1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi again!
I also have a Cube that need a lot of polish of the acrylic since it is full of scratch and glue from some tape.
This Cube came without the inside:

IMG_1586.JPG

Currently I don't have any big plans for this. Maybe just fit the Raspberry Pi and a disk inside.
I would gladly listen to your ideas on how to fit in a ITX mobo and how to tighten it up inside without the nice Cube chassi. Right now I don't have a workshop or a big stash with tools.

Regards,
Jesper

Just bought a NUC D54250WYK for this one. They just got them in stock at Amazon today.

Interesting indeed. I will get it today. Will test ASAP.

Interesting indeed. I will get it today. Will test ASAP.

If you did get one then I am interested to hear how you are doing. My fear is that these will be very hard to patch and get OS X running on.

I see the outgoing Ivy Bridge NUCs are now being incredibly discounted in the UK to sell off stock. My idea for a cheap easy Cube would be one of these discounted NUCs, with a chinese converter for the mSATA slot like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SATA-...ing_Drive_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f27d3a5d8 - add in a hybrid high capacity drive and you have a nice little machine.

Just a thought....

Why do you think that the Haswell NUC will be harder than the previous NUC?

Because for Haswell power management is done by the Mach_Kernel and not by IntelCpuPowerManagement.kext. That means that you cannot boot the NUC into OS X as easily as could be done with the last generation of NUCs - for pre-Haswell you could use Nullcpupowermanagement.kext to get everything going and then think about patching the bios later.

From the only posts I have seen so far, it looks like the Haswell NUC does need to have the bios patched, so that will need to be the first step. If that goes okay for you then it should be plain sailing afterwards.

First place for help on that is probably over at Insanely > Developers Corner > PMPatch thread.

If the bios is patched then it is a question of whether Intel has protected the NUC against flashing with non-standard bios and if that protection can be overcome. If there is no protection then that means this will be easy for you. I think some Intel boards, from what I have read, can - if you are unlucky - pose huge problems for flashing while some others are easy as pie. I really hope this is an easy one.

Good luck.

That sounds bad indeed. Now my feeling is :think::oops:
Maybe I ordered this NUC a bit to fast.

A small update from my side on this.
I have got the NUC fully up and running now. Right now it is acting as a media-center/gaming console/Time Machine backup station.
Got some inspiration to finish this project. Have sanded the scratchy Cube with fine water proof sanding paper all the way from 1000-1500-2000-2500 and now I'm just started the polishing with the 3 step Novus kit.

I will then insert the NUC into the Cube and add some extra HD inside.
Suggestions on how to tighten everything in there is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back