Contribute
Register

The booting of the USB disk created with unibeast fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 Socket LGA 1150 (ATX, Intel Z87, DDR3, 6x SATA III)
CPU
Intel BX80646I54670K CPU Boxed Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell
Graphics
Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD NVIDIA GTX 660 (PCI-e, 2GB, GDDR5)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello to everyone,

I'm trying to install Mac OS X High Sierra on my PC. Premise that it has the following hardware specs :

Operating System = Windows 10 64 bit
CPU = Intel Core i5 4670K
RAM = DDR3 ; 8192 MBytes
MB = Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (Socket 0)
Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 & Intel HD Graphics 4600

In short,this is what I did until now :

1) I've created a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast and I chosen "legacy boot mode"
2) When the PC restarted I pressed the "F12" key and I've chosen to boot from the USB drive
3) On the attached picture you can see what happens. A window appears and it asks to continue,but when I do it,nothing happens

Maybe I skipped some important step,but I don't know what. Should I install Clover on the USB stick ? Thanks.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-12-03 at 12.25.59 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-03 at 12.25.59 PM.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Hello to everyone,

I'm trying to install Mac OS X High Sierra on my PC. Premise that it has the following hardware specs :

Operating System = Windows 10 64 bit
CPU = Intel Core i5 4670K
RAM = DDR3 ; 8192 MBytes
MB = Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (Socket 0)
Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 & Intel HD Graphics 4600

In short,this is what I did until now :

1) I've created a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast
2) I've chosen to boot from the USB drive
3) On the attached picture you can see what happens. A window appears and it asks to continue,but when I do it,nothing happens

Maybe I skipped some important step,but I don't know what. Should I install Clover on the USB stick ? Thanks.

Things to add to your ToDo checklist and rearranged may look like this:
  1. I've created a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast
  2. To make the Clover Boot Manager Screen and the Installer Screen /Disk Utility screen without clutter during installation , disable all other drives (that includes Windows 10) from the Motherboard by disconnecting their Power cable and leave only the Target Hard disk for High Sierra Installation( assumed you are going to install High Sierra on a Separate disk as nothing is mentioned in your post about it)connected to the MoBo.
  3. On reboot press del>BIOS >F7 Load Optimized Default BIOS .
  4. Press F2 to get Classic View
  5. MIT Tab> Advanced Memory Settings>XMP> Profile 1
  6. System tab> Note the current BIOS Version number ( write this down ) Make Date and Time to be current to your time zone
  7. To set the BIOS ready to boot the High Sierra Installer USB ( Legacy or UEFI mode should be specified) as the first boot device in Boot Option Priorities, will disable for now, any other devices (Real or Phantom) in the Boot Option Priority list.
  8. BIOS Features >Boot Option Priorities> Make USB Installer UEFI or Legacy as first boot device
  • If there are any other devices Real or "bogus/Phantom" like macOS or OS X etc, select and then click Disable. Leave only the Usb Installer in that list.
  • Disable Fast Boot for now
  • Intel Virtualization Technology can be ENABLED (this is NOT VT-D which must be Disabled from that list below)
  • OS Type Other OS
  • CSM Support may need to be ALWAYS in some cases for Monitor Display
  • Boot Mode Selection depends upon whether you have UEFI our Legacy USB disk to boot. Your System is better off with UEFI in which case UEFI only option
  • Other PCI Device ROM UEFI...
  • Networkstack Disabled
  • Dont mess with admin password etc
  • Peripherals_ PCH LAN Controller Enabled
  • XHCI Mode Auto
  • Audio Controller Enabled
  • Init Display First Need to decide which to select, depending upon to which graphics port is the monitor currently connected via Digital cable. Nvidia Gtx 660 or Intel HD 4600.
    • In many systems leaving the PCIE card in Slot while using Intel HD can cause boot crash ; same way Not Disabling Internal Graphics and making it auto and trying to use PCIE Graphics can also cause Boot Crash [keep this in mind when boot fails at the last stage with "Service only ran for 0 seconds .Pushing respawn by 10 seconds" error]]
    • If using IGFX , Internal Graphics Memory size is better to be 128 (at least 64M) and DVMT Total Memory 256M
  • Make Sure SATA Mode is AHCI
  • Make sure to click Super IO config and Disable Serial Port and Parallel Port also
  • Save the selected Options [best is to take screen shots of all the choices for your record and to post to forum for troubleshoot help)
  • On reboot, open Boot Device Selection Screen with F-12 and find and choose your USB installer to enter Clover Boot Screen.
  • If you cannot find your USB installer here on F-12 Screen, then either you have not made the USB installer properly or not done the BIOS selection properly and will have to go back to the drawing board before trying anything else.

Thanks,man. I made a lot of tries and I reached a conclusion : The USB disk where I have installed mac os x with unibeast is able to make the boot ONLY if I have detached all the others USB and SATA disks from the motherboard. If I disable them on the BIOS going on the boot priorities option,I don't see them when the PC makes the boot,BUT then the USB drive doesn't make the boot. If there are no other drives attached,where I will install mac os x ?

Thanks,man. I made a lot of tries and I reached a conclusion : The USB disk where I have installed mac os x with unibeast is able to make the boot ONLY if I have detached all the others USB and SATA disks from the motherboard. If I disable them on the BIOS going on the boot priorities option,I don't see them when the PC makes the boot,BUT then the USB drive doesn't make the boot. If there are no other drives attached,where I will install mac os x ?

• I suggested to disconnect all other drives from SATA , except the SATA Hard disk you want to install MacOSHigh Sierra .
  • I meant you to disconnect Windows disk and keep the Hard disk for High Sierra connected .
  • If you created High Sierra USB installer correctly, it will be seen in the BIOS along with the unformatted SATA hard disk meant to install High Sierra.
  • You should make the USB installer disk as the Only disk in Boot Option. Priority List .
  • You should disable the SATA Hard disk you want to install High Sierra and any other devices that might appear in the Boot Options Priority list.
  • This will make your "Properly Created USB Disk " alone to show up in the Boot Disk Selection Menu when you press F12 screen during reboot after saving the above in the BIOS.
  • If you still cannot find your High Sierra USB disk , you have failed to create a working Unibeast HighSierra USB disk.
  • You wil have to start that all over again
  • If you find the USB installer in F-12 menu then select and ENTER and it will show up in Clover Boot Manager Screen
  • There should be NO UNFORMATTED SATA Disk for your High Sierra installation in CBM screen
  • When you boot and reach Disk Utility , you expect to see the target SATA disk.
    • If you don't see that there also, then you press the Windows key and 2 ( number 2 Not F2) and the Disk should show up
    • Close and Re-open Disk Utility
    • Check if you can now see your SATA disk
  • Erase the SATA Disk in HFS+J Format and GUID Partition scheme and call it HighSierraSystemDisk or whatever name you want and then launch MacOS Installation.........

• If you have only 1 SATA disk and you have installed Windows 10 already on it and now deciding to install macOS High Sierra on it on a second partition, you are talking about Dual boot .
  • For that you need a different approach and should install Mac first and initially erase the set aside a partition for Windows using Mac's Disk Utility etc ..
    • If that is what you are trying to do, you are better off posting in Multiboot Forum -> Multi Booting.

Until yesterday I was able to boot correctly the USB disk where I have installed mac os x with the unibeast tool (in legacy mode) by detaching and disabling all the others disks from the motherboard and on the BIOS,today there is no way to boot it again. Plus,everytime I disable the disks on the boot priority list,they appear again when I reboot the PC. I attached a series of pictures,to show you. It seems that the boot ability of the USB disk created with unibeast is unpredictable. I want to :

1) try to rebuild the USB disk with unibeast and EFI mode instead of legacy
2) detaching all the disks except for the USB disk created with unibeast
3) boot the USB disk with mac
4) attaching the USB where I want to install mac

but first of all I need that the USB disk is able again to boot Mac OS X...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.19.46 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.19.46 PM.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 241
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.20.04 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.20.04 PM.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 288
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.20.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.20.35 PM.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 188
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.21.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.21.48 PM.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 191
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.21.59 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.21.59 PM.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 186
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.24.17 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.24.17 PM.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 209
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.26.14 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 2.26.14 PM.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 168
Until yesterday I was able to boot correctly the USB disk where I have installed mac os x with the unibeast tool (in legacy mode) by detaching and disabling all the others disks from the motherboard and on the BIOS,today there is no way to boot it again. Plus,everytime I disable the disks on the boot priority list,they appear again when I reboot the PC. I attached a series of pictures,to show you. It seems that the boot ability of the USB disk created with unibeast is unpredictable. I want to :

1) try to rebuild the USB disk with unibeast and EFI mode instead of legacy
2) detaching all the disks except for the USB disk created with unibeast
3) boot the USB disk with mac
4) attaching the USB where I want to install mac

but first of all I need that the USB disk is able again to boot Mac OS X...

Until yesterday I was able to boot correctly the USB disk where I have installed mac os x with the unibeast tool (in legacy mode) by detaching and disabling all the others disks from the motherboard and on the BIOS,today there is no way to boot it again.
  • Your uploaded BIOS images have omitted the "Item" in each row and have only shown the "Options" chosen.
    • Left Half of screen is totally cut off from view.
    • You may know what is what from your retained visual memory but not those who can only look at the images you've uploaded!
  • I have seen a "UEFI disk in your F12 menu. What is that and why is it showing up? Have you connected another disk as an eSATA disk? via USB? That is very confusing if you don't say anything about your uploaded images on your post or edit the image with some legends to show what is what[See uploaded edited image]
  • Please refer to my BIOS shots to convey my selections
    • To boot my UEFI High Sierra Western Digital SATA Spin Disk and disabling all the real and 'Clover created bogus disks" from "Boot Option Priorities" [Image 1]
    • My BIOS features selections for UEFI booting[Image2]
  • Your current BIOS Boot Options screen [1]
    • My suggested choices for Legacy boot If I were booting in legacy in my system as an example for your different MoBo.

Attachments

• 1.Your upoaded image.png
    1.Your upoaded image.png
    481.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.Your F-12 Boot Device Selection Screen.png
    2.Your F-12 Boot Device Selection Screen.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 1.My Boot Option Priorities in GA-H77M-DS3H.png
    1.My Boot Option Priorities in GA-H77M-DS3H.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
  • 2.My BIOS Features UEFI Booting GA-H77M-DS3H.png
    2.My BIOS Features UEFI Booting GA-H77M-DS3H.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • 3.Suggested Legacy Boot BIOS Features Selection H77M-DS3H.png
    3.Suggested Legacy Boot BIOS Features Selection H77M-DS3H.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
I have attached the screenshots to show you how my disks/partitions are organized...

MXT-USB is the USB disk created with unibeast

Samsung and WDC are the SATA (not USB) disks

WD 2500BMV n.1 and WD 2500BMV n.2 are the external USB disks of 230 GB each one where in the past I have installed mac os x and that now I can use for reinstall a new version of it

Toshiba 1 ; Toshiba 2 and Seagate are the USB disks where I save the data,they are not good to install mac os x

Attachments

• Samsung.png
    Samsung.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 150
  • MXT.png
    MXT.png
    11 KB · Views: 134
  • Seagate.png
    Seagate.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Toshiba 1.png
    Toshiba 1.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Toshiba 2.png
    Toshiba 2.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 156
  • WD 1.png
    WD 1.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 152
  • WDC.png
    WDC.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 158
  • WD 2.png
    WD 2.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I have attached the screenshots to show you how my disks/partitions are organized...

MXT-USB is the USB disk created with unibeast

Samsung and WDC are the SATA (not USB) disks

WD 2500BMV n.1 and WD 2500BMV n.2 are the external USB disks of 230 GB each one where in the past I have installed mac os x and that now I can use for reinstall a new version of it

Toshiba 1 ; Toshiba 2 and Seagate are the USB disks where I save the data,they are not good to install mac os x

• You are saying that all the disks shown on the F-12 Device Selection Screen EXCEPT the MXT-USB (your High Sierra USB Installer in Legacy mode) are not actually connected to your system.
  • Did I understand you right when you are saying you were running Mac OS X (version not mentioned) from External USB disks and you are considering them as the Target for the current Installation of macOS High Sierra?
    • If so, NOT a good idea. Very slow system will be created with external USB disk compared to SATA disks(Internal)
  • When you click the High Sierra Legacy USB Installer:
    • Can you see USB Installer in Clover Boot Manager (CBM) screen?
    • Can you see any other icons there? [See uploaded image of CBM screen from my System]

I need an image of the CBM screen after you select the MXT-USB Installer from F-12 to enter CBM screen.

If you see icons of devices you have disconnected from the MoBo and/or Disabled in the BIOS showing up in F-12 Screen and later in CBM screen you can run some commands at the "Shell Prompt >" below the CBM device icon(s).
It is the first (left most) tool you can use .[see image]
At the Shell prompt , you can type commands to display the devices both real and bogus by typing bcfg boot dump [ENTER] and then using bcfg boot rm 06 ( 06 is an example for a bogus device) .[Images uploaded]
When all Bogus disks are removed try bcfg boot dump for a last time to make sure none has escaped removal
Then type Exit [ENTER] to get back to CBM screen

In resistant cases of bogus disks still showing up, you may have to run BIOS Flash even if it is with the existing BIOS version if no new version is available.

Attachments

• 1.CBM _Shell Promt.png
    1.CBM _Shell Promt.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • 2.Shell Prompt_Bogus disksJPG.JPG
    2.Shell Prompt_Bogus disksJPG.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 158
  • 3.bcfg boot dump command.JPG
    3.bcfg boot dump command.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 183
  • 4.bcfg boot rm 06.JPG
    4.bcfg boot rm 06.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 148
  • 5.bcfg boot rm 05.JPG
    5.bcfg boot rm 05.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 6.Real Disks Bogus Removed.JPG
    6.Real Disks Bogus Removed.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 122
To make the story short,I recorded 3 videos of me that I try to boot mac os x from the MXT-USB drive,that you can watch here :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HJUZOG9M6sRcKfrbyTcObL86zHVHHDxP

you can start from 1 to 3. This time I haven't detached any disk from the motherboard. On the video 1,you will see that on the boot priority list I found the MXT-USB drive in UEFI mode. It was the first time that it happened and then it did not happen anymore...on video 2 and 3 I tried to replicate the success had on the video 1. In other words,on the boot screen and on the BIOS priority list I haven't seen anymore the UEFI MXT-USB disk,but only the legacy one and when I tried to boot MXT-USB usb disk in legacy mode,it refused to make the boot. This is an odd and unpredictable behavior...

Last edited:
To make the story short,I recorded 3 videos of me that I try to boot mac os x from the MXT-USB drive,that you can watch here :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HJUZOG9M6sRcKfrbyTcObL86zHVHHDxP

you can start from 1 to 3. This time I haven't detached any disk from the motherboard. On the video 1,you will see that on the boot priority list I found the MXT-USB drive in UEFI mode. It was the first time that it happened and then it did not happen anymore...on video 2 and 3 I tried to replicate the success had on the video 1. In other words,on the boot screen and on the BIOS priority list I haven't seen anymore the UEFI MXT-USB disk,but only the legacy one and when I tried to boot MXT-USB usb disk in legacy mode,it refused to make the boot. This is an odd and unpredictable behavior...

• Sorry, I don't view videos uploaded elsewhere.
    • With still images uploaded to this Forum and appropriate responses to questions to clarify anything that is ambiguous, I can usually figure out problems and fixes for the found problems.
  • I don't understand your rationale to go for a legacy boot option in the first place for an Intel 8 Series Motherboard that can very well handle UEFI mode, the preferred method for current Operating systems.
  • I also noted in your uploaded images , a disk in UEFI mode.
  • When asked to clarify what they were, your response in thread #7 was
    • I cautioned you against installing High Sierra on External Hard disks in USB enclosures.
  • All I wanted was the image of Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen when you boot your current system with your currently used MXT-USB disk shown in the previously uploaded screen shot from F-12 Device Selection screen.
  • Your current response with Videos will not clarify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back