Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
those of you who have purchased 660ti's or higher... do you have buyers remourse?
No, my 660ti blows my old 6870 out of the water. I do realtime 3D artwork on OSX and gaming on Winbugs. Both are much better off with the 660ti.
would you live on the edge and go radeon 7xxx
No, there's no guarantee those AMD drivers will still be in the official 8.3 release. I'd wait for the release to be sure.
wait for the 2013 mac pro

and buy a oem version of that card.
Depends on whether you need a card right now or can wait to see what comes...

Correct me if I'm wrong but you also need to make sure that you're using supported monitors in terms of if they're digital/analogue output?

According to the cards specs though you can use 4 screens coming off all the output ports.

Okay, I tested this again last night. You were absolutely correct! If I use a DVI-VGA Adapter the machine doesn't like it. But, when I used 2 DVI and 1 HDMI, not one issue. Kudos, to you and everyone else that helped me figure this out. I can officially remove Windows7, but will probably keep for various reasons.
Now,to get Resolve to recognize the card. Lol :p

Sorry i wanted to keep my post short and sweet since i am prone to excessive banter.

they call me the thread killer in these parts... havent you heard.

Ive done tons of research already...

so far ive gathered that the gtx 6xx lack in performance on mountain lion and have issues with fcp...

studies show a 60% chance the new 2013 mac pros will sport a 7950

same studies prove radeon 7xxx cards are working on 8.3 preview.. not sure on how well.

after having performance issues with my 660 (windows and os x) i did some research and found the problem of stuttery frames to be very common especially with diablo2

not sure if that shows bad drivers or bad hardware...

my research shows that radeons 5770 5870 and 6870 work great in os x and have worked great for a while now...

ive seen complaints about expensive kepler cards getting similar benchmarks as the 6870's etc.. that they replaced..

at the end of the day

i want the most os x friendly so thats why i initially chose kepler...

however I realize this might not be best so I want to hear first hand from 660 ti and 670 owners to see if going form my gk 106 to a gk 104 will bring me joy and bliss that can radiate from the 27" monitor in front of me.

so if you are still with me in...

those of you who have purchased 660ti's or higher... do you have buyers remourse?

would you live on the edge and go radeon 7xxx

or would u say screw kepler

wait for the 2013 mac pro

and buy a oem version of that card.

This is probably not the right thread to discuss this but, FCPX in my opinion words better with AMD cards. When I had a 5770 in the machine FCPX ran brilliantly. That isn't to say that GTX 285 or 9800GT didn't run it either but the 5770 just ran quiet and never got hot no matter how many effects I applied to the 7 minute timelines. Now, enter a GTX480 and a GTX660Ti. The program just screams and I can edit on both FCPX and PPro CS6 at the same time. The problem with the GTX480 is HEAT and a lot of it. The 660Ti, quiet, 3 monitors, runs cool, and has the bonus of CUDA. Can't go wrong in my opinion. Good luck in your choice either way.

No, my 660ti blows my old 6870 out of the water. I do realtime 3D artwork on OSX and gaming on Winbugs. Both are much better off with the 660ti.

No, there's no guarantee those AMD drivers will still be in the official 8.3 release. I'd wait for the release to be sure.

Depends on whether you need a card right now or can wait to see what comes...

THANKS!

awesome to hear from a former 6870 owner..

I bet going from a 4850 would = even more dramatic improvements.

I wonder if the gtx 660 issues i experienced were just one off.. or maybe just early adopter buggs.. it is after all the newest chip from nvidia. gk 106...

I bet a gk 104 based board will bring happyness.

tho I have to say... I am really impressed by the 7950 ... and 7970.. to be able to get base 7970 and oc it go the ghz version easily and get gtx 680 beating perfomance for less $$ is very compelling..

Honestly im not that big of a gamer... its justs the high resolution that is killing me... gtx 660ti @ 1080 max settings = 60+fps gtx 660ti @ 2560x1440 max settings = 35 fps.. pretty crappy...

its the same storry with every card.. the 7950 and 7970 have def pulled ahead at higher res gaming...

the saddest part is im not even a huge gamer.... i just want to be able to play basic games every now and then and have them look good...

errrrrr

come on freaking 8.3 realease already!

I wonder if i were to pull the trigger on 7xxx if its worth the risk when i have a exchange policy.. maybe 8.3 will come out within the exchange period and if it lacks tahiti support... simply exchange for gtx 6xx

This is probably not the right thread to discuss this but, FCPX in my opinion words better with AMD cards. When I had a 5770 in the machine FCPX ran brilliantly. That isn't to say that GTX 285 or 9800GT didn't run it either but the 5770 just ran quiet and never got hot no matter how many effects I applied to the 7 minute timelines. Now, enter a GTX480 and a GTX660Ti. The program just screams and I can edit on both FCPX and PPro CS6 at the same time. The problem with the GTX480 is HEAT and a lot of it. The 660Ti, quiet, 3 monitors, runs cool, and has the bonus of CUDA. Can't go wrong in my opinion. Good luck in your choice either way.

Thanks for your thoughts

From what I gather the radeon cards are better at open CL by far.. with open cl showing the brightest future...

obviously nvidia has cuda.. but for my current needs I am only doing photography and minor video but you never want to limit your self to a unitasker. im sure most modern gpus have no problem doing open cl... you just have to ask if CUDA is worth it or not.. I am no expert on either subject. but just from what I have read around I think open cl is touted as having more staying power. Toms hardware for one is alway dogging nvidia for poor open cl performance saying that a lot of open cl is around the corner and NVIDIA will feel the burn...

But dont listen to me... I have no clue what either open cl or cuda even do... some sort of advanced i/o to utillize gpu and cpu at the same time... sounds pretty awesome but where is all the software that utilizes either technology? Is it going to be the old Blue ray vs HD DVD ... Does it really come down to the better technology or the size of the wallets of their backers.

that aside and if the 7xxx do end up in the mac pro.. I think that fact alone will be very compeling... Im sure anytime apple opens up more hardware its always a great treat for the hackintosh world, wether they are late to the party or not... im sure most will be happy to see 7xxx support.

Thanks for your thoughts

From what I gather the radeon cards are better at open CL by far.. with open cl showing the brightest future...

obviously nvidia has cuda.. but for my current needs I am only doing photography and minor video but you never want to limit your self to a unitasker. im sure most modern gpus have no problem doing open cl... you just have to ask if CUDA is worth it or not.. I am no expert on either subject. but just from what I have read around I think open cl is touted as having more staying power. Toms hardware for one is alway dogging nvidia for poor open cl performance saying that a lot of open cl is around the corner and NVIDIA will feel the burn...

But dont listen to me... I have no clue what either open cl or cuda even do... some sort of advanced i/o to utillize gpu and cpu at the same time... sounds pretty awesome but where is all the software that utilizes either technology? Is it going to be the old Blue ray vs HD DVD ... Does it really come down to the better technology or the size of the wallets of their backers.

that aside and if the 7xxx do end up in the mac pro.. I think that fact alone will be very compeling... Im sure anytime apple opens up more hardware its always a great treat for the hackintosh world, wether they are late to the party or not... im sure most will be happy to see 7xxx support.

I read about this before too. I guess it has to do with coding. OpenCL, is a simpler code base than OpenGL or CUDA. Therefore, a lot of programers want to go that route. This could be why Adobe added OpenCL support to several programs in CS6. I wonder what they will do in CS6.5 or 6.6. LOL :D

Hello,

I am looking for a graphics card for my hackintosh.
The 660 ti seems perfect, but what about compatibility with FCPX??

I read with MacOSX 10.8.2 it works better. This is true for everyone?
I use a lot FCPX, I'm afraid to buy a 660TI and it does not work.

Thank you for your help.

Considering the sleep issue, I am also experiencing a problem with waking my system from sleep. Same as more people are experiencing, system wakes up but display does not go on.

In my theory it is linked to power states of the graphics card, but have not be able to fix it. It WILL wake from sleep after i ran software that heavily uses the card. For example a Unigine 3.0 Benchmark. From a clean boot, it will not wake from sleep. This would explain why, because the GPU is still in a low pstate. When stressing it a bit, it will wake. But only until the next reboot.
Does this sound plausible? My system is i3770, ga-z77-ds3h, MSI 660Ti PE OC, 16GB 1600mhz RAM.

PS. FCPX runs, but not stable, quite laggy actually. It will hang occasionally (Open GL error).

@dtrvndrn: Could you please share with us your bios settings/work flow for installing OS X?

I am now trying to do a clean install of os x 10.8.2 and then for graphics just install the nvidia drivers.

EDIT: After clean install, Had sleep working for a while, after i patched the drivers (geforce and cuda), this stopped working. However, FCPX seems to be working perfectly without any open GL errors. I'm happy, since sleep is not one of my priorities for this system. Still if anyone knows if above theory could be correct, please respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back