Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

I think I've figured out why you had to disable USB 3 ports to reach the installer. Looking back at when I installed on a 9020 MT I had modded the UEFI to change two related settings.
View attachment 506371
I don't think that you changed both of these when booted into the GRUB shell.
I had done this before the install and had no problems. If you want to test this out, change these two and then try to boot the installer again to test. Of course, enable the USB 3.0 ports in BIOS first.
No I didn’t make those changes in GRUB shell. My 1st attempt at install got stuck in a boot loop, so I erased the disk and am in the middle of my 2nd attempt. If that doesn’t work I’ll enable USB3 in BIOS, do the grub changes and try again.

If that doesn’t work I’ll enable USB3 in BIOS, do the grub changes and try again.
Perfect. When you're in the GRUB Shell, add these two for good measure then try the installer.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Correct, I updated it to A25 last year.
Ok, so you created the EFI folder with PAVO's OC gen X and used your 2010 MBP to make it ?

I didn't post a picture of that part of the app but you should have entered in step 8:

8. SMBIOS - iMac15,1 (Serials and SMUUID will be entered later)

You're not supposed to enter the SMBIOS of the Mac you were using to create the EFI folder.
And again to re-emphasize, clear the NVRAM before booting from the USB after you've made any
changes to the config.plist. It's always good to do that first before booting the USB.

Ok, so you created the EFI folder with PAVO's OC gen X and used your 2010 MBP to make it ?

I didn't post a picture of that part of the app but you should have entered in step 8:

8. SMBIOS - iMac15,1 (Serials and SMUUID will be entered later)

You're not supposed to enter the SMBIOS of the Mac you were using to create the EFI folder.

Ah!, no I didn't enter any SMBIOS info apart from 15,1 in OC Gen-X, I haven't entered any other info yet. I created my EFI on a 2010 15" MBP using ProperTree.

I created my EFI on a 2010 15" MBP using ProperTree.
OC Gen-X creates the EFI folder and then ProperTree is for editing the config.plist that gets generated by OC Gen-X. You took the OC Snapshot with ProperTree to put everything in order after the SSDTs were in the ACPI folder and all the kexts placed in the kexts folder.

OC Gen-X creates the EFI folder and then ProperTree is for editing the config.plist that gets generated by OC Gen-X. You took the OC Snapshot with ProperTree to put everything in order after the SSDTs were in the ACPI folder and all the kexts placed in the kexts folder.
Yes that sounds about right, I remember taking particular attention when it came to snapshots. I eventually reached Big Sur desktop, but only with USB3 disabled in BIOS.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.21.33 PM.png

I eventually reached Big Sur desktop, but only with USB3 disabled in BIOS.
Good work on that. Now we need to find out why macOS says you are using a 2010 MBP instead of a 15,1 iMac which is from 2014. :think: You could try copying the EFI folder from the USB to the EFI partition of the SSD boot drive. See if that changes about this Mac. Remember to clean NVRAM too. Then boot from the SSD and not the USB.

Back