Contribute
Register

The app’s authorization has been revoked (High Sierra NVIDIA graphics certificates expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm writing this post on my "Mini-ITX 1" Haswell computer (see below). I have just finished about 3 full days of troubleshooting this computer. I was wrong about the downloaded nVidia WebDriver from Google only partially working (in my post #113 above). It's fine; my problem was that Heaven and Valley require a working sound system, and I found that my /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext had an "expired signature," and I had no audio devices at all. I fixed that by copying my "Mini-ITX 3" /System/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext to a portable drive and installing it using Kextbeast into my Mini-ItX 1's System/Library/Extensions folder. (That has to be done with SIP disabled.) Once that was done, both Heaven and Valley work fine with that downloaded WebDriver. The graphics card in Mini-ITX 1 is a Gigabyte nVidia GT1030, a low-priced, low-power, low-profile "entry" card, but as you can see from my success story below, it can drive a 17" 1280 x 1024 display fairly well.

If any High Sierra user has an "expired" AppleHDA.kext problem, post here and I'll upload the one that works for me.

2022-06-16 Heaven.jpg
2022-06-16 Valley.jpg

I got the one from "Google Drive" and it partially works. "Heaven" will run at fully-accelerated speed (on my GT1030) but will go black if I select "Benchmark." Valley will open its splash screen but will not run (tries but then goes black). Also for some reason I have lost all the audio devices on my Haswell computer. Working on that now.
Yours work great for High Sierra now?
Can you share the Google Drive link for me, so I can try to download for my Nvidia GTX750ti for my high sierra, please and thanks.

Yours work great for High Sierra now?
Can you share the Google Drive link for me, so I can try to download for my Nvidia GTX750ti for my high sierra, please and thanks.
i posted the link above

i posted the link above
Yes. See your link.
The Zip included :
cudadriver_418.163_macos.dmg
WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg

*The above installers are sure work for high sierra?
*Must installed both for High Sierra?
*Need any update kext OR in Multibeast?

Please teach me.

Yes. See your link.
The Zip included :

Please teach me.
just install it

Yes. See your link.
The Zip included :

Please teach me.
You need the WebDriver for video acceleration, install that. You only ned the cuda driver package if you are using software that utilizes CUDA for speeding up calculations. That is a small subset of software available for the macOS.

I installed both on my system, so far have seen no problems.

Hmm. Thanks for trying them. But that's annoying. Really we need some verification that those drivers are genuine Nvidia produced ones. Why would they not work as before if only the certificate part has been updated?

A few people have mentioned being offered new drivers by Nvidia support but it seems odd they haven't updated the public repository with them - I just checked etc.
As best as I can tell they are genuine. I don't see it as being all that odd that they haven't updated the public repository, it has been nearly 4 years since Apple explicitly removed Nvidia from further development of drivers for Mojave and beyond. Also nearly 2 years since the last update was made for the last security patch released by Apple for High Sierra. So members of the Mac development team would have moved to other responsibilities. I am actually a bit surprised someone in support did repackage the drivers they had and as soon as they did.

Ideally they will at least post a repackaged driver for the last update of each OS on the download site. But who knows what corporate hurdles that needs to go through.

I am actually a bit surprised someone in support did repackage the drivers they had and as soon as they did.

Yes, I understand, but the sentence above contradicts what you said previously about obsolescence.

What is more, if your summary is correct, why continue to offer the now out-dated drivers for download at all then? They are still there and I checked them.

So while I am very happy to know that official updated drivers are available ... why hide them behind a "Support" wall? That will be interesting to learn ...

Yes, I understand, but the sentence above contradicts what you said previously about obsolescence.

What is more, if your summary is correct, why continue to offer the now out-dated drivers for download at all then? They are still there and I checked them.

So while I am very happy to know that official updated drivers are available ... why hide them behind a "Support" wall? That will be interesting to learn ...
I see no contradiction. Support and developers are often in separate operations. Someone in support had the tools to repackage an existing driver installer with a current Nvidia security certificate. The developers certificate from Apple for High Sierra and earlier never was revoked, they just did not get issued one that would allow development and installation on Mojave or later.

Maintenance of the download site may be under yet another group. That is why I mentioned corporate hurdles. Maybe they will get to it eventually, but are concentrating on other material for Windows or Linux that needs updated certificates.

As for "genuine", this recent post at MacRumors - Today at 12:40 AM - includes an image of the certificate used to sign the drivers. Issued to Nvidia, expires in 2027.

I see no contradiction.

Not so simple, but if that is the view you take. :thumbup:

Even if the certificate has been officially renewed - which was not the problem, it had been revoked - the MacRumours posts imply a new certificate has been authorised and Nvidia has repackaged the same driver - 387.10.10.10.40.140.

I still wonder why not just release 387.10.10.10.40.141 and have that one available to download from the official web-site, rather than leave the revoked one, with the same release number, up?

If your argument is true, it will never be posted. But perhaps it will ... eventually.

Edit:

As an addendum, I wonder if this might put people off downloading from Google Drive ?

Warning.png
o_O

Last edited:
In case anyone is trying to troubleshoot due to expired certificates, I found this web page by Dortania useful. Although it initially deals with audio, later in the article I found a Terminal command that helps to identify expired certificates of whatever type. If you run the Terminal command below, Terminal will reply with a listing of everything that concerns it about your computer's extensions. Many items are not a problem (like extensions not having "info.plists") but that's how I found out that "AppleHDA.kext" had expired, and replacing that kext with a later version (from Mojave) fixed the nVidia WebDrivers completely. Run it and see what you can see.

Kextcache Check.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back