Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH OC Video Card
be quiet! Dark Base 900 (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case
be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 600W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle
Digitus Firewire 800 PCI-E Card

Hey guys, I'm ready to move on from my old MacBook Pro and get an actual functioning work computer, no gaming. I'll be doing some CPU intensive VST work (EastWest) but nothing overly insane, and looking to keep noise to a minimum due to vocal, guitar tracking, etc. I need Firewire PCI-e for my MOTU 828 MK.III, I read anything with that chipset is good for Hackintosh

I just want to make sure I'm doing "it" right, is there any advice you could possibly give me before I purchase? Too much, too little in areas, compatibility etc. Feel free to ask if I haven't elaborated enough,
TY, PabloJericho

Last edited by a moderator:
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - Why not faster ram? Or are you planning on overclocking it?
Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - I personally have a boot SSD + another for samples. What would be ideal would be a 250gb m.2 drive for boot/programs, and the 500gb SATA3 for samples (plunk your EastWest samples on secondary drive).
Seagate FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive - Don't bother with a hybrid drive, the SSD portion of it really doesn't do anything unless it's your boot drive. IMO get one or two 1tb WD Blue 7200 rpm drives. Pretty standard, good product.
MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH OC Video Card - The GT cards are typically good choices, they don't usually require the other nVidia web drivers (easy setup).
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter - C - No experience with PCI-e wifi cards. There are apparently compatibility issues because Apple only uses 1 or 2 wifi cards. I have an external USB D-Link dongle that works perfectly though.
GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle - No experience with bluetooth dongles
Digitus Firewire 800 PCI-E Card - Apparently Firewire cards are touchy for hackintoshes. I have a Texas Instruments card that hasn't given me any issues. There's a pretty deep thread here somewhere about them and which are compatible.

Thanks for the reply!
I went with that ram for no reason other than its what other people use, I looked at non hack pre-built's for audio and they all had 2400, I can go for 3000 or 3200 just the same.

I wasn't sure about m.2 and hack, and I already have the 850EVO in the MBP so it can go straight in, fair point about the hybrid, I don't know much about them. The Eastwest library I own is almost 1TB, so I'll probably get a 1 or 2TB SSD when they're a little cheaper again, fluctuation is crazy (same with ram, dear god)

Wifi and bluetooth are out of the end of the Buyers Guide so fingers crossed they should work well enough. I read the thread about firewire, it still seems hit and miss at times. I found the Digitus by searching the recommended chipset (XIO2213B), but I'm still weary as it's instrumental (some pun intended) to the function of the build. The reviews on Amazon have successful Focusrite user's etc so hopefully it should work. :S

Thanks for the reply!
I went with that ram for no reason other than its what other people use, I looked at non hack pre-built's for audio and they all had 2400, I can go for 3000 or 3200 just the same.

I wasn't sure about m.2 and hack, and I already have the 850EVO in the MBP so it can go straight in, fair point about the hybrid, I don't know much about them. The Eastwest library I own is almost 1TB, so I'll probably get a 1 or 2TB SSD when they're a little cheaper again, fluctuation is crazy (same with ram, dear god)

Wifi and bluetooth are out of the end of the Buyers Guide so fingers crossed they should work well enough. I read the thread about firewire, it still seems hit and miss at times. I found the Digitus by searching the recommended chipset (XIO2213B), but I'm still weary as it's instrumental (some pun intended) to the function of the build. The reviews on Amazon have successful Focusrite user's etc so hopefully it should work. :S

Personally I see no tangible benefits of using those faster RAM. Unless you applications can take advantage of the faster speed, I have to say that you should save money by not buying those "speedy" RAM.

What applications can't take advantage of faster RAM?

Personally, I can actually see a difference between 2400 and 3200 mhz RAM.

The M.2 NVMe SSDs look to be fully supported in High Sierra. For Sierra you have to use RehabMan's "spoofing" technique. I use it for my Samsung 950 Pro in my Gene system.

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH OC Video Card
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle
Digitus Firewire 800 PCI-E Card

Hey guys, I'm ready to move on from my old MacBook Pro and get an actual functioning work computer, no gaming. I'll be doing some CPU intensive VST work (EastWest) but nothing overly insane, and looking to keep noise to a minimum due to vocal, guitar tracking, etc. I need Firewire PCI-e for my MOTU 828 MK.III, I read anything with that chipset is good for Hackintosh

I just want to make sure I'm doing "it" right, is there any advice you could possibly give me before I purchase? Too much, too little in areas, compatibility etc. Feel free to ask if I haven't elaborated enough,
TY, PabloJericho

Got the exact same mobo with processor for the same purpose.

No graphics and only 16gb ram but holy **** the setup is taking my mind apart..

Have you completed and would ya mind walking me thru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back