Contribute
Register

The best G5 mod so far!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the final version with all the issues sorted.
I moved the base mounting bracket 1cm towards the front so it gives my more room to plug the cables in to the motherboard.

IMG_7130.JPG

All the fans been changed over to Noctua. (The amount of times I mention the Brand Noctua on this post, i should ask for a sponsership payment haha...)
No joke. it's just the best fans ever... so quiet...

IMG_7135.JPG

I started fitting the system out with a z97 ATXm Motherboard. Note system will not take any bigger boards
IMG_7136.JPG

The system had so many fans in it i had the add a fan controller at the bottom of the motherboard

IMG_7137.JPG

Installed software and fully tested.. So far I put 2 mother boards into this case.

IMG_7143.JPG

With the 3rd and final system, I used a Z370m motherboard with a Intel Gen8 i5
Kingston HyperX rams
I didn't want too much lights in my system hence i didn't get any of the RGB parts.
I picked a Asus Strix graphics card because fan doesn't spin when i am not gaming.
with all the fans on. system runs at about 24db which is very silent... can't hear it even at night time.
OS Win 10 Pro

With all that hard work done. I didn't want it to just hide behind the original metal side panel...
So I got my self a clear acrylic and cut it into size and made a small slotting lip on the bottom just like the original panel.
Consider this as the finishing touch.

IMG_3061.JPG

Now I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum that provided information and experience to make this happen. I have obtained large amount of research materials from here and made some improvements along the way. I hope the above can help you all make a better mod for yourself down the track. (Please wear gloves when working with any of the mac internals…:lol:)

That was like my plan originally, then I realise my fabrication skills is terrible then I only go for the USB and the RJ45 Port, since I uses HDMI audio. Also I skipped the original fans since I like fan control and a quiet pc. really a nice build!

Nice read and job.

I can't get my head around one thing though. You already had done two G5 (re)builds… You must have read quote a lot about them. I almost can't believe you missed the warnings that the fans would go to 100% speed. It's mentioned quite often.

Anyway.

I'm looking to do the same. My question is: How to the fans act when you run OS X? Or do the controllers work autonomous?

Nice job, congratulations.
I have one question about psu modding. You have used the original ground connection (green cable screwed into psu case) Why not solder to ATX psu own ground cable? Maybe looks like it is a silly question, but I plan to modding my G5 case and I have tons of doubts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back