Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

@trs96 I followed the guide and it went smooth on a 9020 MT with the i7. I'm trying today to do it on an i5 and I'm hanging on IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0. Where did I go wrong with this mach
are you using Mac OS Big Sur or Monterey

@trs96 I was try to update my open core boot loader but I can't able to find bootstrap in the latest version.
If you are not dual booting with Windows or Linux, you can leave your config.plist settings as they are. Bootstrap.efi has been removed in current OC versions. With OpenCore 0.6.6 and newer, Bootstrap.efi has been replaced with LauncherOption. If multibooting macOS and Windows/Linux then: Misc -> Boot -> LauncherOption = Full and UEFI -> Quirks -> RequestBootVarRouting = True

0.7.1 will still work perfectly well. I'd suggest that you stay with that. If you do think you "have to" update OpenCore for some reason, then search the Dortania site on Github for answers regarding how to update OC.

Last edited:
@trs96 I was try to update my open core boot loader but I can't able to find bootstrap in the latest version.
Mine did not have bootstrap in it and it worked well. I installed Big Sur 11.5.1. 11.5.2 came out the day after I downloaded it.

Is there anything special to updates or do we just run them like on a Mac?

Hi @trs96 Finally finish setup optimac using your guide. everything look ok now using DP to 4k LG monitor. I use brcm4331 with AirportBrcmFixup.kext. wireless is up but bluetooth not function. can you advise is it Brcm4331 not support Bluetooth in Big Sur? if not can you suggest any card can support wifi and bluetooth?

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 9.29.05 PM.png

can you suggest any card can support wifi and bluetooth?
Never tested the 94331CD but yes, I do think support for those was dropped in Big Sur.

I've had the best results with the BCM94360CD which is an iMac card. Sometimes the adapter also makes a difference. Here's one I've had success with for the BT function.

This adapter doesn't include the Wifi/BT card. Must be bought separately.

Spent a couple of hours updating the 9020 SFF, I used the HackinDROM App to update OC to 0.7.2 then updated Big Sur to 11.5.2. I also installed my fan less Nvidia MSI GT 710, everything is working beautifully, I even have all USB ports working.

Update: After installing Big Sur and was happy with the performance and stability, I immediately replaced the SSD with a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO. Connected the old SSD, copied the EFI to the 500GB SSD and ran Big Sur installer from the old SSD. After installation I disconnected the old and restarted from the 500GB SSD, 1st time, fast and solid.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 3.06.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Tried running the OptiMac today getting it set up for my daughter. Does any one have any insight on why Safari won't run Netflix and on Chrome it runs but buffers constantly? Internet speed isn't the issue. I have it hard wired to the router with 497mbps down. I'm also having issues with Kodi buffering bad. I can run both on my MBP sitting a couple feet from the OptiMac and it's on WiFi at about 195mbps.

Tried running the OptiMac today getting it set up for my daughter. Does any one have any insight on why Safari won't run Netflix and on Chrome it runs but buffers constantly? Internet speed isn't the issue. I have it hard wired to the router with 497mbps down. I'm also having issues with Kodi buffering bad. I can run both on my MBP sitting a couple feet from the OptiMac and it's on WiFi at about 195mbps.
I'm not a Netflix user but it's probably a DRM problem because you're using the Intel iGPU for graphics. The simplest solution for Netflix is to play content through a Roku, Google Chromecast or Fire TV streaming stick.

The 4K Roku + is selling for $29 on Amazon right now.

Chromecast 3rd gen is the same price but is only 1080p capable.

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours updating the 9020 SFF, I used the HackinDROM App to update OC to 0.7.2 then updated Big Sur to 11.5.2. I also installed my fan less Nvidia MSI GT 710, everything is working beautifully, I even have all USB ports working.

Update: After installing Big Sur and was happy with the performance and stability, I immediately replaced the SSD with a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO. Connected the old SSD, copied the EFI to the 500GB SSD and ran Big Sur installer from the old SSD. After installation I disconnected the old and restarted from the 500GB SSD, 1st time, fast and solid.

View attachment 526952
Mind to share wifi/bt card you use?

Mind to share wifi/bt card you use?

I use a BCM94360CS2, dual band wifi and BT4 PCI card, around $43 on Amazon. I have a SFF with no internal USB header, but we can get round that with the BGG cable.

Back