Contribute
Register

The Cube without intestine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A small update from my side on this.
I have got the NUC fully up and running now. Right now it is acting as a media-center/gaming console/Time Machine backup station.
Got some inspiration to finish this project. Have sanded the scratchy Cube with fine water proof sanding paper all the way from 1000-1500-2000-2500 and now I'm just started the polishing with the 3 step Novus kit.

I will then insert the NUC into the Cube and add some extra HD inside.
Suggestions on how to tighten everything in there is greatly appreciated.

I guess maybe the easiest way is to JB weld or otherwise stick a small motherboard tray (complete with standoffs) onto the interior of the Cube shell and then you can simply screw the NUC to the standoffs.

If it were me, I would do it by measuring the 4 holes in the NUC to get their spacing correct, then select material for the tray - I would pick acrylic as I have all the equipment, but you could use any nice flat stiff material such as ply or aluminium/steel sheet and transpose the positions of the holes as new standoff positions. Then offer it up to the Cube to determine the best place for sticking the tray into place.

You could do a similar job for an HD carrier, or indeed integrate the HD carrier into the motherboard tray.

Once you have the interior nice and sturdy you can decide whether and how to finish off the Cube shell underside. As the underside is never seen, and you do not have any handle mechanism etc, I'd be tempted to just leave the bottom open as you would then have access to lots of air and you can easily get in to wire up HDs etc. Also it would help your wifi and BT reception.

Thanks. I will start bending those aluminum sheets to hold HDD and NUC. It is going to be interesting to see how the Bluetooth signal is going to work inside the Cube.

Now I have been sanding and polishing and sanding and polishing again. The plexi glas now looks shiny and new. I have inserted a 3Tb hard drive and will insert and fasten the NUC into it.
Don't know how I have missed this detail before, but I just now realized that I need to install a touch button to be able to power on and off the NUC without having to lift up and push the NUC-button inside the Cube every time.

Is the Touch Sensor "MT0.2-ST-NR-N" www.edisen.de still the best choice?

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 4.41.31 PM.png
So in this picture I would connect red 6 and 8 to
Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 4.54.07 PM.png
GND and VDD on the Touch Sensor? My guess is that the order does not matter.

No, I guess the pinout is the following:
9 to VCC
8 to GND
6 to OUT

Reason: the touch sensor needs to be supplied with 5V (and GND)

good luck

MacTester

No, I guess the pinout is the following:
9 to VCC
8 to GND
6 to OUT

Reason: the touch sensor needs to be supplied with 5V (and GND)

good luck

MacTester

jespera MacTester is correct.

When implementing this touch sensor as a "PC power on switch" the first thing needed is the 5VDC standby power for the sensor VDD terminal. The GND terminal goes to the PSU DC common or return circuit (which may not be ground or chassis). When the sensor detects a touch, the LOAD terminal goes "high" (or the 5VDC is now present on the LOAD terminal).

In my implementation of these touch sensors, I use a miniature 5 volt relay. When there is a touch, the relay is actuated and the contacts of the relay are used for the output. This maybe overkill but it is a safe way to add the switch function.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks MacTester57 and Neilhart for helping me crawl, soon i will be able to stand on my modding feet and soon enough walk:!:
Have a great Thanksgiving. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back