what I had on hand to get going with. Both DPs work individually with either display at the moment. Where I run into issues is when I either boot with both plugged in or after boot plugging the second one in. Then I can't do anything but hard reboot.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GORJY4U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 to 2 Dell 1907FPs for the moment. I'll upgrade the displays but that's what I had on hand to get going with. Both DPs work individually with either display at the moment. Where I run into issues is when I either boot with both plugged in or after boot plugging the second one in. Then I can't do anything but hard reboot.
I've never adapted DP to DVI so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not. You'll need to wait till you get at least one new monitor to be able to run 2 at once. Those Dell 1907 FPs were great monitors 14 years ago and it's amazing that they still work today. It is 2021 though and monitor tech has changed a lot.

I've never adapted DP to DVI so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not. You'll need to wait till you get at least one new monitor to be able to run 2 at once. Those Dell 1907 FPs were great monitors 14 years ago and it's amazing that they still work today. It is 2021 though and monitor tech has changed a lot.
Are you running straight DP or DP to HDMI?

Last edited:
The 9020 SFF is the number 3 best seller in Amazon desktops today. The Mac mini will perform the best of the three, you'll also pay $418 more for it and the ports are rather limited. Ram is not upgradable after you buy it. The 9020 comes with 16GB that you can easily upgrade to 32. The HP AIO has a low quality 1080p LCD display that you are mostly stuck with. You can buy an LG 4K 27" display to connect to the 9020 and still pay less than what the HP costs. $241 + $268 for the monitor = $508 compared to $522 for the HP 24 AIO. The HP cannot run Big Sur either, a major downside for that AIO.

That #3 option is unfortunately not available here in the EU, and certainly not for that price. Would make a nice low-cost Hack for my poor guitar playing friend...

That #3 option is unfortunately not available here in the EU, and certainly not for that price.
You can find them with less ram, usually 4GB and an HDD and then upgrade it yourself to make it usable. As I said they go up to 32GB of ram. 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz ram kits are not that expensive. It's easy to find a low cost Sata SSD to use as a boot drive too. Your friend could easily find one at the Ebay site nearest to their EU country of residence. There are also Ebay stores in the UK and Switzerland. A 9020 SFF in good condition should cost about 150 Euros or less.

Screen_Shot_20.jpg

Last edited:
Back