Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Added back NVMExpress.efi as was stated in the manual for Haswell cpus and suggested to me in another forum.
Good to hear you got it working. IIRC you were running two NVMe drives in RAID0 ? Is that all it took was to add that efi driver ? Would be great if you could summarize what you did if others want to use NVMe drives.

Good to hear you got it working. IIRC you were running two NVMe drives in RAID0 ? Is that all it took was to add that efi driver ? Would be great if you could summarize what you did if others want to use NVMe drives.
I was reading about enabling NVMe for Haswell in the dortania guide yesterday. When I get in front of my build later I will have a go with my NVMe drive. Also something I forgot to mention yesterday, I was having BT issues with a USB dongle, it would attempt to connect to my Mighty Mouse, but would freeze the system. Later I want to install the BCM.......CS2 card and see if BT works through that.

Installed my BCM94360CS2 card and WiFi worked, but BlueTooth is proving to be a difficult!. The BT dongle would freeze the system, but now BT restarts the system and gets stuck in a boot loop until BT is unplugged!. I'll create a new EFI Folder with OC Gen-X and also make sure it doesn't show up as a 2010 MBP.

Good work on that. Now we need to find out why macOS says you are using a 2010 MBP instead of a 15,1 iMac which is from 2014. :think: You could try copying the EFI folder from the USB to the EFI partition of the SSD boot drive. See if that changes about this Mac. Remember to clean NVRAM too. Then boot from the SSD and not the USB.
I changed SMBIOS info in OC Configurator, I found that I didn't select the right SMBIOS in OC Gen-X which is why it probably thought I had an 2010 MBP.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.14.24 AM.png

Ran GB5 a moment ago.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.42.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.42.37 AM.png

I'd like to see screenshots of everyone's Intel Power gadget output at idle. Does your clock speed ever get to below 2.9 GHz and down to .7 or .8 ? I know that idle should be at a much lower speed than 2.9 GHz. Let it idle for at least 5 minutes with no apps running. Then take a screenshot.

View attachment 498209
I let mine idle for around 10 mins before taking a screenshot, the graph shows it hovering around 2 but, the average core is 3.06.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.19.13 AM.png

the graph shows it hovering around 2 but, the average core is 3.06.
This seems to be normal in Big Sur with these Haswell based Optiplexes. As long as the power usage levels are in line and temps are below 35C it's nothing to be concerned about.

Is it worth checking some of these tick boxes in the WiFi and Bluetooth section in OC Gen-X. I'm having BT issues with a dongle and my BCM94360CS2 card when BT is plugged in, freezes, reboots, boot loops.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.32.48 AM.png

Why use a dongle when that card has BT built in ?
I'm having the same issues with this card though without the dongle. I'm using @BillyGoatGruff method of connecting the BT to the rear USB port as there's no internal header on the 9020 board.

I'm having the same issues with this card though without the dongle. I'm using @BillyGoatGruff method of connecting the BT to the rear USB port as there's no internal header on the 9020 board.
When both are connected at the same time it can create conflicts. I would also check that the USB cable connection/wiring is good. There's can always be hardware causes for poor BT and Wifi issues.

Back