Contribute
Register

The case against buying Gigabyte Z390 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It was a royal PITA to test those cards because the CNVi port on my motherboard is under my video card... The difficulty in pulling my video card is amplified due to the extremely large CPU heatsink that I use... I couldn't test with IGPU because of Reason #1 from post #1... Lol
I'm thinking about going Asrock which would be a first, I'm going small form factor/ITX and this one has everything I'd need. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HYPSLLS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

To be fair, most Gigabyte Z390 motherboards have really good VRM which means they are good overclockers.

Also building a mini ITX build soon. Ncase M1 is on order and should arrive in a few weeks.

Similar thought process to this thread, mostly due to the ability to swap out the wireless card.

Anyone have preferences of Asus vs ASRock? They generally seem comparable for z390 mini ITX boards.

Last edited:
Also building a mini ITX build soon. Ncase M1 is on order and should arrive in a few weeks.

Similar thought process to this thread, mostly due to the ability to swap out the wireless card.

Anyone have preferences of Asus vs ASRock? Thry generally seem comparable for z390 mini ITX boards.

If I were to choose between the two, I'd probably choose the Asus over the ASRock.

If I were to choose between the two, I'd probably choose the Asus over the ASRock.
Any specific reason? I was leaving towards ASrock only as it seems there's more hackintosh specifics out there that I can leverage, and generally seems to be a more popular choice.

p.s. I've read through your build posts -solid work.

Any specific reason? I was leaving towards ASrock only as it seems there's more hackintosh specifics out there that I can leverage, and generally seems to be a more popular choice.

p.s. I've read through your build posts -solid work.

I just went by how the VRM heatsinks looked on both motherboards.

On the ASRock, there's no heatsink on the two phases along the edge under the ATX12V connector. Although it shouldn't matter too much since these are probably the power phases for RAM, I would have still liked to see some sort of heatsink. On the other hand the heatsink on the primary 5 phases for the CPU Vcore seems to have an excellent heatsink with a lot of surface area.

On the Asus, there are heatsinks on all the VRM. Also, it appears Asus is using a 6 phase design for CPU Vcore vs 5 on the ASRock (although I don't know the amp rating differences between the two).

Either should be solid choices but, I felt, the heatsinks and extra VRM phase tipped the scale slightly in favor of the Asus... Just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back